Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build

Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build
Thanks, it's coming together.

nu2y4ahe.jpg

u4ymubum.jpg

Last edited:
Got the axle shims put in the right direction this weekend. Yes that's right put them in backwards! I don't know what I was thinking. I struggled getting things apart and I guess rushed to put it back together. I dropped it off the jack and went to bed and then in the middle of the night woke up realizing I had put them in backwards. So, little tip TAKE YOUR TIME!

vage3epu.jpg

du5apepe.jpg

Then, when trying to pull them back off on of the nuts on the u-bolt stripped so it would not go on or off. So off comes the tire and shock an I had to cut it off and replace it.

I ended up getting a kit and replacing them all as one other had threads that didn't look good.

The good thing is that I am getting good at dropping that axle.

Got some painting in the tub done this last week too

8e6ydyvu.jpg

eve7y2ap.jpg

bu4eqeny.jpg

dusymeze.jpg

pypa3ytu.jpg

Boy did I miss the CJ this weekend. As you can see from the thread the CJ is still coming together and should be on the road soon. This weekend, our 25th anniversary, we took the RV up to the Sierra for the weekend. We went sightseeing in the 100 lakes basin, Gold lake, Goose lake, Sardine lake, with TONS of 4wd trails and roads. And what am I driving, my Chevy HHR SS with no ground clearance. I tried to drive over a pinecone in it and it hit the bottom!

And what do we see EVERYWHERE.... Jeeps! CJ's, 5's and 7s, TJ, YJ, JKs, even a Commando.

Man I missed my CJ!

6u3esy6u.jpg

y7e6edem.jpg

5y2uvyma.jpg

e2yzeqe8.jpg

8ese5uba.jpg

bu5aqyby.jpg

Last edited:
Got a fender back on and the peddles back in.

7u6a3edu.jpg

u6yryse7.jpg

Made some great progress today with the help of my wife. I got the new gas tank installed, did a custom bend on the hard fuel line and installed the new fuel filter. I eliminated the fuel return line as the new tank did not have one. I had to replace a few stock clamp type hose clamps with some good screw down fuel injection rated ones. Had to do some paint inside where the fuel filler neck comes through and installed a new rubber gasket around the neck too.
u9uhede4.jpg

6uvy7e9a.jpg

2a2uduhu.jpg

The main fuel line was kind of tricky, lots of bends around the clutch /break assembly, and then around the new master cylinder and the steering box.
urehede2.jpg

dyhu2e8e.jpg

Got the front fenders back on.
ysy4yvah.jpg

Just set the seat mounts in place to see what they look like.
ysyjenyt.jpg

a2yty5at.jpg

Best of all after installing the new fuel line and replacing the fuel filter I got to fire it up again! Yeah baby. Getting close to being able to drive it a bit before the weather turns.

Couldn't have done it with out the help today, my wife did the R & R on the sending unit, got it cleaned up and installed on the new tank. Thanks babe!

Then she stripped off some electrical tape so I could re-route, repair, and dress out the bundle of wires that runs the lights. The PO had routed them right next to the exhaust and melted them more then once. Nothing he couldn't repair with some duct tape though. So that will have to get a little attention.

Installed the driver side seat, temporary only, so I can drive it out of the garage to put the roll bar back in.
4ymubaru.jpg

vype6a5e.jpg

ybesyseb.jpg

a8adu2um.jpg

a5y3y3a2.jpg

Put the front fender flares on too.
avuvuzu6.jpg

This build is great. It encouraged me to join and chronicle my build.

Last edited:
Thanks, it has been a lot I fun, more money and time then I thought.

And this is only round one. Still need to re-wire the while thing and the deal with paint and some body work.

The forum is full of great and helpful folks that is for sure.

I want that seat... where did you say you lived? :D
Fy
You do good work.

Thanks!

Ha! Way out in Cali. Long way to come for a seat. The nicer seats were the wife's idea, she wanted a little suspension built in. She said I want nice ones but not so nice that when we come back to get in it the seats are gone!

They are sweet and built to take a 4 or 5 pt harness. Do you remember where you ordered them from? This is what I found searching. http://corbeau.com/corbeau/suspension_seats/
Look pretty affordable actually...well...all things jeep considered.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's the Baja XRS by Corbeau. Got them from 4wd.com. There is a local store and we went in to test a bunch before we laid down the cash. I think they were about 650.00 for both.

They ship to the local store for pickup for free.

Now I know what to ask for for Christmas. :chug:

Oh yeah, Christmas, birthdays, anniversary, etc, etc. I think I'm into the next two Christmases already!

Installed the roll cage today and started installing the seats. That is going to be fun, I am trying to use the old sliders so they needed some work and nothing lines up.

Installed some dynamat under the dash to help deaden some of the sound.

tanu5e4a.jpg

I also wanted to give a huge shout out and thanks to Tarry99 and Sasquach for helping we way back when I started this project. I had tons of steering issues and they had great advice. I only drove around the yard to get the cage but oh my heck 1000 times better. You can actually turn the wheel. It was more like a wrestling match then driving. Changing lanes was easy, just not always predictable, or desired.

Ended up with new:
Sector shaft
Worn gear
Bearings and races
Bushings and seals
Top bearing
Steering wheel
Drag link + Kit
Bell crank + kit
rims and tires
Shackles

Installed axle shims
New ubolts
Leaf Spring bolts
Removed smallest leaf from the stack
Adjusted tie rods and set toe in

Still want to do king pins and get in there and service them, then possibly do the tie rod flip.

I can't wait to take it for a real drive.

Seriously guys, thanks a ton!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom