transfer case fluid

transfer case fluid

jamie

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76 cj 5 360, 999 tranny and dana 300 transfer case, dana 44 rear and dana 30 front diff
i have a Dana 300 Transfer Case and am curious as to what fluid i should have in it. right now it has automatic Transmission fluid in it from the previous owner, but im unsure if it is supposed to be in there, or if its supposed to be gear oil. could this be part of my hard to shift into 4wd problem? if it is supposed to be gear oil, what weight should be in there, how much, and what is the best way to flush out the old Transmission fluid. im unsure of the year of the case, but its behind a 904 automatic Transmission

Novak said:
When filling your 300 with gear oil, we recommend that you select a conventional mineral oil or a para-synthetic in lieu of a full synthetic oil. Properly assembled manual gearboxes do not have the thermal strains seen by combustion engines or hypoid gears. Synthetic fluid in these gearboxes, while not harmful, is probably an economic waste.

Hypoid gear oil is sulphurized higher than Transmission oil and can be mildly corrosive to the non-ferrous alloys used for thrust washers in these transmissions.

An 80W-90, API-GL5 or MT-1 rated fluid is very good.

From Novak's website here... The Dana Spicer Model 300 Transfer Case - Novak Conversions all the way at the botom, although all the info is good to read there...

I use 80-90 GL5 in mine.
Try cleaning you shifter linkage, they get all gunked up over time. They also shift way better with a twin stick. ;)

80W90
...And as stated, cleaning up the linkage will help immensly.

looks like i need some 80-90 gl5 and some good cleaning of the linkage. should i worry about flushing the case, or just open the inspection cover and wipe all the schmoo out

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom