broken speedo cable piece stuck in transmission

broken speedo cable piece stuck in transmission

Big B

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ5, 258 3 speed, stock. Power steering.
The new cable end would not go into the Transmission , so I am assuming this is the problem. There is nothing to grab on to with needle nose, etc. Any ideas ?

unscrew the threaded adapter the cable attaches to on the rear output housing; remove the driven gear for easier access to remove the broken cable end; may take some time to fish it all out.
The original factory speedo cables did not use nylon ends; the cable end was "squared up" on both ends.
This will also allow you to inspect the drive and driven gears for any possible damage to either gear.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have tried soaking it with PB Blaster and using a magnet with no luck. I was trying to avoid opening up the Transfer Case and removing the driveshaft because I am not a mechanic.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have tried soaking it with PB Blaster and using a magnet with no luck. I was trying to avoid opening up the Transfer Case and removing the driveshaft because I am not a mechanic.

non of what you mention is necessary
follow the instructions given above
just remove the driven gear as stated

If you have an after market cable that is nylon try taking a big sewing needle or a scratch awl/ice pick and sticking into the broken off piece and pulling it up at least far enough to get a grip on it.

there may be a reason why the tip broke off, nylon or otherwise.
removing the gear to inspect will tell the story.
otherwise, you may simply brake another cable.

you could also use a toothpick and some hot glue, worked for me. put a SMALL amount of glue on the end of a toothpick and place it in the hole, wait a min or so, then try to pull it out. it might work for you. or do the above and remove the drive gear.

The gear is easy to get out, if the end is really broken off it will still be in the gear. Just pull it out and be done with it.

The tail housing and output shaft can be removed without removing the TCase. There are 5 bolts holding it on. The speedometer drive gear in in the middle of this assembly. To take it apart you need to remove the large nut holding on the U joint yoke. That nut is big and takes a lot of leverage to remove. I would remove it before removing the rest of the tail housing. Here's how I would do it: Drain the oil from the TCase. Remove the rear drive shaft. Put the jeep in 4WD low. Put the tranny in reverse. Remove the nut holding on the U joint yoke. Remove the five bolts holding on the tail housing. Once that is removed you can repair the speedometer gears.

Thanks for the replies everyone. A little more to it than simply "pull the gear out and fix it".

Thanks for the replies everyone. A little more to it than simply "pull the gear out and fix it".

:confused:
you still don't get it......
take it to a shop

you should also take into consideration that getting the square peg in the square hole is not as easy as plugging in the TV. you may need to disconnect the spedo end so the cable will rotate to line up with the gear, then you can work on getting it back in the speedo.:cool:

:confused:
you still don't get it......
take it to a shop

There really is nothing to get, unless your reading comprehension skills are far superior to mine. You cant simply pull the speedo gear out without dropping the tail section of the Transfer Case , after disconnecting the driveshaft. If it was that easy I wouldn't be posting the question, would I ? Forgive me if I'm not an A.S.E certified mechanic, as I already explained. I can really do without your smarmy comments. I came to this forum asking for help, not to be patronized like a child. To everyone else, thanks for the suggestions.

:cool:If memory serves, its been a while, the speedometer gear in a
T-150 is held by one bolt securing a fork that holds the gear assembly in place. once the bolt and fork are removes it will take a pretty good tug to get it out but that should be all that is required.
Can you post some pictures of what you are incountering , if it is different than discribed??
:D

OK guys now I'm confused. If the gear is in the Transmission . how can it work in both high and low range? Or does it?
In my new fangled jeep it's in the Transfer Case , that way I know how fast I'm going in high or low.
By the way it's held in with one bolt and a fork. I guess it's one of the advanges of a Dana 300 .

If his Jeep is stock, it's a Dana 20 Transfer Case .
You'll look for a "bolt and fork" till the cows come home: that's a Dana 300 version that another poster is describing.
The Dana 20 driven gear is removed as I described.
The speedometer drive gear is mounted on the output shaft.
That cannot be removed without disassembling the Transfer Case rear output drive assembly as another poster has already stated.
but let's get the terminology right.
The "drive " gear turns or drives the "driven " gear.
The cable attaches to the threaded adapter; the drive tip of the speedo cable inserts into the end of the driven gear, which is held in place by the threaded adapter; the drive end of the driven gear and the tip of the speedo cable should be "square" by design; this is how the driven gear turns the cable.
My suggestion is to remove the driven gear so you can work on it with the help of a vice holding it and in the comfort of your garage or on a bench, as to lying underneath the Jeep and trying to do the repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's try posting without the condescending attitudes -OK?

I would hate to have to close this thread.

Posted from my Droid.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom