Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build

Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build
nice set of rims you got there.

Thanks Kilo, helped with my steering issues some too, lost some of the wonder i had with the old rotted ones. I am still in the process of getting the steering box out to solve the rest.

Steering box rebuild

We i started the rebuild Friday night, figured I would at least get it out of the frame. Well, i go it loose but that was it, cant get it out now. I have spent about 6 hours now wrestling with the damn thing, tried to take out the exhaust and snapped off the two bolts on the driver side. Those will now have to be drilled out and replace with nuts and bolts. :eek:

I thought I could do the same on the passenger side by no go, i cant get a socket to stay on enough to spin them off. Cant get a Dremel up in there to cut the bolts out either. I can the the unit up there but cant really see what I would be cutting and then I would have two more exhaust bolts to drill out and deal with. Even if I got that side loose the way it is plumed i would have to take out the Transmission cross member too. Man they squeezed that V6 in there.

So tomorrow I think i will cut the driver side exhaust just in front of the joint where the the passenger side joins in. That will drop the driver side out so I can fish the Ross box down the inside of the frame rail and out.

Great find. We have a 67 CJ5 that we found out in Mentone Ca. Looks to be in the same shape as ours when we picked it up. Have stripped it down to the frame and gone through the whole drivetrain. Now in the finishing stages with all the mechanical done. Have spent more that we wanted but feel good that we won't be repairing anything down the road. Now it's ready for paint so it should be ready to drive at the end of aug. One more note the Transmission and transfer had some real serious issues having water in them so the budget got blown on that. Also I tore down the engine and found one cracked head, was a bear to find a replacment but did come across a few good ones if you need one. Good Luck with your rescue.

Wow, what a pain in the *** getting that thing out. The Manual says to take the exhaust out on that side, anyone ever try to remove 47 year old exhaust bolts? Ended up like I said cutting the drivers side because while both bolts ended up just busting off. Fine I figure I will just have to dril them out. But still can't get them out because the nes on the passenger side I cand even get a socket on to bust!

Well, I guess that's why they make cut off wheels. Cut that bad boy off and pulled out Ross box, what a mess! Water, rust bearing Grease, gear oil, chunks of metal, you name it.

Thought I could rebuild it, and I can but the sector shaft and worm gear are toast. Had to order new ones.

e7y2yjad.jpg

4ajequ3e.jpg

avaqysy8.jpg

qusemu4y.jpg

ydy5unuj.jpg

e7a4y6es.jpg

So cleaned it up and have started getting it rebuilt, the good folks at Walcks http://walcks4wd.com/ helped with finding the right parts... Because the CJ6 with the V6 was special.

Here is cleaned and waiting parts.
zequdype.jpg

So still some rebuilding to go but hope to have the Ross back in the CJ this weekend.

I am so jealous of your Jeep i can't stand it...Enjoy it and don't share what you paid because then I won't like you I am sure...yours truly the rust belt victim Sponge;)

Thanks Sponge! It has its own issues that is for sure. Seems every thing I do turns up something else that needs done.

So while I was removing the steering box I noticed the master cylinder had some leakage. So I ordered a rebuild kit and pulled it out. Once I got it out I found it was pretty cruddy inside, once disassembled in found the bore so pitted and damaged it just had to go!

I ended up picking up a new MC at the local Napa store. A Raybestos unit for $57.00.

hupa2yvy.jpg

Got the new unit, did the bench bleed, installed in the CJ, and then used a one man bleeder and ran a QT of fluid it bleeding at all 4 corners.

As soon as I can move it, steering still in pieces, I will test the breaks and get some real pressure on them and re-bleed and adjust. Surprisingly the breaks seemed to have reasonable stopping power when tested before all the work, used all the peddle, but worked well. Still have not pulled all the drums off to inspect yet but that is coming.

Steering is all back together and installed. Getting the interior ready for paint, hope to get that done this next week so I can get the seats in and test the steering components out.
pa5uraba.jpg

yqage9e9.jpg

e3uga6u2.jpg

Old setup
be8e9y7u.jpg

New setup
5arapyzy.jpg

Pulled the gas tank to prep for paint what a mess.

5e6uze6a.jpg

a8u8a5u4.jpg

6u7u9e7a.jpg

evu9y6y3.jpg

a6egebaq.jpg

Yes those are 3 - 22 long rifle cartridges that were down behind the tank and the step up for the bed area. Nice, like riding around on the gas tank isn't bad enough I had some live rounds sandwiched between two metal objects too!

No doubt could be a hole new meaning for hot pants. :D

Thanks guys I hope so!

Taken longer and cost more than expected, but should be a nice ride when I am done.

Getting the bed prepared for some paint and liner. Getting all the little parts prepared too. Trying to figure out the best way to paint some of the inside of the bed and then where / how far to go over the lip. I am only doing the inside side walls with paint, smooth liner on the bottom of the tub. The outside will not get paint this year unfortunately. The whole inside needed blasted or stripped but this will have to work for now.

Got up under the dash and got that cleaned up too.

4emytynu.jpg

9amamuta.jpg

4a7yhujy.jpg

ymyzy8eq.jpg

za5yheny.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom