broken speedo cable piece stuck in transmission

broken speedo cable piece stuck in transmission
Guys, we get along here, if you have a problem go to PMs
open forum is for everyone to read and get help

I would like the post to be edited by the posters, instead of forcing the mods or CJ of this site to do it.

Hagar, that post is uncalled for
we all at one time were nubes
and we learned
this forum is not for everyone to show of knowledge and look down on others
it is for us to help each other and gain knowledge to help others keep CJs on the road
The post is childish, and needs to be edited

Back on track you have a T-150 & Dana 20 right?

The screw looking deal on the top should be the speedo gear:
dsc04784.jpg

One more input from the other poster.:cool:
My bad, what I get for trying to post and get ready for work at the same time.
the Transmission I was thinking of, with the fork is the new process in My J-10.
enough about that.
but I was sure that I had had to repair the spedometer gear at one point and had not removed the tail stock. the gear itself had become unattached to the driven shaft and the spedometer would not work because the gear didn't spin. pulled it apart, put a little locktight on it and the rest is history.
the speedometer gear is held in by the speedometer gear sleeve which, in turn, screws into the side of the Dana 20 TC. this is fairly well illustrated in the FSM. Morris 4x4 has a pretty good blow up but they don't label the speedometer parts I guess they don't sell them.
Dana Model 20 Transfer Case Parts and Diagram for CJ7 & CJ8 Scrambler

:D I crawled under my 77, I should have done that before posting the first time, and after the gunk is scraped away from the speedometer boss on the TC it is apparent that a socket is all you need to remove it. A wratchet might be good too.:D

If Brock's picture was facing the other way you would see the hex on the part he is referring to.

I don't recall if the comes out by itself.
But removing the tail can be a pain if it's stuck in the case. The hot glue and stick method I've used but if the glue comes off you'll have to pull the tail.
Drop the drive shaft from the Transfer Case then remove the bolts from the tail, wack it a couple times with a deadblow hammer (plastic) and it should come out. Wack it in different spots to get it moving.

Thanks to everyone's input, I finally got the speedometer gear and sleeve out. If I had scraped the 30 years of gunk off the case sooner, I would have seen the edges where the socket fits. The broken cable piece is definitely not going to come out, so I'll have to try and find a new gear. When I did a forum search on that part, they are hard to find. Any suggestions ?

I would not bet lunch you were going to find a new one. I still don't understand how the or why the old one won't come out, how about a picture or two??:cool:
I would not give up on that.:D

Update. Found a gear from an old Transfer Case sitting in a scrap heap. Number matches and the guy let me have it for free. Thanks to everyone for their help. :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom