Variations of Transmission and Transfer cases for swaps - what is the best?

Variations of Transmission and Transfer cases for swaps - what is the best?
Re: T-150 Upgrade?

I will submit that you are probably write about the trans in the Wrangler. When it broke I pulled the whole driveline and sold it to some youngster. If you would actually read my post, it answered your questions.

AH I reread and see I am wrong about the gear spread
Its all good we/Im wasting time as the OP has yet to let us know what hes looking for.

Your T19 has the synchd Granny low Correct?4.3 to 1 or 6.32 to 1?

Compound low generally delineates the 6.32 to 1 ratio. & yes it's fully synchronized.

We should get the title of the thread changed to "Trans Tech 101"

Do you use the 1st gear alot other than woods conditions?Does the synchd 1st help that much to use it?

Thanks

We should get the title of the thread changed to "Trans Tech 101"

Do you use the 1st gear alot other than woods conditions?Does the synchd 1st help that much to use it?

Thanks

With the compound or Granny low. I don't think it's that big a deal, but when your in a tight spot offroad it can be real handy. Low gear is good on the street for starting from a stop on steep hills. The way I set up my truck 4th is kind of like Overdrive . I'm running 38" tires with 4.56 gears.

I think we should explore a little more on bell housings, just because a bolt pattern is the same does not mean it will work with that bell housing, shaft length is an issue that also needs to be addressed, a lot of the shafts are of different lengths and as are the size of bushings needed for the pilot. another point is where the clutch rod runs on the shaft in relation to how it makes the throw out bearing engage the pressure plate etc. these can seem like simple or stupid questions until a front input shaft gives 20 miles from a paved road.
I wheel with a guy who shoehorned a 350,th350,Dana 300 into his mid 70s jeep using junkyard parts that has had so many issues he is building a new project to get it right. He also is the guy who decided to put a synthetic brake fluid in his mid 70s system and after around a hours trail ride he lost all brakes, seems the mid 70s rubber was not up to the synthetic and shrunk, ripped and spit itself into little little parts all through the system. A true frankenjeep, or nightmare jeep. However his learning curve is quick, he see's why the rest of us buy parts from those so called over priced adapter makers. While he is doing repairs we are wheeling.
Nice discussion on trannies by the way, the 4500, strong tranny, will handle v8 power, a great choice for large engines, and the AX15 is another good choice and being as it is a bit older would cost less, we all have our favorites, Jeep it seems has at times put some really raw choices in the universal platform, My 67 has a three speed known for gernading, I have it on the list for a swap, it is the T-86 , reputation is somewhere around the puegot pos from the YJ days.
Anyway, enjoy reading this thread, it is interesting the tech being discussed

IMO dumping the clutch rod and converting to a hydraulic clutch saves alot of hassles down the road. Also it can be done with factory Jeep parts. They say you need a pilot bushing puller to extract the pilot bushing. I get done with a socket & a little grease. I've swapped 2.3 liter Ford 4 bangers on to T-90 's , 327 Rochester ram jet fuel injected Chevy's in to flat fenders, AMC 401 with Dana 300 /T-18 & Scout 44's into a Wrangler. T-18 's & T-19's into late model CJ's. I've use both Novak & Advance Adapters & I have to say they both make Quality products that last. Some were mine & some were friends, but everybody was happier with their "Franken Jeep" than they had been with their stocker for various reasons. Granted there are a myriad of issues for each swap that have to be worked out , but that the nature of the swapping game.:cool:

IMO dumping the clutch rod and converting to a hydraulic clutch saves alot of hassles down the road. Also it can be done with factory Jeep parts. They say you need a pilot bushing puller to extract the pilot bushing. I get done with a socket & a little grease. I've swapped 2.3 liter Ford 4 bangers on to T-90 's , 327 Rochester ram jet fuel injected Chevy's in to flat fenders, AMC 401 with Dana 300 /T-18 & Scout 44's into a Wrangler. T-18 's & T-19's into late model CJ's. I've use both Novak & Advance Adapters & I have to say they both make Quality products that last. Some were mine & some were friends, but everybody was happier with their "Franken Jeep" than they had been with their stocker for various reasons. Granted there are a myriad of issues for each swap that have to be worked out , but that the nature of the swapping game.:cool:
I think we are saying the samething, when using one of these companies you benefit from their extensive research and tooling. making a conversion simple and boltin.

I think we are saying the samething, when using one of these companies you benefit from their extensive research and tooling. making a conversion simple and boltin.

Rodger That, I was agreeing with you on the adapters & adding some of my own B.S. to that. Over.:cool:

Really liking early CJ-5s, I am a big fan of the V6, fits really nice and has tons of support. HP is good abut finding bell housings can be fun. I also am Limited to length when it comes to trannies so I like the classic D 18 tcase with a Overdrive unit on it. My CJ6 will be running a 3550 as drive shaft angle is not a problem. 3550 is plenty strong enough for 6 cylinder power, lighter than the 4500 and bolts right into a 231 tcase. reason I want the 231 over the 241or is it accepts the 4 to 1 kit plus it has a 2 low kit available so you get the benefits of a twinstick but in a compact single stick. The 231 is a great case that is light and has a ton of aftermarket support, plus I have abused them for years and learned a lot of respect for them.

Really liking early CJ-5s, I am a big fan of the V6, fits really nice and has tons of support. HP is good abut finding bell housings can be fun. I also am Limited to length when it comes to trannies so I like the classic D 18 tcase with a Overdrive unit on it. My CJ6 will be running a 3550 as drive shaft angle is not a problem. 3550 is plenty strong enough for 6 cylinder power, lighter than the 4500 and bolts right into a 231 tcase. reason I want the 231 over the 241or is it accepts the 4 to 1 kit plus it has a 2 low kit available so you get the benefits of a twinstick but in a compact single stick. The 231 is a great case that is light and has a ton of aftermarket support, plus I have abused them for years and learned a lot of respect for them.

IMO it's hard to beat the Dana 300 Transfer case. I love the simplicity of the all gear drive, no chain stretch issues. There are multiple 4 to 1 kits, twin sticks,Kits for 32 spline front & rear output shafts. The strength of the iron case it nice to boot.

Sorry to say but JEEP has way more reearch and Development over AA or Novak.

ALL the AX15s and NV3550s are JEEP transmissions.Therefore the Bellhousing and Stickout of the Input is right.You keep pimping AA and Novak But guess what....All there parts are based of stock Jeep parts.

Whay on earth would I need a custom bellhousing when Jeep allready makes it?

Any transmission will use the Factory parts for the throwout bearing weather Hydraulic or mechanical.

ALL the AX15s and NV3550s are JEEP transmissions.Therefore the Bellhousing and Stickout of the Input is right.You keep pimping AA and Novak But guess what....All there parts are based of stock Jeep parts.

Any transmission will use the Factory parts for the throwout bearing weather Hydraulic or mechanical.

Again your not comprehending my post. I've never purchased a bellhousing from either AA. I got one to adapt a Ford 2.3L to a T-90 . Trust me Jeep never made one! I have used AA's adapters to hook Ford T-18 's & T-19's to Dana 300 's again Jeep never made that one either. What is it you have against these guys anyway? :confused:

So you are saying jeep researches what it takes to put a D18 tcase to a th350 tranny? would that be a small flange or large flange D18?, what about output shafts, have they researched what shaft to sell you to put a AX15 into Dana 300 ?, what about spline count? How aout the TH 350 is that a 2wd or a 4 wd version and does Jeep research the different adapters needed to convert to a 205 tcase?
these companies deal with such so that you are not Limited to a few options. I am not pimping them, I am just saying they make conversions nice and simple. Not all transmissions Used by jeeps will match any jeep belhousing or t case, there are many reasons you cannot use this with that. The origonal poster, remember the guy who started this thread, is asking about 4 or 5 speed trannies, most 5 speed trannies are going need some kind of adapter support.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks