Quadra trac-part time kit question

Quadra trac-part time kit question

116gtv

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 258 quadra trac
G'day from Oz, my first post here..:)

I recently bought a 79 CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l QuadraTrac . interestingly, it has free wheeling hubs, so I'm wondering if it had a part time conversion fitted..

Would it be correct that a QT front drive shaft won't spin freely ever, unless it had a 2wd conversion? Just tested mine when it was parked in gear, and the front shaft spins freely.

Want to change the fluid but dont know if quadratec fluid is a bad idea as automatic transmisions fluid is recommended for part time conversions...

thanks for your advice!

A QuadraTrac , as installed from the factory, will not work with open hubs up front.

If you were to install hubs and unlock them, you'd burn out the Limited slip clutches in about 2 minutes. You also wouldn't move more than a couple of inches. The only way to prevent that is to keep it in E-Drive (part time 4wd). I owned a 77 Cherokee that was set up like that. The previous owner had put in drive hubs and just left the E-Drive engaged all the time.

If the front driveshaft free spins with the hubs open and you can still get the Jeep to move when you put it in gear, there's certainly a part time kit installed.

In that case, adding QT specific fluid is not necessary. The additive is for the Limited slip. It won't hurt anything being in there but you don't need to specifically add it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom