Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ7 401 Auto
'01 2500HD
'49 Chevy Pickup
'05 FLHT
'47 Flathead 45
So, one of the guys in our club is considering doing a swap from a manual to an Auto setup. Not wanting to discuss the pros/cons of an auto, but need some input on if you think the setup will work. What we will need to change, etc.

Current Setup
Engine, Drive train, and Suspension
79 CJ7 with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l cid Engine pretty much stock, other than a GM HEI distributor
T-150 3 speed Transmission Dana 20 Transfer Case
Front Dana 30 with power lock locker Rear AMC20 with power lock locker and one piece shafts
4" Skyjacker springs 35" x 12.50" x 15" MTR's on American Racing aluminum wheels Polyurethane bushings everywhere

Possible Donor setup
Amc GM Turbo 400 AT, same as GM except AMC bolt pattern, with the Dana 20 Transfer Case . All linkage and shifter and front driveshaft are there. Came out of a J-20 pickup, '79 if I remember right, has been sitting since I pulled it out. Ran and shifted fine probably about 10 yrs ago.

I would be paying close attention to the difference in length. You could end up with a very short rear shaft.
as far as the swap itself. what ever floats your boat.:cool:

The T400 is quite a bit longer then the T350. As IO said - I'd be worried about the length. Since it's already out - take a measurement and see what your rear shaft length will end up being. Don't forget that the front shaft will have a shallowere angle and could interfere with the skid plat / mount.

Hadn't thought of the angle. Will let him know what you guys think.

He is thinking of the swap due to smoking his Transmission and being offered a good deal on the auto. With everything else needed, may rethink this.

Hadn't thought of the angle. Will let him know what you guys think.

He is thinking of the swap due to smoking his Transmission and being offered a good deal on the auto. With everything else needed, may rethink this.

this sounds like an energizer Bunny project. It just keeps going and going and going. It doesn't sound like your buddy is really wanting to do the swap except it is "cheep and available" I think he will he will be unable to "cost justify" this project when he starts adding up the details, drive shaft , tranny mount , cross member, front shaft, linkages etc. etc. etc..:cool:

Good luck:popcorn:

So, one of the guys in our club is considering doing a swap from a manual to an Auto setup. Not wanting to discuss the pros/cons of an auto, but need some input on if you think the setup will work. What we will need to change, etc.

Current Setup
Engine, Drive train, and Suspension
79 CJ7 with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l cid Engine pretty much stock, other than a GM HEI distributor
T-150 3 speed Transmission Dana 20 Transfer Case
Front Dana 30 with power lock locker Rear AMC20 with power lock locker and one piece shafts
4" Skyjacker springs 35" x 12.50" x 15" MTR's on American Racing aluminum wheels Polyurethane bushings everywhere

Possible Donor setup
Amc GM Turbo 400 AT, same as GM except AMC bolt pattern, with the Dana 20 Transfer Case . All linkage and shifter and front driveshaft are there. Came out of a J-20 pickup, '79 if I remember right, has been sitting since I pulled it out. Ran and shifted fine probably about 10 yrs ago.

X 2 on the length issue.
I hope he's thinking full re-build on that "GM Turbo 400 AT". If it's been sitting 10 years all the rubber parts are likely shot.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom