Build Thread The $120 Jeep CJ7 build thread

Build Thread The $120 Jeep CJ7 build thread
Spent 4 hrs getting ready to the pull engine only to find out my cherry picker was short on hydraulic oil and wouldn't go high enough to take the slack out of the chain on the leveler...

That would have me pretty upset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your luck sounds like mine, man

Sent from my gas grille using Tapatalk

Going better. Got the engine, trans, T-case, and front axle out. Rear axle will come out tomorrow and the carcass of the CJ5 can be hauled out of the garage to make room for the CJ7 that will be built using this engine, and these axles. Looking forward to getting the CJ7 in the garage before snow hits.

Teardown of CJ5 is complete, frame and tub is sold, and CJ7 has been rolled into the garage.

THIS is my true starting point. The CJ5 was for parts I will use on the build of this (the $120 CJ7)... that first has to come down to the frame.

BlRVHG4.jpg

Step one, Remove the hard top.

svfhrBH.jpg

Step two, Had my son helping me work on the Jeep. I’m trying to pry an electric connector off the rear window wiper, and I need something to lift the clip up to unlock it...

Me to son: “Go get me a screwdriver. Never mind, I can pry with my pocket knife.”

Famous last words of a fool.

Took about a quarter inch off the tip of my left thumb.... I guess I'll take a break on the Jeep for a while.

My wife will confirm that having patience is not my greatest strength. Gotta take care of the wife anyhow, she just had a hysterectomy this morning.

Side note, I had installed new LED lighting in the garage to cope with cold weather lighting problems the stupid ballasts were giving me in the old lights. Much better.

Last edited:
Oh, MAN - Made that funny feeling run down the back of my legs when I read that...... OOOOOOUCH.

The CJ7 never had a rear window wiper you have a Wrangler hardtop. Sorry about your finger, and my wife has gone through the same thing she will be fine.

Ouch dude I hope you and your wife get well soon

Prayers to you both…!!!

At least the more efficient lighting will help with the blood clean up...

LOL

The CJ7 never had a rear window wiper you have a Wrangler hardtop.

That figures... I know that a YJ tub fits on a CJ7. Weird thing is there is no latch on the hatch or the tailgate. They just fit together and the tire carrier is what keeps them closed. Gotta figure out how to change that because I want a them to latch. The tire carrier will be getting changed.

Doors, hood, windshield off, and rear seat out. Real hard to do anything with only one thumb in working order.

Hm8SQWM.jpg

Got a buddy coming over to help see if we can get the 258 running tomorrow. Don't really care, I'm not using it, and I'm not putting a single dollar in it, but it would be nice to know when I go to sell it later. Hell, I'll be happy if it's not froze up seeing as it's been sitting about 4 years.

Just don't run any bad gas through it. That will cause the valves to stick.

Turns out the engine has a knock in either the front or second cylinder. It will barely run, but it should be rebuildable. Knowing something is better than knowing nothing.

Thumb is healing very slowly, and the cold weather not helping, but a few more things have come off under Brandy's watchful eye. Brandy is my 96 lb German Shepherd who works as a PTSD/TBI/ service dog. She is with me pretty much 24/7.

f1gx0F3.png

Wow that’s a big dog

Wow that’s a big dog

And it looks like he can't wait to go for a ride in the new Jeep :)

Sh'e s like 96 pounds. She's used to going everywhere with me.

Seats will be for sale once they come out. I'm going with a suspension seat.

I'll bet if you got some pedal extensions on that jeep she could drive it !

Things have been crazy, but I managed to get a "new" tub home for the build so I don't have to mess with all the rust issues. This one has been all over the country. It's is out of Utah. I found it online on a Facebook Jeep page from a guy in Colorado. So we strike a deal, and he's bringing it to me... and he blows up the engine in his truck in Kansas. It gets towed to a diesel shop in Nebraska, and that's where I end up having to go get it myself. At least I got out of flooded Indiana for 3 days.

mEBgHgD.jpg

shAlfQC.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks