Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build

Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build
Almost there.

Seats are in, top is on, still need doors and a few little things.

ury7a7es.jpg

ze2u3yta.jpg

eba6yhyr.jpg

a6utysed.jpg

Did a full write up on the seats here:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16224

You have done a great job you should be proud :notworthy:

Thanks Guys, it is coming together. The doors are giving me fits trying to get them to lineup properly. looks like the windshield might need to lean forward a bit more.:confused:

Thanks for the props, could not have done it without all your help.

Officially got to drive it around the block, with the wife and the dog!

The Transmission was making a ton of noise though so i will post in the forums all the details.

ugy9a5er.jpg

abu6a4uq.jpg

ugure5as.jpg

4u4y2yha.jpg

6a6yde7e.jpg

qynaduvy.jpg

ujuraga7.jpg

re9e5yse.jpg

rymuve8e.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the dog likes it he has lots of room.

Thanks Guys, it is coming together. The doors are giving me fits trying to get them to lineup properly. looks like the windshield might need to lean forward a bit more.:confused:

Thanks for the props, could not have done it without all your help.

Officially got to drive it around the block, with the wife and the dog!

The Transmission was making a ton of noise though so i will post in the forums all the details.

ugy9a5er.jpg

abu6a4uq.jpg

ugure5as.jpg

4u4y2yha.jpg

6a6yde7e.jpg

qynaduvy.jpg

ujuraga7.jpg

re9e5yse.jpg

rymuve8e.jpg

:)Troy, Well your right it looks like the windshield needs to go forward a little, I'm not sure if you have one but there should be a large rubber gasket under that frame.....................those soft door frames are normally just 1/4" round steel and I've had to bend and adjust them at the hinge pin to make them look right.
:D:D:D:D

Yeah, it does have the rubber gasket in there, i added a little more before i started but still needs some adjustment. I will get it out in the sun this weekend and see what i can do with it.

Yesterday, I pulled and cleaned the heater blower motor, tested by connecting directly to 12 volts and it worked. Cleaned all the contacts on the switch and wires, replaced the fuse crimped a new end, ran a temp ground so i could test, installed the motor back in and and connected the hot leads. Then the damn thing started up before i connected the ground. What the hell? i am assuming that it is grounding through the motor case somewhere.

:confused:

Yesterday, I pulled and cleaned the heater blower motor, tested by connecting directly to 12 volts and it worked. Cleaned all the contacts on the switch and wires, replaced the fuse crimped a new end, ran a temp ground so i could test, installed the motor back in and and connected the hot leads. Then the damn thing started up before i connected the ground. What the hell? i am assuming that it is grounding through the motor case somewhere.

:confused:

:)Troy,

That would probably be the case as it's finding ground from some other method.

I can tell you from past experience you will not get much heat from that old unit. The problem is all your air is coming from the outside in front of the radiator which is obviously cold......that system does not have the ability to reheat cab air since the core is in the engine compartment. The fan is also small and barely has enough CFM to get anywhere including the defrost. A little warm air yes but not much more than that!
Last you have a bigger cab than a CJ5 so more area to heat.

I have two complete units here I have removed for that purpose. There great for restorations.

That would probably be the case as it's finding ground from some other method.

I can tell you from past experience you will not get much heat from that old unit. The problem is all your air is coming from the outside in front of the radiator which is obviously cold......that system does not have the ability to reheat cab air since the core is in the engine compartment. The fan is also small and barely has enough CFM to get anywhere including the defrost. A little warm air yes but not much more than that!
Last you have a bigger cab than a CJ5 so more area to heat.

I have two complete units here I have removed for that purpose. There great for restorations.

So did you do the blazer swap?

So did you do the blazer swap?

The Blazer swap is only for the later Jeeps about 1975 through the early 80's.

Unfortunately there really is no fix for that old system...........and the reason again is you have no way of reheating already heated cab air........That is how most modern auto and home systems work most efficiently by having the ability to take warm air and continue to reheat it.

In this old system everything that comes through the heater core is cold air so therefore you get luke warm air only in the cab and at 35 degrees outside while riding in a tin can.............you already know what that feels like.

In the CJ6 's lots of people have even installed auxiliary bus or van heaters in the back just to heat that large area.

Go to summit.com and look at some of the auxiliary heaters, they need to be mounted inside the cab so that the heater core is also inside.

Awesome, I will check them out.

I have stated painting the rig. Dash, hood and front clip also painted. Next the tub. Our 67 looks just like your 66 but we had far more rust to deal with. Came down to having it sand blasted. A little money expense but doing it by hand would take another six months. Looking forward to seeing some up dated pic's. Once I get the body back on the frame I will post some pic's. Good luck with the rebuild. Kadar:chug:

I just saw the thread on heaters after I post my two cents about painting. I took out the old heater and blower completely. I didn't know if it worked or not, but after talking with a buddy of mine I found out how bad the old system worked. I made a plate to cover the hole where the core box ran through the fire wall. I found a dealer in Cleveland who sells box heaters. It attaches or bolts to the inside of the cab via the fire wall. The heater hoses run from the engine through the fire wall to the heater box. The whole thing is only about 8x8x8 with two movable vent openings.Works on 12v 2.9 amps and puts out 12,500 btu's. Maradyne Mobile Prod. in Cleveland Oh. 44135 (216) 265-8006. I mounted it but have not had a chance to fire it up yet. Oh and it fits up under the dash so there is no leg room issues. Kadar:chug:

I just saw the thread on heaters after I post my two cents about painting. I took out the old heater and blower completely. I didn't know if it worked or not, but after talking with a buddy of mine I found out how bad the old system worked. I made a plate to cover the hole where the core box ran through the fire wall. I found a dealer in Cleveland who sells box heaters. It attaches or bolts to the inside of the cab via the fire wall. The heater hoses run from the engine through the fire wall to the heater box. The whole thing is only about 8x8x8 with two movable vent openings.Works on 12v 2.9 amps and puts out 12,500 btu's. Maradyne Mobile Prod. in Cleveland Oh. 44135 (216) 265-8006. I mounted it but have not had a chance to fire it up yet. Oh and it fits up under the dash so there is no leg room issues. Kadar:chug:

Thanks Kadar, I will have to check out the heater setup. I haven't done the outside yet. My plan was to use it this summer but everything took longer so I didn't really get much drive time yet. I ha to make it safe first.

Love the build, you have inspired me to keep my stock steering and rebuild it as you did. Thanks.

Thanks Jesse. Rebuilding and getting things back where they go made a huge difference. I may still do the tie rod flip but need to get it on the street a bit more to decide.

I like that it is stock.

Wow it has been too long, i thought i would take a little break around the holidays and it has been a couple months since I was able to get anything real done on the rig. I got it to a point where i could drive it a bit too and we had some sunny days.

I did drain the funds a bit too, picked up a new AR-15 which requires a certain amount of accessories.

Anyway, getting back to the rig, got the fenders off and am replacing the battery box and the heater. The firewall will get some much needed attentions as well. Then i will install the painless wiring harness that has bee sitting in the box since July. I need it ready for summer which will be here before you know it.

My rig has a auxiliary box heater similar to your picture in addition to original system. Between the two, I was able to keep the windshield clear and get it fairly warm in sub freezing temp. Drafty soft top too. I plan to continue using both at this point. Hopefully will be able to fully test next fall and winter after I finish rebuilding her.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom