CJ5 sputtering out

CJ5 sputtering out

lojo

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5
Hi, I am new here and looking for support. Not much of a mechanic but I want to learn... I have a 66 CJ5 that I have let sit for way too long. It's in pretty good shape, the engine is an original straight 4. I just did a tune up and had to bypass original fuel filter (glass dome) i added an electric fuel pump and in line filter. My issue is that it idle's ok but when i drive the jeep constantly cuts out. It feels like a fuel issue but i have done everything I can think of. The carb has been blown out maybe rebuild? I hope i am describing symptoms correctly... It just run's very sluggish and cuts out. (The engine was rebuilt by the man i bought it from, has about 30k miles on rebuild engine.) Thanks for any ideas

Welcome aboard:chug:
Jeeps give plenty of oportunity to hone your mechanical skills so you got the right attitude there. If it's been sitting maybe a carb rebuild or good cleaning is in order, gas turns to shellac and gums up carb. passages when given enough time. Start with that would be my recomendation.

so, the fuel did gum up... I think i have to rebuild the carb. It was blown out once but I think a rebuild is in order. Today i noticed that the air cleaner wasn't fully attached to the carb. the gasket there fell apart in my hand, also decided to take a look inside the air cleaner barrel that sits to the left of the engine. Removed the bottom pan and maybe 1/2qt of dirty oil came out... Like i said I am new to this lol, but any ideas?

more on the fuel, I have removed the gas tank and had it sealed with glass internally. It sits under the driver seat in this year and I would love to relocate soon. Would like get baja seats in for comfort

so, the fuel did gum up... I think i have to rebuild the carb. It was blown out once but I think a rebuild is in order. Today i noticed that the air cleaner wasn't fully attached to the carb. the gasket there fell apart in my hand, also decided to take a look inside the air cleaner barrel that sits to the left of the engine. Removed the bottom pan and maybe 1/2qt of dirty oil came out... Like i said I am new to this lol, but any ideas?

If the carb gummed up it may take more than air to clear it up, you need to make sure every air and fuel passageway is 100% clear. Your air cleaner is an oil bath type and old school, clean it out and put in some fresh oil. As for the gasket..may be hard to find and if so get some gasket material and cut out your own.

more on the fuel, I have removed the gas tank and had it sealed with glass internally. It sits under the driver seat in this year and I would love to relocate soon. Would like get baja seats in for comfort

Not sure about relocation the fuel tank but someone on here will jump in who does I'll bet. You have the seat brackets that stradle the tank right? Think twice before chopping those up to mount other seats cuse they are hard to come by if they are anything like my 3B seats. Gota do what you gota do though.

yes, seat brackets mount to and around that tank. I am going to have some made and save those for sure! Thanks for the input. Thanks for the input on the oil air cleaner.. As for the carb, should I rebuild it or look at getting a replacement? It's a single barrel, maybe look into a double?

yes, seat brackets mount to and around that tank. I am going to have some made and save those for sure! Thanks for the input. Thanks for the input on the oil air cleaner.. As for the carb, should I rebuild it or look at getting a replacement? It's a single barrel, maybe look into a double?

Personaly I would get a rebuild kit and do that. I would not bother with a 2 barrel on that motor either if even available, not to mension then you need a dif manifold..etc.

Not to go in a completely different direction, but have you checked the vacuum lines? If it's been sitting a while one may be cracked or loose and that could give you the same or close to the same symptoms. Just a thought. Is the fuel pump supplying enough pressure to keep it running above an idle? If you weren't a mechanic before, you will be by the time you have it running the way you want. I thought I was a fair shade tree mechanic but my CJ5 is giving me plenty of education.

Tommy

Not to go in a completely different direction, but have you checked the vacuum lines? If it's been sitting a while one may be cracked or loose and that could give you the same or close to the same symptoms. Just a thought. Is the fuel pump supplying enough pressure to keep it running above an idle? If you weren't a mechanic before, you will be by the time you have it running the way you want. I thought I was a fair shade tree mechanic but my CJ5 is giving me plenty of education.

Tommy

Good idea Tommy, Worth checking for sure but see that he has a 66 and vacuum had not been invented yet.;)

Like I said, I am continuing to learn all the time. This Forum is invaluable with its wealth of knowledge of the members.

Tommy

What is your fuel pressure ?

I don't know... I did add an electronic fuel pump. and bypass the old glass fuel filter with a new in line.. Actually i think we added (2) inline filters. I was told to check the vacuum lines as well but looks like that won't be necessary. I would like to upgrade the engine at some point but hopefully this one has a few years left in it. The oil bath air filter barrel... Looks like i can clean it out and throw a k & M air filter in it and modify to an air cleaner fairly easily... Bad idea? also there is a line that attaches the oil bath to the engine just below the oil stem, Would i cap that off? (Sorry for my horrible verbiage here guys, i am mechanically retarded at this point, lol)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom