T-176 swap questions

T-176 swap questions

Rescue Diver

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with a fiberglass body and 1982 wide track axles, 258 I-6 with a 1995 4.0 head, HEI distributor, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, T-18 wide ratio tranny, Super Lift Springs and 33s, a 1997 BMW 328i, and a 2010 REDLINE CONQUEST TEAM Cyclocross Bike. :)
When I bought my 79 CJ7 project, I was told it had a 4 speed. After removing all the tons of parts that were piled up in the tub and checking things out, it turned out to be a T-150 3 speed. I called the guy I bought it from and he said he was just going on what the previous owner told him. Anyway, he then told me he had a 4 speed for it that I could have. He thought it was a T-18 but I went to pick it up yesterday and it's actually a T-176 4 speed. Well I have a Dana 20 so that won't work.

How strong is a T-176 and would it even be worth it to go to the trouble of finding a Dana 300 and the factory adapter to mate them together, or should I just stick with the T-150 /Dana 20 , sell the T-176 and save a little more to eventually switch to a ford T-18 /Dana 300 with adapter?

Opinions are more than welcome.

Is anyone looking to buy a T-176 ? :D

A T-176 is a good tranny, and will hold up to any engine ever put in a cj jeep. It's a direct bolt up to the exellent Dana 300 and will serve you well. I chose to put one in my 7 when I built it

A T-176 is a good tranny, and will hold up to any engine ever put in a cj jeep. It's a direct bolt up to the exellent Dana 300 and will serve you well. I chose to put one in my 7 when I built it

Thanks. Maybe I'll keep it and go shopping for a Dana 300 ?

The down side is that my jeep came with a brand new clutch for the T-150 . The input shaft diameter is different so not only would I have to buy a Dana 300 and a shorter rear drive shaft, I would also have to buy a new clutch disk and pilot bushing to make the switch.

I think I'll put the tranny swap on the back burner for now and stick with the T-150 3 speed and Dana 20 so I can focus on painting and mounting the fiberglass body and turning this thing back into a running jeep instead of a huge pile of parts. :D

I have been running a T-150 for 20 years in a CJ7 that used to have 35x15/15 ground hawgs on it, now runs 35 inch all terrains. The first 10 years of its life with me I abused the hell out of it in the woods...I can tell you from experience that T-150 is bulletproof....If you gear it right (I run an AMC 360, 4:10's and 35's) it is much nicer to drive around town b/c of less shifting....Highway, its not a rocket, but I run 65ish comfortably...JMO, but maybe think about keeping the T-150 !

A T-176 is not bad but no T-18

You could do this:
Ford T-18 to Jeep Dana 300
Jeep T-18 to Scout Dana 300
Scout T19 to Scout Dana 300

I'm in Cozumel Mexico right now, doing a little diving on vacation and I'm really happy to report that last Saturday before we headed out, I sold the T-176 to someone that can make good use of it with his Dana 300 , and I bought a T-18 wide ratio from a guy that was parting a 79 CJ!!!! It couldn't have worked out better. :D

A T-176 is not bad but no T-18

You could do this:
Ford T-18 to Jeep Dana 300
Jeep T-18 to Scout Dana 300
Scout T19 to Scout Dana 300

Here's what I did. For those that say that there aren't any factory Jeep T-18s left out there, I'd say they just didn't look hard enough. I'll admit that I got really lucky finding one so fast, but after everything I've read about them, I think it would be worth spending a lot of time looking.

I also verified that it is in fact the wide ratio by counting 6 and 1/3 rotations of the input shaft for one rotation of the output shaft in first gear! :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom