PecosCJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7
5 speed
Dana 300
44 Axles rear, 30 up front
i have 1986 CJ7 with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , T-5 and Dana 300 . heres the problem i been hearing. when coming to a rolling stop and tranny shifted to neutral. im hearing a ticking/clicking sound from Transfer Case area. can almost feel it through shifter. noise stops when Transfer Case is shifted from 2hi to neutral.

what could be causing this?
thanks

Transfer Case maybe, u-joints would be a good candidate and cheep to repair, differentials and/or front axle u-joints. You just have to isolate them one at a time.:cool:

is there a way to test these joints? is it safe to disconnect front and rear drivelines from Transfer Case and run engine to test if noise still occurs

You should test your U Joints on a periodic basis. To do this park the Jeep and put the parking brake on. To be safe also put chocks under the wheels so it can't roll. Lock your front hubs. Now crawl under the Jeep and pull on the drive shafts. See if you can get any free play. Also try to rotate the drive shafts. Any free play would most likely be the U Joints. There will be a little free play from the ring and pinion gear. What you are looking for is free play at the U Joints.
c1.jpg
But I don't think that is the problem. If the problem was the U Joints it would continue when the TCase was in neutral.
If you have the sound when you coast in neutral and then I stops when the Tcase is also put in natural then the noise is in the TCase.
How serious is the sound? I don't know. Those Dana 300 TCases are very durable but many of them do make noises.

can we assume the hubs are locked when all this is happening??:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom