Build Thread CJ7 restoration in progress- Advice please

Build Thread CJ7 restoration in progress- Advice please
So I think I am about ready to start the POR-15 prep process. I need to use the cleaner/degreaser then move to the metal etcher, then on to the paint. I will take pics along the way as best I can.

Here is where I am right now: I have wire wheeled the tub and then sanded. I bought some Loctite Extend Rust Neutralizer and hit some spots in the tub to test it out. Here are those pictures. Going to use Marine 5200 later.

Clean area and spray it on. Rust turns black. Pretty simple.

Bullseye,
Is that the POR-15 that looks like that in your tub, I do not know this product and don't know if we have that in Québec. Is that like a paint? is it like a Rhino lining king of product? can tou leave it like that? and finally can you paint it over? Really nice pics by the way, love it. I just got myself a 84, CJ7 what smashed (hood, left fender,windshield frame and glass) lots of potantial, was parked for the last 2 years but was all redone 6 years ago so it won't be too hard to redo. Thanks for your help

Hello rambo and welcome to our site! :chug: Glad to have you here! :)

Por-15 is a rust encapsulating (stopping) metal paint. The metal you cover does not have to be 100% rust free. It can be painted over (and should be if it exposed to the sun as it has no UV protection). projectcrawler did a great review here. -->> Por-15 - Jeep-CJ Reviews

Not slamming your work , but Id have gone this way also. Many times it takes alot less than the 20 something years the original needed to rust after its been repaired. Just looking at it from a longevity standpoint. That being said , nice thread and it looks good. :notworthy:
I wouldn't have went with a patch over a hole.
It leaves space for water to collect and just sit.
I'd recommend on the underside the use of napa rust converter and the use of por-15 and a liner of some type to water proof it.

Here's the converter:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/rust-killer-actually-seems-work-1860/

Thanks CJ, looks like good stuff. I was also thinking about doing it with Rhino lining or Line X product. Anyways as this is not my thread I won't take too much time here. Thanks again.

Finished the 2nd coat earlier. The first coat took a solid 8 hours to dry, but I have a very dry room with a heavy duty dehumidifier.

Wet sanded to knock the shine off then applied the 2nd coat. This paint goes a long way. I bought 4 pints and I still have 1/3 pint left after 2 coats.

I think I am going to give it a third coat tomorrow because I have some leftover.

Breaking down the first door. Changing out the paddles and window cranks. Also need to install new door seals.

It's too bad that stuff doesn't hold up to sunlight. As rolled on paint jobs go that looks pretty slick.:cool:

Has anyone tried to talk you out of putting carpet in that?? Carpet in a CJ just seems wrong. And then again , its quieter and softer on bare feet , I guess.:cool:
It's that old chocolate and vanilla thing .:D

I just took out my carpet and insulation from the guy that owned the jeep before me. It took me two days to get the 3M adhesive glue out of the whole tub. Biggest pain in the <-BAD WORD->. The tub is scuffed and ready for a full roll cage and herculiner. We're getting material next week to start building.

Looks Great Bullseye. I just finished replacing the metal under my roll bars and where the stock Seatbelts hit the floor, did the POR15, then 2 coats of Herculiner last week. I love it. I will post some pics of my mini restoration soon..:chug:

It's too bad that stuff doesn't hold up to sunlight. As rolled on paint jobs go that looks pretty slick.:cool:

Has anyone tried to talk you out of putting carpet in that?? Carpet in a CJ just seems wrong. And then again , its quieter and softer on bare feet , I guess.:cool:
It's that old chocolate and vanilla thing .:D

The directions say either to spray or paint in on with a brush, but I made an executive decision to go with the roller. :D

I think it was 4 bucks and another 4 for a 4 pack of roller pads.

I guess the sun turns it chalkie white? Regardless, I am going to put a carpet back in, so that is not an issue for me.

My Jeep is a driver. I like the sound deadening from the carpet and I think it looks better. JMO.

Now if I was mudding or whatever, then I would probably put a liner in.

Looks Great Bullseye. I just finished replacing the metal under my roll bars and where the stock Seatbelts hit the floor, did the POR15, then 2 coats of Herculiner last week. I love it. I will post some pics of my mini restoration soon..:chug:

Sounds good. I would like to see it. :chug:

I'll have carpeting in my CJ again (once I finish it)... It's usually astro turf though... :)

So I put 3 coats in the tub and painted the battery tray as well. I used only 1 pint total but threw probably 10-20% of it away after each coat.

I have a few other things I want to paint in the engine compartment, the tranny access cover plate in the interior that I forgot to paint, and a couple spots in the door panels.

If I had planned it out better, I think I could have done it all with one pint. As I said, the stuff goes a long way.

I'm glad I didn't buy the whole gallon of it, but I did buy the 4 individual pints deal they had. WAY TOO MUCH for just the interior.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom