Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
ON THE HUNT AGAIN
Let's play name that mystery sound.
While driving the jeep, I push in the clutch and mash the brake rolling
up to stop I hear:
Clinka clinka clinka etc. etc.

Now the sound seems to be coming from the middle to front area.
Driveshaft?
front axle?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmeeeee thaaaaaaaat sound? :D

Let's play name that mystery sound.
While driving the jeep, I push in the clutch and mash the brake rolling
up to stop I hear:
Clinka clinka clinka etc. etc.

Now the sound seems to be coming from the middle to front area.
Driveshaft?
front axle?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmeeeee thaaaaaaaat sound? :D

Ok I'll play.. If it only happens when you mash the clutch I would say it might be a pilot bushing. Had one go out long ago, a PIA to repalce if you have never done it before.

Bill

Have you gotten under and tried to see if you can shake anything
Could be a bad U joint

I'll say U joint/CV joint

The drive shaft seems worn, but doesn't seem to be an area that would make a clinking noise. Even coasting in gear moving slow it does it.

I'm thinkin you should start checking u joints. You may even have to drop the shaft and pull the caps.

Maybe front axle u-joint more than the driveshaft. Under brake its putting more stress on it???

Ok back to mystery sound, seems to have gotten worse.
But seems to stop when I mash the brakes.

Makes the sound at all speeds and doesn't change if I have it in neutral or clutch mashed, just when brakes are mashed.

I would look at the brake backing plates. Check for bearing play. Sometimes a rock or stick will jam a backing plate into a rotor, and mashing the brakes can move a rotor just enough to pull it away from backing plate. Is it a tin type noise, or a thick metal type noise? Mashing brakes can also change driveline angles. Pull front driveshaft and see if noise goes away.

Makes a CLINKa, CLINKa, CLINKa. Like it's something clinking as I roll along.

I think projectcrawler is on to something with the brakes. If your pads have seperated from the backing, that would make that kind of noise. That would explain why it goes away when you mash on the brakes. Or you could have broken one of the ear tabs off of one of the pads, letting the whole pad bounce around until you mash on the brakes :confused:

It's a pretty consistant sound, not random, so that's why it's confusing.

Brock, silly question, but have you jacked it up and spun the wheels by hand to see if it makes any noise?

nope, beginning to think it may be a wheel bearing.
I have pushed the jeep about 20 -30 feet and didn't hear it.
Looked at the brakes, calipers, rotors, etc. nothing loose.
I pulled the lockout hubs and they are clean I regreased and re-installed.

would there be any " SAFE" way to see if there is anything making contact like EB mentioned. are the brakes in good working order, Just maybe caliber piston not applying enough pressure and when you apply brakes they tighten up enough to stop the clicking. I am leaning more towards something foreign making the clicking noise.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom