Misc Drive shaft angle/Rough County Suspension

Genaz

Jeeper
Donator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7. 258cu 6cyl. T5 tranny/Dana 300 transfer case (both from '82 Scramber)
Hi. I installed a Rough Country 2.5" lift kit in my '79 CJ7 . Despite the instructions, and original set up, it would not go in axle-over-spring. The front shocks were completely compressed, and sway bar links were too short. So, disassembled and installed spring-over-axle and everything fit fine. However, now my rear drive shaft is at an extreme angle. Rough Country recommended flipping the shims 180 degrees, but that didn't help. I'm pretty frustrated at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do the shims maybe have to be switched to the bottom of the leaf spring?

Hey Everyone. After 2 months of work travel and family vacations, I finally got back to the CJ7 suspension. Thanks to everyone for the pictures, illustrations, links and advise. It was invaluable. Had to get all new spring plates. The sway bar was the biggest hold up. Now it's back to original axle over spring and it steers a lot tighter. A couple of quick pictures attached. Thanks again everyone!

View attachment 102146

View attachment 102147

View attachment 102148
Bam!!! That rocks!!! :chug:

Hey Everyone. After 2 months of work travel and family vacations, I finally got back to the CJ7 suspension. Thanks to everyone for the pictures, illustrations, links and advise. It was invaluable. Had to get all new spring plates. The sway bar was the biggest hold up. Now it's back to original axle over spring and it steers a lot tighter. A couple of quick pictures attached. Thanks again everyone!

View attachment 102146

View attachment 102147

View attachment 102148
Glad you got it taken care of. Looks much better.

Thanks. Steers really nice now. I think the rear drive shaft might still be at a slightly extreme angle. But no vibration that I can feel. So, if it doesn't appear extreme to anyone, then I think I'm fine.

Now, next question. This winter's project will be the engine: 258c/6 cylinder. Not sure if I should have this motor rebuilt or buy a re-man. Getting different opinions. Never know what you're getting with a remanufactured engine, but the other side says by the time you do the heads, crank, cam, etc your better off just getting a re-man motor. Will be changing the intake and carb when I do this. Probably M/C 2100. Opinons and recommendations appreciated!

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Thanks. Steers really nice now. I think the rear drive shaft might still be at a slightly extreme angle. But no vibration that I can feel. So, if it doesn't appear extreme to anyone, then I think I'm fine.

Now, next question. This winter's project will be the engine: 258c/6 cylinder. Not sure if I should have this motor rebuilt or buy a re-man. Getting different opinions. Never know what you're getting with a remanufactured engine, but the other side says by the time you do the heads, crank, cam, etc your better off just getting a re-man motor. Will be changing the intake and carb when I do this. Probably M/C 2100. Opinons and recommendations appreciated!
Glad it drives well.
I started a thread for you on this question.
It deserves it's own thread.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom