Suspension Old man emu YJ spring conversion

Suspension Old man emu YJ spring conversion

Manic Mechanic

Full Time Jeeper
Media
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 4.2L 258 .040 over, T-5 trans, dana 300, dana 30 front 3.23 and lock right locker, rear amc 20 3.23 one piece axle shafts traclock

79 CJ7 304, th400 auto borgwarner 1389?? qudratrac stock rest unknown.

89 YJ 4.2L 258, AX-15 5spd, NP231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear with posi, gears unknown

92 YJ 4.0, AX-15 5spd, np231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear.
Title says it all. Well sorta. I'm looking for a vender (not quadrajunk) for an old man emu YJ spring conversion kit for my 85 CJ7 . I'm not even sure if they are still being made or if I'll have to piece together my own kit. If need be I'll even import a kit from Australia. But local would be better.

I'm sure one or two of you have done this before and might have the best input. Thanks in advance

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Title says it all. Well sorta. I'm looking for a vender (not quadrajunk) for an old man emu YJ spring conversion kit for my 85 CJ7 . I'm not even sure if they are still being made or if I'll have to piece together my own kit. If need be I'll even import a kit from Australia. But local would be better.

I'm sure one or two of you have done this before and might have the best input. Thanks in advance

Like this? They have OME springs.

They're listed as rocky mountain something or other for the brand not ome

a9801f435786125523be0ab5417bf96b.png

I bought a complete setup for my 83 CJ7 a while ago from these guys: (Link)-> Rocky Road Outfitters: Off Road Equipment for the Serious Enthusiast -<
They put together a nice kit that they build in house. It's not cheap, but it's complete and heavy duty. Make sure to get the brake lines too. It took a while to get it (they had to build the parts), but it's all there. My suggestion is to call them and handle your business over the phone... Their web site has changed significantly (for the better) since I bought mine, so who knows...

Once installed on my jeep (it already had a non-stock drive shaft from a P.O.) I would get drive shaft vibration at slow speeds, or I could put some wedges under the axle and get vibration at high speeds, but couldn't tame it. I ended up putting 6 degree wedges under the axle and a Tom Woods custom shaft and I've not had any problems. That also allowed me to eliminate the skid-plate spacers, they're designed to lower the rear of the driveline to get better u-joint angles but they also lessen the clearance of the engine at the firewall.

One of my friends pieced a kit together. It's not as nice and he spent a lot of time researching and buying the parts from all over the internet. He did save some money, but IMO it's not worth the effort.

They're listed as rocky mountain something or other for the brand not ome

a9801f435786125523be0ab5417bf96b.png

My dear Padawan, you must read the description...

We also carry brand spankin new Wrangler springs for those who want factory fresh instead of used (although used Wrangler springs if you find them will work well too) and Old Man Emu Wrangler springs for those that want the best riding lifted Wrangler spring on the planet!

Good thread ( includes @boney input) on RRO & OME.

My dear Padawan, you must read the description...

I missed that. I was doing research while riding shotgun on a road trip with my wife driving. I'll dig a little deeper.

As others mentioned I'm not really wanting to piece together a lot unless I really have to. Id rather have a complete matching kit.

The reason for ome is because I've used their products on customer Jeeps (newer like 07+) in the past and have been really impressed.

My front springs I replaced with factory aftermarket parts back in 08 as far as the rear is concerned I'm fairly certain they are the ones that left Ohio in 85.

I'm not looking for a lot of lift. Currently have 1.5" shackle (Currie enterprise) and 1" body. I'm thinking the ome 2.5 (only 1" more) over my current setup. I don't believe that would cause any need for new drive shafts or longer brake hoses. But I will measure everything out.

Forgot that BDS makes a kit if you want to pick and choose your springs and shocks. (Many retailer's sell it)

Interesting that link says it increases the wheel base. I knew the springs were slightly longer and wider but didn't know they moved the axle any

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
I need to look the one link I followed has the complete kit with springs (medium duty) shocks etc for about 1,400 bucks. My only concern at the moment is they are saying 3-3.5" of lift whereas other sites have a 2.5" listing. I will have to do some calling around.

I got the kit from Rocky Road years ago, I recall it had everything included. I ordered the "heavy" springs and after the first camping/offroad excursion they were not heavy enough for what I needed, so I contacted them and they recommended adding a second main spring . I added it and was much happier, and an added bonus was it added another 1/2" of lift to the 2 1/2" lift. A couple of my buddies used BDS on their XJ's and have been happy with them. I dont know if BDS offers differnt spring rates, but OME has soft-med-heavy, or at least did when I ordered mine. I dont think you could go wrong with either company.

I got the kit from Rocky Road years ago, I recall it had everything included. I ordered the "heavy" springs and after the first camping/offroad excursion they were not heavy enough for what I needed, so I contacted them and they recommended adding a second main spring . I added it and was much happier, and an added bonus was it added another 1/2" of lift to the 2 1/2" lift. A couple of my buddies used BDS on their XJ's and have been happy with them. I dont know if BDS offers differnt spring rates, but OME has soft-med-heavy, or at least did when I ordered mine. I dont think you could go wrong with either company.
How much stuff is on your jeep and how much do you pile in it? My Jeep is mostly stock except for aftermarket bumpers. The interior is just a couple of seats. I do wheel mine but it does spend most of its time on road. I'm after a better ride. It wheels great so any improvement there is just a bonus.

2 ice chests, firewood, camping gear, some tools, 10 gal fuel and 5 gal water, and 2 guys and their gear. For me, even empty it wheels amazing and rides better on road than it did with stock worn out springs. That said, if it wasnt for all the camping gear, heavys would be perfect.

I'm trying to decide between medium and heavy I don't want it to sit much higher than it already does

Thanks for the thread. Looks like I finally made up my mind what to do with Vaders suspension. 👍

I'm purchasing probably by next week

Which is ?
I'm going to do the Yj spring conversion. I have possibly the flattest stock Cj springs in existence. Ride quality is poor at the most. Still fun to drive but I don't do long trips in it. Some 2 1/2 inch springs and I can ditch the body lift as well.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom