high oil pressure

high oil pressure

yooper

Jeeper
Thanks
Have a 1985 CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l six. just installed weber carb. engine runs great but for some reason the oil pressure peggs out at 80 plus. Once in a while it will come back to normal 40-60 for a short time then go back up. Guage is correct. Oil comes out the dip stick, distributor, and anywhere else it can go. Had the oil pan pulled and new oil pump and rear main installed. Jeep is stored for long periods. Driven only in summer. 1000 miles maybe. this problem did not exist before the carb was changed. Coincidence?? I'm afraid I'm going to blow the rear seal. Please help. This is driving me crazy. Yooper

Guage is correct. Oil comes out the dip stick, distributor, and anywhere else it can go. Had the oil pan pulled and new oil pump and rear main installed. Jeep is stored for long periods. Driven only in summer. 1000 miles maybe. this problem did not exist before the carb was changed. Coincidence?? I'm afraid I'm going to blow the rear seal. Please help. This is driving me crazy. Yooper

Even 80 lb.of pressure shouldn't make oil come out the dipstick, the only thing that would do that is crankcase pressure. Maybe a bad pcv like cheap said.
As for the high oil pressure, the pump has a bipass valve that might be stuck closed causing the high pressure.
And yes you could blow the real seal with that much pressure.

PCV is new. I actually pulled the pcv out of the gromet and still had 80plus at idle. The only things that were done prior to this problem was I changed the oil and filter prior to starting it up after its winter nap. Jeep started right up and ran well for a few minutes then the original carb decided to finally give up. I already had a weber waiting for this to happen so I had it changed out. At that point I figured the bypass valve spring was stuck or bad. Had a new pump put in and new rear seal. Didn't fix the problem. Isn't the valve part of the pump? At start up everything is working. 60 psi. within a minute the psi goes through the roof and stays there. Like I said, every once in a while the pressure will come down to 45-50 psi and I think I fixed it. Then it goes right back up. Frustrating to say the least. Thanks for any and all help

~~~ The only things that were done prior to this problem was I changed the oil and filter prior to starting it up after its winter nap. ~~~
Sounds like the wrong or a bad filter and or relief.

Is the relief valve part of the pump? I'm trying to systematically cross off all the possibilities causing this problem. Relief valve keeps coming up as the only cause for such high constant pressure. Pressure stays pegged at all rpm's doesn't even come down at idle. Thought I could cross off the relief valve possibility by putting in a new pump. I'm thinking a quart of kerosene to maybe clean out the engine. getting desperate. Thanks

PCV isn't going to change or control your Oil pressure. the oil pressure is not what is blowing the oil out, it is the crank case pressure. the PCV allows the manifold vacuum to cause a low or even negative pressure in the crank case to negate the effect of any cylinder blow by. is the PCV line actually hooked up to the right manifold port? Put a vacuum guage on the PCV line and check the vacuum.:cool: I think you should have about 12-14 inches of vacuum at idle.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom