79 wagoneer dana 44s

79 wagoneer dana 44s
One thing to look for would be a rear axle from a 1980-91 Wagoneer.

They didn't change the track width but they did center the differential. Jeep went to New Process t-cases in the full size line and all of them were center rear outputs. They also redesigned the gas tank to allow for a center rear.

From 80-86 they used a heavy duty version of the AMC20 with thicker axle tubes and one piece shafts from the factory. But the center takes all of the CJ lockers and gears. Finding replacement shafts isn't easy but it can be done. It uses the same drum brakes as a Dana 44 so doing a disc brake swap isn't hard at all.

In the end of 1986, like in the CJ, they switched over to the Dana 44 . They ran that axle through 1991. It's a standard Dana 44 though the shafts aren't shared with anything else so they'd have to be custom ordered if you wanted replacements.

I have been messing around with FSJ D44s WAGGY & CHIEF widetrack/outboarding for both my '81 Scrambler & '82 CJ7 for about a year now. I picked up a Waggy wide track Dana 44 6 lug front (with drums), and a CHIEF super wide front (8 lug), and a Waggy Dana 44 wide track rear (6 lug) (4" offset) over time and am now approaching installing my outboarding kits.

My '70s widetrack Waggy's are +/- 62" wide wheel mount surface (WMS) to WMS. After concern over the noncentered, CV issues, I looked at a '79 GMC 14 bolt D60 centered rear that is about 1 inch less wide than the front, but different lug pattern (8 instead of 6) - there are conversions out there....more parts hunting required.

Also note my Dana 44 rears did not come out of a QuadraTrac . Stay away form those as they are supposedly further offset. That being said, I plan on the CV arrangement for the rear Dana 44 on my Scram only. I have seen a CJ7 on another site with this same rear end (4" offset), but agree with the previous post.

My CHIEF front Dana 44 is +/- 67" (with 4:88 gears) wheel mount surface (WMS) to WMS. So I am battling to find a matching rear. Last I read was a dually rear minus the outer wheels with stock Hummer military, offset rims (long hub stickout), and 37 wheels..........eventually, matching the current 4:88s in the front....more parts hunting = more time.

If we are specifically talking Dana 44 combo outboarded - my experience has been that the 70s Jeeps can be a long drawn out ordeal researching, assembling and matching components: lugs counts, drums/discs, offsets, QuadraTrac BS, perch mod.s, etc. I strongly agree when looking into D44s consider "the rear axle from a 1980-91 Wagoneer" which I have yet to do as I was thinking just going for it on my Scram with the rear CV offset.

We all know you want the front axle a little wider for stability and turning radius - not the other way - think of how unstable a long drag car can be (side to side). Also any tire size over 36s will force a D60 in the rear (and expensive gear change outs).

I am not a Chevy guy, but honestly after a year of research I think buying the 'right' Chevy 4x4 might be the best donor vehicle for a complete engine, drivetrain, outboarded Jeep. If I could sell all 3 of my axels, the 360, and 401, Transmission , etc. I would go this route...now. Chevy's appear to be a much faster, more parts ready build - check out Novak Conversions website. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom