spinning metal noise in transmission

spinning metal noise in transmission

80cj7okc

Jeeper
Thanks
First this is a great forum! I have owned my jeep for about a month and have learned alot by reading many posts here. I have a 1980 CJ7 with the straight 6 and T-5 Transmission .

That being said I do have a problem I cannot find the solution here, yet. I have a spinning metal noise around my Transmission when I am driving forward or backward. I changed my front differential wheel seals and on the way home this spinning metal sound started to come from under my jeep. It gets louder as I drive faster but does not rattle as I hit a bump. It does not get higher pitched as I drive faster only louder. I have jacked up my rear wheels to engage the Transmission to see what could be causing it. I have engaged both reverse and 1st and cannot here the sound. If I need to give more info let me know. Thanks for the help.
chris

Last edited:
:confused:

So didn't make the noise when on jack stands, but front wheels weren't moving... and only started making this sound after you replaced the seals in the front?

If that was all true...

I'd almost recommend re going through what you did to make sure everything went back correct... (I've packed wheel bearings and had to tear it all back apart due to "extra Piece" when done ;)) I'd also check all fluid levels in all areas to be sure its not that... Front & Rear diffs, Tranny, Transfer Case , lube up all grease points on drive train...

Others will be here shortly, and hopefully have much more info or suggestions for you...

Cheers :chug: and welcome to the site!
~ JR

I'm with JR, if you just worked on the front end I'd start checking things there.

"Front diferential wheel seals"? I have to assume you are not talking your inner axle seal but mean the grease seals inside the hub? Did you only remove the wheel hub assembly to replace seal and repack the bearings?
If so put the front end in the air and spin the wheels by hand, grab the wheel with both hands and see if there is any loose or excesive movement.
Any noise? spin freely?

did you look at the throw out bearing??:cool:

You are only going to hear the throwout bearing when engaged, not released.

Dis-engage the lockouts hubs and run it 2WD, the front driveshaft and axles won't be turning then. That should eliminate the front seals, unless the front wheel bearings are loose.

Checked the tranny fluid level lately?

I always found it to be the other way around.
It gets quiet when you press the clutch peddle.:cool:

You are only going to hear the throwout bearing when engaged, not released.

Dis-engage the lockouts hubs and run it 2WD, the front driveshaft and axles won't be turning then. That should eliminate the front seals, unless the front wheel bearings are loose.

Checked the tranny fluid level lately?

When the pedal is released, the throwout bearing is not rotating. The engine is spinning at the same rpm as the tranny input shaft.

the throw out bearing isn't on the tranny input shaft, is it?:cool:
and yes it is spinning relative to it's center race which is not spinning.
when the peddle is engaged it takes the slop out of the bearing and keeps it from making noise.:D

When the pedal is released, the throwout bearing is not rotating. The engine is spinning at the same rpm as the tranny input shaft.

First things first. It's curious that it started right after you did some work, so like the others said, I would be rechecking my work before anything else. If the noise really is coming from the tranny, and it's just a coincidence that it started after the other work, I'd suspect that your input shaft bearing in your T-5 might be going bad. It would only make the noice when you're actually moving, and not at idle. It also might not make noise even in gear on jack stands because it's not under load. I had an SR4 tranny in my old CJ back in the 90's that did the same thing. I ended up replacing the bearing and it was good as new. I also had to replace a bearing in the 5 speed of my 1986 Toyota back in the day because of the same noise. It's pretty common. It's never fun pulling the tranny and Transfer Case , but once it's out, it's really easy to split the cases and fix a manual tranny without being an expert.

Your throwout bearing would be more prone to make noise when you're idling if it were bad. Since you said it only makes noise when you're moving, it would seem to eliminate the throwout bearing as a possible cause.

Still, I'd eliminate every other possibility before going to all the trouble of pulling the tranny. Good Luck!

I don't think it's the throw out bearing but it seemed like an easy place to start looking. I don't have a break down on a T-5 but it sounds like thrust washer or synchronizer. just as a guess.:cool:

the throw out bearing isn't on the tranny input shaft, is it?:cool:

The throwout bearing slides on the tranny input shaft.

RnoPTZ1TbPNTWn0JswXRWIUmD4aNX_-fLo5UsF2KK_FFrhnSqg.jpg

When the pedal is pushed down, the throw out bearing is loaded and spinning as fast as the engine rpm. The tranny input shaft is rotating as fast as the vehicle is moving.

Well I don't know about the others replies but I sure had that same noise on mine. I have a T-150 and it did that to me and got louder as well. I ended up locking the tranny up and found out that I was dry on fluid and it welded the gears to the main shaft :eek:. Since I have rebuilt the tranny I have never heard it again so please check your fluid level there.

I did replace the inner axle seals. I had a pool of differential fluid below each wheel every morning. I do have throwout bearing noise when engaged however this noise is different. Just to make sure I cover all the details. Once I put in the new seals repacked the front wheel bearings, put the axles back in and tightened everything up the noise appeared. The Transmission is full of fluid and it appears to be the correct type ie it looks clear not red.

I did check the front wheel movement today and i had to tighten one wheel so maybe it was just loose enough to allow the bearing to wobble and squeal while driving. If it is still there I will start from the wheels repack the bearing and move backwards

Thanks for all the input.

I did replace the inner axle seals. I had a pool of differential fluid below each wheel every morning. I do have throwout bearing noise when engaged however this noise is different. Just to make sure I cover all the details. Once I put in the new seals repacked the front wheel bearings, put the axles back in and tightened everything up the noise appeared. The Transmission is full of fluid and it appears to be the correct type ie it looks clear not red.

I did check the front wheel movement today and i had to tighten one wheel so maybe it was just loose enough to allow the bearing to wobble and squeal while driving. If it is still there I will start from the wheels repack the bearing and move backwards

Thanks for all the input.
Do you still think the noise is coming from near the tranny instead of the front end? If so, I'd suggest removing the floor pan tranny cover and boots so you can tell for sure.

Thanks for all the input. It appears that when I repacked the bearings on my wheels my driverside locker locked the axle even though is showed 2x4 on the locker, so the noise was the drive shaft spinning in the Transfer Case . I guess we did not put the parts back in the proper order.

Lastly the spinning metal noise was the dust cover for the output shaft on the Transfer Case .

Is this supposed to be a little loose and spin?

You need to fill out your profile so we don't have to assume you have a 1980 CJ7 as your user name suggests.:D

If my assumption is correct and you have a Dana 300 the yoke and seal cover are one, I think it's pressed on but not sure.

model_300_transfercase.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom