T-5 casting number

T-5 casting number

Vvajk

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 4.2L inline six, T-5 Tranny, Dana 300 2 stick T-case, AMC 20 rear axle, limited slip diffs.
I'm pretty sure my CJ has a T-5 in it, but I want to be sure and verify it. I've crawled under and peeked around, but can't find a number. Can anyone give me an idea of WHERE on the tranny I should be looking? It's covered in dirt and grease so knowing where basically I can wipe off some gunk to find the number would be helpful.

My T-4 was on the drivers side. I took a wire brush under and scratched around till i saw numbers.

Well, I tried to get at the left side, but the exhaust pipes and the skid plate make it almost impossible to get at.

My dilema is, I can tell it's either a T-4 or T-5 by the way it looks from the outside. You'd think I'd know if it has 5 or 4 gears right? The thing is, I just bought it back after selling it 12 years ago. I seem to remember it having 5 gears, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I can shift the stick into what would be the 5th position, but as I let out the clutch I get serious grinding and no gear engages. One time I had it in the 5th position at a stop and let out the clutch and the Jeep died, like it had been in gear, but I've never been able to get it to do it again. I don't know if it's the same tranny that was in it when I sold it 12 years ago, or if there's been a swap, or if 5th gear has been trashed somehow, or removed altogether.

One question I have is if it WAS a T-4 would I be able to shift it into an empty fifth spot like this. . . with the grinding? Give me your best guesses out there. For the moment I'm assuming it's a T-5 .

i would have to guess no 5th gear, no spot to shift to. I ended up dropping the crossmemeber on mine just to get to where i could see it. Use a jack to support everything. Also, the T-4 and 5 look pretty much identical from the outside.

Sorry to hear of the issues you are having with the T-4 OR 5
But then that is one of the issues with those trannies, they are car trannies not truck trannies so you need to be easy with them.
The novak link just posted has the difference in casting numbers, and that is just one digit. So you are going have to get in there close to make sure.
Good luck.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom