Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild

Build Thread Mike's 1986 CJ7 (Mid Year) Rebuild
Thanks Pete...

Sponge... I like the thicker feel of the wheel in my hands. Only thought so far is that it is going to get greasy when I take it to the shop... Maybe wrap it with some saran wrap prior... Only thought is how I would clean it.

Well... possibly bad news.

When letting out the clutch I'm getting a scraping/rubbing noise in 1st and 2nd. Seems to abate as it warms up... but then I'll hear/feel it again leaving a stop. It is intermittent.

Seems like shifting into reverse is giving me some grind sometimes.

Does this sound like throwout bearing to you guys?

My mechanic says $800 to $1,000 using german bearing. Sounds high but I trust this guy. He hasn't seen it yet (phone diagnosis). I think this is beyond my skill set to tackle. I'm taking it to him in the morning to see what he thinks.... super bummed.

Well... possibly bad news.

When letting out the clutch I'm getting a scraping/rubbing noise in 1st and 2nd. Seems to abate as it warms up... but then I'll hear/feel it again leaving a stop. It is intermittent.

Seems like shifting into reverse is giving me some grind sometimes.

Does this sound like throwout bearing to you guys?

My mechanic says $800 to $1,000 using german bearing. Sounds high but I trust this guy. He hasn't seen it yet (phone diagnosis). I think this is beyond my skill set to tackle. I'm taking it to him in the morning to see what he thinks.... super bummed.

Holy :dung: $800 for a throw out bearing, well it's not the easiest job thanks to how heavy and awkward the trans and transfercase are but he is going to have to drop both drive shafts skid plate shifters vent tubes reverse switch transmission transfer case and bellhousing just to get to the throw out bearing so that's several hours to pull and reinstall with a lift and trans jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy :dung: $800 for a throw out bearing, well it's not the easiest job thanks to how heavy and awkward the trans and transfercase are but he is going to have to drop both drive shafts skid plate shifters vent tubes reverse switch transmission transfer case and bellhousing just to get to the throw out bearing so that's several hours to pull and reinstall with a lift and trans jack.

This morning took it to the guy who rebuilt the tranny and clutch in '09. He said it sounded like the beginnings of the throw out bearing going out. Said it could last a year, but could also leave you stranded eventually when it goes. Said it felt like the flywheel might need to be machined flat... will check when he gets in there. $500 from this guy using a Timken bearing... I left it there and it should be ready Wed. or Thur.

Hoping for the best... course, this means no stereo system this week...

I will be cleaning the 22' dryer duct today instead... idiot contractors... I am a general contractor so I get to pass judgement....

This morning took it to the guy who rebuilt the tranny and clutch in '09. He said it sounded like the beginnings of the throw out bearing going out. Said it could last a year, but could also leave you stranded eventually when it goes. Said it felt like the flywheel might need to be machined flat... will check when he gets in there. $500 from this guy using a Timken bearing... I left it there and it should be ready Wed. or Thur.

Hoping for the best... course, this means no stereo system this week...

I will be cleaning the 22' dryer duct today instead... idiot contractors... I am a general contractor so I get to pass judgement....

I love timken bearings I am rebuilding everything I can on my Jeep with timken bearings, they were the OEM bearing. $500 is better than $900 for a straight R&R job

He has to drop the tranny. Have him R&R the entire clutch and resurface the f'wheel.
You can buy a complete LUK clutch install kit from NAPA.
Make sure he soaks the pilot bearing in oil before install.
While the f'wheel is off-May as well have a new starter ring gear installed.
LG

He has to drop the tranny. Have him R&R the entire clutch and resurface the f'wheel.
You can buy a complete LUK clutch install kit from NAPA.
Make sure he soaks the pilot bearing in oil before install.
While the f'wheel is off-May as well have a new starter ring gear installed.
LG

Thanks LG...!!!

Got the complete clutch kit from Napa which included the LUK clutch and Timken throw out. Flywheel resurfaced. Got all done for $719. So I'm happy.

So much better... smooth as butter and quiet as a mouse.

He said the the pressure plate was shot, the throwout bearing was beyond shot.... there was still life in the clutch surface, but hot spots around the springs. He walked me through every part and explained what had been going on. I like these guys...!!! Town & Country Automotive Repair in Mountain View, NC.

Thanks LG...!!!

Got the complete clutch kit from Napa which included the LUK clutch and Timken throw out. Flywheel resurfaced. Got all done for $719. So I'm happy.

He said the the pressure plate was shot, the throwout bearing was beyond shot.... there was still life in the clutch surface, but hot spots around the springs. He walked me through every part and explained what had been going on. I like these guys...!!! Town & Country Automotive Repair in Mountain View, NC.

Sweet You better keep them, a good mechanic is worth their weight in gold

Great to hear all went so well.:chug:
Let me suggest that you start keeping a maintenance log of the work done with PN's listed. Also include who did the work and at what mileage.
Trust me-It will help you 'down-the-road'.;)
Now-have you ck'd the wear of your clutch linkage at the pivot points of the rod, from the pedal to the bellcrank? Look into a Heim Joint setup.
LG

Good deal:cool:
I suggest you also list the date the work was done.
LG

Great find! Wish I bought a 86 instead of 76... Too many reasons to list why.

Love what you're doing to it. Although I am jealous. I'm trying to do an engine swap and takes me (so far) almost two years! (No laughing).

Almost done with mine (I hope) but have decided to tow to a shop monday and get it finished as ---- after four carbs, a fuel injection and harness swap, a strater that owned my flexplate, and now an engine swap---my brain is toast. (Mostly the jeep just needs mod wiring and exhaust work... but after a neighbor" helped" remove the driveshaft it now needs a new rearend. )

I wish I could kidnap one.... or a few of you... to finish my swap.....

But really, great (and quick) work. I am envious of your skilz. ;)

Thanks LG...!!!

Now you have me thinking I should do mine now that it is out of the Jeep...should save me a ton of labor

Great find! Wish I bought a 86 instead of 76... Too many reasons to list why.

Love what you're doing to it. Although I am jealous. I'm trying to do an engine swap and takes me (so far) almost two years! (No laughing).

Almost done with mine (I hope) but have decided to tow to a shop monday and get it finished as ---- after four carbs, a fuel injection and harness swap, a strater that owned my flexplate, and now an engine swap---my brain is toast. (Mostly the jeep just needs mod wiring and exhaust work... but after a neighbor" helped" remove the driveshaft it now needs a new rearend. )

I wish I could kidnap one.... or a few of you... to finish my swap.....

But really, great (and quick) work. I am envious of your skilz. ;)

Thanks... I had a lot of help... my mechanic skills are almost non-existant, but I'm stubborn.

Good luck finishing things up!

After sitting at the festival for a few hours, got in the Jeep, and weird binding sound happened again... :dung:...!!!

I can feel it in the shift knob...

I'll be calling my mechanic today to discuss...

Hope that isn't $700 down the tubes... I probably needed a new clutch anyway, but it also could have waited until next year.

Thanks... I had a lot of help... my mechanic skills are almost non-existant, but I'm stubborn.

Good luck finishing things up!

Thanks you too! :)
But too bad about the "binding" That sux. And I know the feelz. :/

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks