drifting timing (caution VERY long winded!)

drifting timing (caution VERY long winded!)
So, I went out this morning to try and get a head start on the CJ. Maybe make a little headway and figure out WTF is going on. ~~~
Aren't you up to like, you know, uh, kinda, forty something degrees now... :) That is like, uh, you know, like, 80 in the south...

Any news... LMAO! :laugh:

Im liking the new sig Cj :laugh:
Aren't you up to like, you know, uh, kinda, forty something degrees now... :) That is like, uh, you know, like, 80 in the south...

Any news... LMAO! :laugh:

It's like your Mom told you "once you have a reputation you can never run away from it.":cool:

It's like your Mom told you "once you have a reputation you can never run away from it.":cool:
LMAO! I'm happy to deal with the rep - no matter what... (It's kinda cool - no matter how miss given... :) )

LMAO! I'm happy to deal with the rep - no matter what... (It's kinda cool - no matter how miss given... :) )

OK know it all. look at my post in "what did you do to your CJ today" and identify that Transmission :cool:.

It was finaly nice today (above 40 degrees) so I had a choice, take down the outdoor Christmas lights, or work on the CJ. The lights aren't hurting anything, it'll be nice again sometime.

It was nice to get back to work in the garage. I started by replacing the EGR valve and gasket, the gasket from the intake manifold to the carb adapter, the carb adapter to the carb gasket and about 4 feet of vacuum line. Basically everything except the PCV valve lines. I got it to fire, but I couldn't keep it running. It would only run for 3 to 5 seconds then it would die. I'm thinking the timing is probably way off, hopefully that'll be tomorrow.

I doubt it's the timing - sounds like fuel to me. Could I be wrong? Hell yes I could! :)

Why do you doubt that it's timing?

Did it shake like a Meth head going through withdrawl? :D Good chance the timing is off then. When I was going to the h.e.i. on my Scrambler I went through a little of that. I always heard to turn the dizzy in small increments. I had to change my opinoin of the word "small" and got her running the next day. good to hear you got a little garage time though. :cool:

Did it shake like a Meth head going through withdrawl? :D

Yes, yes it did. Once I finally got it to fire and start, it would idle way up to almost 2k, shake like a crackhead and die.

Alright guys, here's a new twist to the problem. I got the CJ to fire again today, but it still won't stay running. I have adjusted the timing back to about 8 degrees BTDC, but it still won't stay running. I did notice that only one of the jets on the venturi seem to be squirting fuel, the other only seems to drip out. I just rebuilt this carb not long ago and am thinking I am just going to buy a remanufactured carb, any suggestions where to get one?

I just got off the phone with a guy from the carburetor exchange, awesome guy who was a ton of help. After I described what to him what was happening he was almost 100% positive that I have an intake manifold leak. We both think the carb needs cleaned out, but the reason it will start, idle up then die is because I'm sucking in air somewhere through the manifold. WELL :censored:!!!

Looks like I'm ripping the intake manifold back off. He suggested putting a bead of Permatex the right stuff on both sides of the manifold gasket to help seal it up.

413482KZ5AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Should I think about taking the manifold to my local machine shop make sure it's true, or do you think just using this will help?

Not trying to be a tard , but have you gone over the intake bolts with a torque wrench yet?

I did over the summer, but not since it's gotten cold.

did you try spraying carb cleaner, gasoline or WD40 on the intake to see if it responds? I guess if you can't keep it running it could be a problem. The intake/exhaust manifold arrangement on the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l will work loose and is a b*tch to re torque.
The part of your story that bothers me is that it ran before the ECM was replaced. That seems a bit suspect to me. The dribbling fuel port also needs attention.:cool:
I can't wait to see how this all turns out.:popcorn::beer:

Not trying to be a tard , but have you gone over the intake bolts with a torque wrench yet?

did you try spraying carb cleaner, gasoline or WD40 on the intake to see if it responds? I guess if you can't keep it running it could be a problem.

No, I can't keep it running long enough to spray carb cleaner anywhere. But, If I cover the choke plate with my hand I can keep the engine running longer, making me think that I do have a monifold leak. :bang:

I can't wait to see how this all turns out.:popcorn::beer:

I can tell you how it's going to turn out if :censored: doesn't start going right, I'm going to roll the damn thing into the Thames River and report it stolen :eek:

This is totaly off the wall and I have never done or heard of anyone doing this. Is it possible to pressurize the manifold and spray soap and water on the gasket?? air gun in the carb , hand over carb intake. This will show up a lot better if the whole jeep is under water.:eek:
It's just a machine, it can't hate you and it can't intentionally piss you off.:cool:

No, I can't keep it running long enough to spray carb cleaner anywhere. But, If I cover the choke plate with my hand I can keep the engine running longer, making me think that I do have a monifold leak. :bang:

I can tell you how it's going to turn out if :censored: doesn't start going right, I'm going to roll the damn thing into the Thames River and report it stolen :eek:

~ ~ It's just a machine, it can't hate you and it can't intentionally piss you off.:cool:

You know that's exactly what my wife says rolleyes.png, that doesn't mean I believe either one of you....

You know that's exactly what my wife says rolleyes.png, that doesn't mean I believe either one of you....

Don't believe them EB. It's not a machine it's a JEEP.:wtf:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom