exhaust stud broke

exhaust stud broke

dalefan88

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj5 258, t150, dana 20 transfer case, dana 30 front, 20 rear,warn hubs,2.5" procomp lift,teamrush,msd box,mc2100 carb,hedman header,clifford intake,optima battery, ford shock towers.
when to put a new donut gasket on the exhaust and the stud in the front facing the front of the jeep broke :eek:. i cant get a drill in there to drill it out :mad:. any ideas. thanks

On the exhaust manifold? Those are bolts, not studs. The exhaust manifold has threaded holes in it, the bolts go up through the retaining ring, and suck up the head pipe to the manifold. If you broke one of those off, you might to have to pull the manifold off to get at that hole to drill it out.

maybe it was a bolt. i was so mad when i was typing. guess i need to go get a manifold gasket set and take it off. i was hoping i didnt have to take it off. the gaskets probally should get changed anyways since they are 30 years old.

From personnal experience: Make sure that you get the correct intake/exhauast manifold gasket set. The exhaust manifold changed in '80 or '81, I don't remember which.

From personnal experience: Make sure that you get the correct intake/exhauast manifold gasket set. The exhaust manifold changed in '80 or '81, I don't remember which.

thanks for the info. i work at advance auto. when i go to work tomarrow to get them i will check the years to make sure to get the right one. :chug:

I forgot that you work at autozone, I bet you get stuff at cost don't you?

i get 20% off everything i buy. it is a sweet thing working there with this jeep. but i get alot of things for it off craigslist and ebay. i call the jeep cheap jeep lol. still a money pit though :D. but i enjoy it with all the learning.

well i got the manifolds off. man those things are heavy lol. im having a heck of a time getting the two nuts loose on the inside to get the manifolds apart to change that gasket. so i gave them a good shot of pb blaster and taking a break. all and all not that bad of a job. got the broken bolt out and retapped the hole so that should be all good.

well the jeep jinks continues with me. i put the manifolds back on tightn the bolts to spec and a ear of the exhaust manifold broke :mad:. i dont have the money to get another one so im parking the jeep for awhile :(.

Time for a header!

Time for a header!

i would love to but with a baby on the way and funs low that is out of the question. they cost alot of money for a jeep. i never got that. you can get a set for a sbc which you need two manifolds for, for $120 but to get just one for a jeep it is about $300. dont get it.

Check craigslist, every now and then one pops up on there, a header that is. You may be able to find a good used one at a junk yard. You gotta remember AMC put AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 's in Gremlins, Pacer's, Eagle's, CJ's, Grand Wagoneers, and some of the pick-ups, you may luck out and find one...

Keep an eye out for one on CL. There was one here a little while back for $60. Used ones are not too spendy.

ya i just put a wanted add on craigslist and checked ebay.

will a header from a 4.0 work on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . i found one for $20 if it will work.

sorry boss. :down:

dang the seach continues lol.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom