Lockers, Which one??

I saw that pic in a news paper about 10 years ago, it took me a while to find it on the net. The article read that several people went into the ditch and crashed cuz they were rubber necking and laughing so hard when they saw this driving down the road.

After all, turn a Jeep upside down and it says deer

Pics and write up will be a while, it's on the "do to The Jeep list" over the winter.

Thanks again.

Hating on the Detroit locker wil not be tolerated!!!! :mad: It's an automotive icon and I demand due respect! :notworthy:

Can anyone confirm that this is a 4.11 rear open rear diff. I have a Lock Rite lined up and I wanna make sure of what I have.
CJ gavr the answer
but here is another way to check
put the rear up on jacks everything in nuetral,
put a chalk mark on the drive shaft
turn the rear wheel 1 revolution and have some one count the times the drive shaft turns
if it turns 3 and 3/4 times it is a 3.72, 4 and a 19th, it is a 4.11
hope that counts
pme more item, if there was a tag on one of the bolts, it would have the ratio

Ya there is a tag on the front diff. Here is the pic. It shows 3.73 and 4.11 Someone told me that it was 4.11 rear and 3.73 in front and the difference would be made up in the Xfer case. I didn't believe them and wanted to know for sure what I had so I pulled the cover. I now know it's 3.73 ratio with 41 and 11 tooth count.

CJ gavr the answer
but here is another way to check
put the rear up on jacks everything in nuetral,
put a chalk mark on the drive shaft
turn the rear wheel 1 revolution and have some one count the times the drive shaft turns
if it turns 3 and 3/4 times it is a 3.72, 4 and a 19th, it is a 4.11
hope that counts
pme more item, if there was a tag on one of the bolts, it would have the ratio
That only works if it is a LS or locker - if it is an open diff you have to turn the wheel two times... :)

What's My Gear Ratio?

Someone told me that it was 4.11 rear and 3.73 in front and the difference would be made up in the Xfer case.

Yea when it went BOOM and blew up :eek:

Hating on the Detroit locker wil not be tolerated!!!! :mad: It's an automotive icon and I demand due respect! :notworthy:
My favorite is detroits front and rear
love them but have to admit that some guys will not like the idiosyncrasies of them,,,,,, like sudden lane changes, but hey, you get used to them after a while.

Another question for ya gentlemen. While I've got the diff apart I was thinking I might aswell replace some stuff. Good old seals, and bearings. Things of that nature.

What do yo suggest be replaced? Bearing in mind I've never done this before so I dont know all little tricks.

You can't and don't want to replace any bearings unless you plan on checking the ring gear / pinion mesh... Leave them alone.

About the only seal you can and should replace are the axle seals.

The pinion seal could be replaced (is it leaking?) also but unless you have one big old long breaker bar - you won't be able to get the nut loose - and then you will need a torque wrench (250 lb) to properly tighten the nut back up. If you decide to replace the pinion seal, it's best to do so after you get the axles back in as with them out - it's difficult to lock the pinion and carrier in place so they do not turn. Also you will need an inch pound torque wrench to properly set the pinion preload - many people skip this step though (just set the torque) and don't ever have any problems...

If your interested - here is the Spicer Dana 44 pdf. It talks about setting the pinion preload... http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5310-3.PDF

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom