Tired Carter BBD

stoney bones

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ7

258ci, mc2100 ,SR4 trans, dana 300 Tcase, dana 30 front, amc 20 2 piece rear
So recently driving around some back roads....here and there i would get a wiff of gasoline. this spraked my curiosity. im not used to carbs so for a minute i thought, "maybe its just a carb thing." but when i got home and flipped the hood for inspection, it appeared the entire outside of the carb is coated in gasoline. no drips anywhere. just a sheen of gas over almost the whole thing.

i have already been eying a replacement. going recommendation found here i was considering either a nice new weber 32/36 or a motorcraft 2100.

would it be worth it to rebuild the current carb and get some more use out of it until i have a little more extra cash? or should i bite the bullet and get the new carb now?

last question...ive seen it asked before but never really saw a concrete answer. is one better than the other? weber vs. motorcraft?

well the motorcraft is cheaper, easier to tune, and keep running right, also the motorcraft will run damn near upside down. all you need for the swap is an adapter plate, and gaskets. you will also have to rig up a throttle cable, the easiest way to do that is to get a throttle cable for a late 70s cj with a AMC 304 , you can also buy generic throttle brackets and make those work on your jeep. i cut up and used what came on my jeep factory, we'll call it back yard engineering :D.i would tell you something about the weber but i have Limited experience with em, i can tell you they are a little tricky to get running right and keep em that way.

good points..as far as the MC2100 is concerned, is it better buying new for quality reasons or is it better to find one used and just rebuild it? or does it not much really matter?

I have the exact same weber you want to get. It's not a bad unit but if I did it again I would get a Holly. The carb was a PITA to set up and had to be done right from the box. Then it took me 3 trips on the dyno to fine tune it and pass emissions. It has been ok since then but still a PITA, also I dont like the small air filter it gets to dirty to quick. I will be fabing up some metal to make the factory one work.

thanks for that...its starting to seem like a general pattern that the webers are a "PITA".

i share your thoughts on the air cleaner...first time i popped the hood and saw that tiny thing on my bbd i thought someone was messing with me..

pastomper: what holly were you looking at? does the holly bolt right up or need an adapter plate also?

Well being as they don't make mc2100s anymore you'll have to find one used/remaned, there's a guy on ebay that sells em as a kit with adapter, linkages and all for a little less than what a weber costs new, but I don't have any reliable info for you on him just do a motorcraft 2100 search on ebay and it'll show up. The closest thing you can buy new to a 2100 is a holley 2300 but those are a little pricey and seems to me like they might be a little much for a stock motor.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Well being as they don't make mc2100s anymore you'll have to find one used/remaned, there's a guy on ebay that sells em as a kit with adapter, linkages and all for a little less than what a weber costs new, but I don't have any reliable info for you on him just do a motorcraft 2100 search on ebay and it'll show up. The closest thing you can buy new to a 2100 is a holley 2300 but those are a little pricey and seems to me like they might be a little much for a stock motor.

yea i came across that guy on ebay as well and wondered about his quality. seems pretty decent though. may give him a try if i dont find much else around.

Stoney I will have to look at my notes from my build (prebuild) and see if I can find the model number. If I remember correctly it was a direct replacement for my carter Yff. It may still have need an adapter to fit. Go to Holly's website and you should be able to find it. Just as a side note I dont have the elec. controlled carb and I don't think you do either being you jeep is an 81. Good luck

yea i was curious about that electric carb....the carbs ive been looking at have them. my carb has an aftermarket choke cable installed. the knob is near the defrost control.

hooking up an electric carb is as easy as hooking up a power and ground right? or do i want/need to stay with a manual choke?

its a pain in the <-BAD WORD-> to start right now...even in 70 degree weather...but i think thats more to do with the carbs state than my choke configuration :D

Sorry Stoney I ment emission wise. To change back over to the electric choke should not be to big a problem all of the wiring is there from the factory. Also it's a much nicer way to go!! IMO

I recently purchased an 83 CJ5 in Phoenix, I live at 6500' in Colorado. The engine is running very rich, I was looking for some info on how to rejet/rebuild the Carter carb when I came across this thread. Think I will just order the Motocraft kit from the guy in Colorado Springs. I eventually want to put a 4.0 liter head and MPFI on it off of an XJ, but thats going to have to be down the road aways.

Rod

just ordered a freshly rebuilt and properly cleaned / setup motorcraft 2100 off ebay. comes already properly set up for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

he can set one up for any application though. it was about $280 if i remember correctly. should be here any day.

maybe you can find one cheaper but i this guy has a good rep and appears to do quite nice work...i couldnt find any decent ones in my area so this worked out pretty well.

I recently purchased an 83 CJ5 in Phoenix, I live at 6500' in Colorado. The engine is running very rich, I was looking for some info on how to rejet/rebuild the Carter carb when I came across this thread. Think I will just order the Motocraft kit from the guy in Colorado Springs. I eventually want to put a 4.0 liter head and MPFI on it off of an XJ, but thats going to have to be down the road aways.

Rod

I suggest the same thing to you as well, mc2100. You should also start your own thread for more help

just ordered a freshly rebuilt and properly cleaned / setup motorcraft 2100 off ebay. comes already properly set up for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

he can set one up for any application though. it was about $280 if i remember correctly. should be here any day.

maybe you can find one cheaper but i this guy has a good rep and appears to do quite nice work...i couldnt find any decent ones in my area so this worked out pretty well.
Great man, you'll be really happy with it.

I went ahead and ordered the same setup along with his short ram air intake. Will post my experiences installing it, and whatever performance I get from it.

Rod

just an update:

i order the MC2100 on may 30th. my money was taken the 31st. Its now the 6th and the carb has not been shipped yet and seller is not responding to e-mail thus far.

if you plan to order this carb off ebay from this guy: ehrmannmp

just know he is slower than molasses running up hill on a winters day.

i dont really doubt ill get it....but i think his listing is a little misleading.

i was under the impression the auction was for an already built 2100 set up for a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ....as his title reads. but then when you read the entire thing (i suppose i should have before purchasing, my mistake) it says that they are built once an order is received. so basically someone wins the auction, then he goes out and gets a 2100 rebuilds and ships off. then he wants extra for the litte air cleaner, extra for the choke, and your supposed to tell him what vehicle you have and allow up to 5 days for the carb to be set up.....even though it specifically says it is for a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l / AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l non-smog

point is i have poopy reading skills and this guy obviously doesnt do things the normal way.

i thought this would be a quick easy purchase....if i knew it was going to be upwards of a three week wait .....well i would of just bit the bullet and did it myself and learned a little something about carbs in the process. guess i learned a little about ebay instead lol

ive already requested my money back if he isnt going to ship it out this week but i cant get a response from him yet so.......fingers crossed

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom