team rush upgrade didnt go right

team rush upgrade didnt go right
I have not heard this, do you have a source of reference? I am not questioning you, I would like to know a bit more about the why.:cool: I have been running the TFI on the truck for a few years with the motor craft module. Perhaps this is suggesting the prestolite module be replaced on the 77-78?:D

No reference just thought I remember reading that the stock module would not last long with the TFI coil. My 78 has the Motorcraft module, is that a better unit than the Prestolite?

In most ways you are right. But the idea behind changing the cap and rotor is to get the wires separated enough to keep them from cross-firing. The Ford TFI cap is a much larger diameter than a stock Jeep cap, so it physically spreads the plug wires away from each other.
Might not help all that much with the stock ignition system still in place (although one place I can think it helping would be a water crossing), but with a CDI box like I have, it needs that separation to keep the wires from cross-arcing. The TFI coil really adds to the available energy at the plugs also.
Jeephammer over on Jeepforum.com has a great write-up on how the TR upgrade works and the theory behind it.
ah thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. i didn't do the tfi i just dropped in a hei dist. i wanted to try and get a understanding of the benefit

You should do a real team rush, it really woke my engine up. Module from an HEI and the TFI coil.

Last edited:
i did the team rush and gm module, but i just went with a msd blaster 3 coil. i didnt feel like doing wiring at the time lol. its been running good for over a year now with that and the motorcraft carb.

Get the ford coil from napa part# IC24

Check this thread for parts list:
TFI ignition upgrade - Jeepz.com

Also you don't need a module.
With the adapter, cap, rotor,wires and coil, you gap to 45 and your good.

See this thread for further info:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/useful-info-thought-id-share-665/

Further info if you wish to ad a 4 pin GM module:

heidiagram.jpg

hei_tfi.jpg

Last edited:
on the truck I did the cap and coil on the CJ I am doing dizzy, cap, coil and MSD 6. The truck has been doing just great for a few years now with the motor craft ECM.:cool:

i ain't knocking the tfi everybody thats done seems to be real happy with it, i just like simplicity i dropped in the hei dizzy, hooked one wire and the plug wires to it regapped the plugs set the timing and went with it. i also got rid of all of the :dung: that goes with the motorcraft. maybe its cause I'm a chevy guy at heart, but then again i did swap on a mc2100

Can I ask where you sourced the HEI, how long its been in there, and did you have to change out the drive gear?

i bought one of the china made dist. :eek: everbody talks about being bad. nope didn't change out the drive gear. i only bought it because a buddy of mine is a performance parts distributor and i got it real cheap. i bought my dad one for his k5 with a 350 about a year and a half ago and it works great no problems what so ever, his is a 65k volt coil. so i figured i'd try one out in the jeep and i am not dissapointed at all with it. its a 55k volt coil. and you can use any regular factory or perfomance tune up parts with it. my price from him new in box $55, i couldn't say no

Nope, Can't beat that price! :)

Not to thread jack but I installed a Jacobs Mileage Master ignition pak and coil on my 78 CJ5 about 10 years ago. It was a real wake up for the old AMC 304 !

Anyone remember those ignitions? I think the were bought up by Mallory...

brand new and billit nope i sure couldn't. the one i bought my dad was $45 new. it was a little cheaper because v8 chevy stuff is a little more common. im 100% happy with it
Actually, after last nights fiasco :mad:, can you get me one of those for that price? :)

A "tfi" setup is easier to maintain and more reliable.
Not to mention you can keep your old parts for spares
and swap them back on if things go tit's up.

Yea I know, thats what I have...I've been thru 2 CDI boxes on this thing and I'm getting tired of replacing them.
<rant on>
When I drove the Jeep into the garage last fall I had no issues. Now after putting it all back together, I found out last night the :censored: CDI box melted something inside. Now how could it have done that when I pulled the battery while the engine was still hot, and it hasn't had any wiring in it all winter? There is only 1/2 dozen wires in the whole thing now... Oh well, It just means I'll miss the race this year unless I can figure out another ignition system pretty quick...
<rant off>

Om my Jeep, which is also my race truck..

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom