Is it the correct radiator?

Is it the correct radiator?

mechjono

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978, cj5, 304 V8, T-150 transmission, Dana 20 T case , all driveline stock, currently a project that is not running.
My project came with a new radiator but when i finally went to install it somethings not right. The outlet (lower neck) is curved up too much which causes an ugly kink in my suction hose. In an attemp to straighten it (which seemed to work) it now hits my steering shaft knuckle. It would seem that it needs to be closer to the center of the radiator, which would get it away from the steering.
When looking on the web at radiator pics it is hard to tell but seems as though the radiators listed for the early 80s cjs would work better but i'm not sure if they will fit.
I am not able to post pics right now but in a few days i should be able to.
Any help would be appreciated. :confused::confused:

Last edited:
just to pass information, not saying it is of any value. The radiator in a CJ and a FSJ, truck, wagoner etc. are almost identical. the CJ bottom tube is slightly farther outboard to clear the steering box but it will bolt into the body. The only way I can think of to quickly indicate which it is is that the vent on the fill is passenger side on a cj and drivers side on a FSJ. And even this is just going to be an indication not proof.

I have on two occasions tried to buy a radiator for the J-10 and was promised a new one rather than re coring mine. I ended up with a CJ radiator that we took the core out of and put into the J-10 buckets. I have never found out if the catalog was wrong or if when I said J-10 the guy at the shop heard CJ-. :D

Thanks, my vent is on the passenger side, so i guess its a cj, and the outlet is real close to the outside of the tank, probably about 3/4".

I believe there are more than one set of holes that the radiator can bolt up to on the body, perhaps you chose the wrong ones?? Perhaps you will want to do something similar to what I did and put new holes in the body for the clip nuts to fasten to so you can put it where you think it should be. I found that with a 1" body lift the stock position was not quite where I thought it should be.:D

Thanks, my vent is on the passenger side, so i guess its a cj, and the outlet is real close to the outside of the tank, probably about 3/4".

This radiator only has 4 bolt holes but i was in the process of refitting it with more holes to raise it up just enough to clear the steering. I'll make it work but so far i have had to make most everything work on this project. Guess thats just the way it is.:D

sometimes. but I generally find that something changed somewhere to make the change I am making needed. I do my best to find what has changed and then make the choice whether to repair it or react to it.:D

This radiator only has 4 bolt holes but i was in the process of refitting it with more holes to raise it up just enough to clear the steering. I'll make it work but so far i have had to make most everything work on this project. Guess thats just the way it is.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom