TFI upgrade question

TFI upgrade question

CJ777

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ7, 2001 silverado, 2005 A4,41 F100,77 F350
I have the 1977 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with the distributer that has the plastic vacuum advance, i believe it is the prestolite distributer.
My question is; in order to do the TFI upgrade will i need to upgrade to a different distributer first? Like a distributer from a 1979 and up? or should i just go with an HEI upgrade?

Thanks, Mike

Well I just got back from NAPA without any parts in hand, Used the list from Jeepz.com and total parts were $174.99. was a little taken back thinking this was a cheaper upgrade:(. Is this the best choice for the $?

Just Empty Every Pocket

Really it depends on what you buy and from where.
But yeah It's better than an HEI and costs less.
A summit CDI setup would be best, but I figure
it's a jeep not a race car.

The coil IC24 is a V-8 coil it's what you want the square looking one.
Get the plug wire set for a I6 not the v-8 set.

Advance Auto Parts
For AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I-6 Distributor, '78 to '86.
Base p/n C193AP or FR109
Cap & Rotor p/n 202X

Last edited:
Ordered parts online from Advance Auto, cap/rotor/base/wires/coil for $83 shipped to my door free. I did go with alum. posts as opposed to the brass that were priced at Napa but hey it's not a race Jeep:D

Just Empty Every Pocket

just so you guys know that the 202x is a discontinued part now at adavance auto. ive been looking for a brass terminal cap and rotor and all i can find is a bwd select and the cap alone is $30.

just so you guys know that the 202x is a discontinued part now at adavance auto. ive been looking for a brass terminal cap and rotor and all i can find is a bwd select and the cap alone is $30.

Oh Joy!, thanks,

I just dropped about $200 on the TFI upgrade with a new Dura spark dizzy from a 78/9 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .
You are right it is a bunch of dinero but of all the upgrades I have done to a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l this is the most bang for your buck.
On the 77 the controller needs to be replaced too so it is even more but, once again, think of it as moving your machine into the new millennium.
It is a good thing and I do not think you will regret it.:cool:

On my 81 I changed the cap, rotor and coil and the difference was remarkable. I can't wait to see what this CDI box will do.
Don't forget to regap the plugs.

I just dropped about $200 on the TFI upgrade with a new Dura spark dizzy from a 78/9 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .
You are right it is a bunch of dinero but of all the upgrades I have done to a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l this is the most bang for your buck.
On the 77 the controller needs to be replaced too so it is even more but, once again, think of it as moving your machine into the new millennium.
It is a good thing and I do not think you will regret it.:cool:

On my 81 I changed the cap, rotor and coil and the difference was remarkable. I can't wait to see what this CDI box will do.
Don't forget to regap the plugs.

Sounds like well worth it upgrade, even if it saves me a little in mpg.. it'll be worth it.
Guess i'll be starting my upgrade soon too.

the good thing is you only have to do most of it once. :cool:

when i did mine i did the cap adaptor, cap, rotor, 4 pin gm module. and i put a msd blaster3 coil in and it ran a heck of alot better. with the 4 pin i gapped my plugs at .045". when i put the box in im going to .050"

I did mine with the cap, adapter, rotor, 4 pin, Ford E-coil and gapped to .045.
It idled great, started with the first turn of the key even when cold.

How was everyones mpg affected?

my fuel gauge hasnt worked in the two years we have owned it so i couldnt tell you lol.

my fuel gauge hasnt worked in the two years we have owned it so i couldnt tell you lol.

I would think that fix should come before any more upgrades!:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom