2 piece axle

2 piece axle
Can I assume that a '86 Dana 44 axle won't have the same issue with breaking "on the highway"?

Can I assume that a '86 Dana 44 axle won't have the same issue with breaking "on the highway"?
86 Dana 44 uses a one piece flanged axle. :) It's a good diff that AMC had to go to in late 86 when they ran out of AMC 20s.

Big mistake IMO, I bought a set of Alloy USA axles for the front of mine
very poor quality.

Really? I have a set of their one piece axles in my model 20 and have been real happy with them. I've beat on em pretty good and they've held up great

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Really? I have a set of their one piece axles in my model 20 and have been real happy with them. I've beat on em pretty good and they've held up great

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
I haven't broken them yet , but the yokes where the u-joints fit was forged really bad, and I spent aot of time deburing the cut splines. I just wasn't very inpressed with them.

I have a set of the Crown axles that were delivered Fri. on my door step still in a box. No problems with them yet!

JK

I bought an output yoke for the Xfer case from Crown and it looked nice, had a new (thick) dust washer on it, came with a new nut, washer and shaft seal. I was impressed, so I thought I would try their axles. I got them for $180 free shipping and they advertised "Timken" bearings included. They are the only ones that told you what the bearings were. Guess I'll find out.

Does anyone know of anyone that has broken Crown axles?

Thanks

OK, I got the Alloy USA one piece axle kit. I test fit the new bearings but they are not tight. I can push them in the end of the axle housing and pull them out by hand. The original bearing fits tight, would not be able to push in by hand. I thought that they sent the wrong bearings with the kit. They shipped out a new pair and they were the same. Am I missing something here? or are they supposed to be like that?

The bearing race should be a light press in the axle tube so it doesn't spin.

The original bearing race fits tight. The new bearing is one piece, the race is on the bearing. The new bearing can be put in and out by hand and is not tight. The original race is slightly bigger in diameter and fits tight. The new bearing is supposed to protrude .020 to .060 beyond housing end. Is this preload what keeps the race from spinning?

Thought I saw on another site that USA Alloy is a spin off of Yukon but didn't pass QC inspection so they sell them as USA Alloy @ a cheaper price...

The original bearing race fits tight. The new bearing is one piece, the race is on the bearing. The new bearing can be put in and out by hand and is not tight. The original race is slightly bigger in diameter and fits tight. The new bearing is supposed to protrude .020 to .060 beyond housing end. Is this preload what keeps the race from spinning?
The Superior axles I had, had the normal type bearing & race, and the race was tight in the housing. It also required the 20-60 thou. preload.
So I don't know what Alloy usa. is doing.

Did you mic up the outer races? How much difference in size?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom