t5 rebuild or swap

t5 rebuild or swap

irish33in

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
new to me 85 cj7, 85 Virgo chopping into a bobber rattle can rat bike, and a 89 90 horsepower merc outboard bass boat
85 CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I think it is a non world class T-5 Transmission id#13-52-065-904 and Dana 300 . I have no clanks or rattling but I have to be stopped to go into 1st and 2nd grinds a little some of that might be the synchronizers?? Is there a stronger tranny than the T-5 that will swap with no mods? If I decide to rebuild my T-5 with a rebuild kit could anyone suggest a good one? Difficulty level of rebuilding the T-5 myself I'v only done basic tune ups break jobs but I want to get my hands dirty and due some work on my jeep?

i have the same set up in mine. my 4 gear likes to grind when upshifting, a friend of mine also has a T-5 in his rat rod. he told me that the T-5 's were not famous for there synchros which more then likley is your problem on the otherhand the world classes had better synchros. and i dont see why you couldnt put one in a jeep the only difference is the inners.ive never had any major issues with mine(knock on wood) there are rebuild kits it just depends on how dirty you want to get. the friend i mentioned rebuilt his before he installed it in his rat rod and his 4th gear grinds even after being rebuilt. you also have know that a T-5 is a medium to light duty tranny and if this is your daily driver or weekend warrior off-roader and not a ton of horsepower in front of it i would just rebuild it with the best kit you can find, requiring more research, im not too familiar with who has the best. in time i would like to rebuild mine knowing that im gonna keep my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and someday go back to bigger tires im not a serious balls out wheeler and the T-5 suits my needs, and again this is just my opinion

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom