Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build

Build Thread 1966 CJ 6 build
Wow it has been too long, i thought i would take a little break around the holidays and it has been a couple months since I was able to get anything real done on the rig. I got it to a point where i could drive it a bit too and we had some sunny days.

I did drain the funds a bit too, picked up a new AR-15 which requires a certain amount of accessories.

Anyway, getting back to the rig, got the fenders off and am replacing the battery box and the heater. The firewall will get some much needed attentions as well. Then i will install the painless wiring harness that has bee sitting in the box since July. I need it ready for summer which will be here before you know it.

:)I have used that same heater in the past with mixed results, if its mounted on the passenger side that person is somewhat happy while others are not. Some of the other aftermarket heaters are better but do require some fab work to get a defroster vent to work and directional flow in the front to the driver and Passenger............I'm doing one right now using one of the heaters from Summit.
:D:D:D:D

:)I have used that same heater in the past with mixed results, if its mounted on the passenger side that person is somewhat happy while others are not. Some of the other aftermarket heaters are better but do require some fab work to get a defroster vent to work and directional flow in the front to the driver and Passenger............I'm doing one right now using one of the heaters from Summit.

Let me know how that turns out. I did get the one with the defrost option. It has a secondary round outlet to connect up to the defrost system. That will all have to be replaced on mine as it had disintegrated already.

Thought about using both also but the core leaks and mot all the closures/deflectors worked either so it would have to be replaced too and well, I live in California so it doesn't get that cold here anyway.

Let me know how that turns out. I did get the one with the defrost option. It has a secondary round outlet to connect up to the defrost system. That will all have to be replaced on mine as it had disintegrated already.

Thought about using both also but the core leaks and mot all the closures/deflectors worked either so it would have to be replaced too and well, I live in California so it doesn't get that cold here anyway.

:)Troy, just started on that last night.........mounted the Summit heater tucked up under the dash in the middle to save the space for the large glove box. I'll be building a new plenum and some directional vents to get the windshield defrost and the two people up front comfortable..............
And yes it does not get that cold here except in the morning when its 30 degrees and your driving around in a metal tin can with out insulation......... Done that when I was young!

True enough, I am going to look at putting that aux unit on the passenger side now and see what I think. I can even give the wife her own control like in the fancy cars!

Hey Tarry, how many BTU did you go with? Mine is 5000.

I already cleaned the old one up and painted it white on the outside and cleaned and painted the squirrel cage black. It looks good and blows pretty good too, just not much warmth.

Hey Tarry, how many BTU did you go with? Mine is 5000.

I already cleaned the old one up and painted it white on the outside and cleaned and painted the squirrel cage black. It looks good and blows pretty good too, just not much warmth.

:)Look at the PM I sent you explains why that heater does not do a good job!

The Summit is 28,000 BTU's with a 3 speed fan & top speed of 260 CFM.

:)Look at the PM I sent you explains why that heater does not do a good job!

The Summit is 28,000 BTU's with a 3 speed fan & top speed of 260 CFM.

Holly :dung: 28,000 BTU, that should keep you toasty.

~~~ picked up a new AR-15 which requires a certain amount of accessories. ~~~
BTW - bulkammo has both 223 fmj 55g and 62g plus if your AR can handle 556 55g, it's in stock (full brands). A brick from $850 to $885.

Bulk Ammo

BTW - bulkammo has both 223 fmj 55g and 62g plus if your AR can handle 556 55g, it's in stock (full brands). A brick from $850 to $885.

Bulk Ammo

Thanks CJ, i shop online just about every day for ammo, i have only managed to collect about 300 rounds so far. Had some back ordered at about .60 round but they ended up canceling my back order because it was pushed out another 4 months.

The good thing is at least you can find it now at the .80 - 1.40 a round. Now the sad thing is that it is .80 - 1.40 a round. Two stores in Sac now have it mostly regularly at that .80 - .90 a round and that is new, for the last month they just had nothing.

A Walmart about an hour from me keeps getting it in off and on so when they do i pick up 3 boxes of 20 and my wife picks up 3 boxes at .64 a round. But the Walmarts right near to me haven't had it in a months.

Good to hear you have a plan. If you really start shooting you should look into a loader. It's the next step. Even if you don't plan on reloading, keep your brass, ;)

Good to hear you have a plan. If you really start shooting you should look into a loader. It's the next step. Even if you don't plan on reloading, keep your brass, ;)

:)Can't believe how much that Ammo has gone up! Even Powder & Primers have dried up.......... just sold my Honaday Pro-7 and got twice what it was worth. Last year JV'd a Dillon 1050 with a bud.........he likes to crank the handle , I like bringing him the brass....such a deal!

Thanks for the heads up CJ. Never reloaded before, something I will think about it cause the price for new is crazy. While am new to it I went with a friend a year or two ago and seems like it was under .50 a round.

I will hold onto the brass for sure. If nothing else someone that does reload will take it.

Have you ever used steel case ammo?

Steel case ammo is useually berdan primed. So you can't reload it.

Making some progress on the engine compartment and the heaters.

epy8epah.jpg

5uvy2ana.jpg

2esybu2u.jpg

u9uty4av.jpg

Made a couple brackets to mount the new battery box.
y9uvy6es.jpg

Getting ready to paint.
eqazuma6.jpg

6e6uda3u.jpg

ura3abeq.jpg

2y8upede.jpg

azymypa7.jpg

gube3ase.jpg

Troy--
Steering rehab- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4106
Build thread- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1966-cj-6-build-15075/

Got all the parts for the old heater wet sanded and ready for paint.

Getting started on the firewall so I pulled the hood off and wrapped the engine.

Took the week off to get some CJ time and spend some time with my nephew. He is on delayed entry Navy and ships out in a little over a month. He is getting in to cars and wrenching now and wanted to come hang out. That's him.

rypaqane.jpg

Making some progress, got the firewall painted and some of the other heater and hood components. Got the hood cleaned up and ready for paint, the grill off and cleaned up.

3ene8yba.jpg

py3egu6u.jpg

jema7a2e.jpg

aja3yzut.jpg

6uvupe2y.jpg

8utynaty.jpg

Gt the heater inside and out looking good, picked up a new core too.

u6ura4a9.jpg

y8ytypy7.jpg

esuse5ug.jpg

y5uqaba4.jpg

ezena2u3.jpg

egate6um.jpg

e6y4e5em.jpg

ahy6yde7.jpg

zanezyha.jpg

And the battery setup looking good too.
y3ypa8e9.jpg

7ahyzy6u.jpg

uza8adav.jpg

Had a great time at JW Auto Wreckers, yard too. Spent some time wondering around checking out all the goodies. They have a great rolling chassis from an 86 CJ7
e3amenyz.jpg

Troy--
Steering rehab- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4106
Build thread- http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1966-cj-6-build-15075/

Got the battery box installed.

umyqagyt.jpg

tyjareqe.jpg

Here is the before.
pata8y8u.jpg

de2evyba.jpg

usame8av.jpg

Looking great! I missed who makes the battery box though, can you re-post the Mfr?

Thanks,

That new battery box looks great! Where did you find that at?

The old one looked pretty good to me too:D

Looking great! I missed who makes the battery box though, can you re-post the Mfr?

Thanks,

Thanks.

It's from Blue Torch Fabworks. I had to make a couple brackets to mount it away from the firewall is all.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom