Re gearing

Re gearing
Old dog has one that I may buy Auburn Pro Series Limited Slip for Jeep - Jeep Differentials - Jeep Axle Replacement Parts - Jeep Drivetrain Jeep Axles & Differentials - by 4 Wheel Drive

The quote covered gears, carriers master install kit for the rear small kit for front. He quoted about 450 for the Limited slip. I wasn't thinking at the time to ask what the total cost was to be sooo.....$1000-1100 for open diff Yukon gears. 450-500 for the Limited slip. I need to find out, I think he said true trac. Need labor cost now. I was going to have him look at the Dana 300 but I've been told that I can easily do it with common tools.

Old dog has one that I may buy Auburn Pro Series Limited Slip for Jeep - Jeep Differentials - Jeep Axle Replacement Parts - Jeep Drivetrain Jeep Axles & Differentials - by 4 Wheel Drive

The quote covered gears, carriers master install kit for the rear small kit for front. He quoted about 450 for the Limited slip. I wasn't thinking at the time to ask what the total cost was to be sooo.....$1000-1100 for open diff Yukon gears. 450-500 for the Limited slip. I need to find out, I think he said true trac. Need labor cost now. I was going to have him look at the Dana 300 but I've been told that I can easily do it with common tools.
Sorry old dog I disagree with you. For my money detroit tru-trac is the best and at $394 for the Dana 30 is a steal. It uses gears not clutchs to wear out over time, and no additive to add to the lub. Detroit Locker Tru Trac Limited Slip for Jeep - Jeep Differentials - Jeep Axle Replacement Parts - Jeep Drivetrain Jeep Axles & Differentials - by 4 Wheel Drive You'll have to call 4wd at 1-800-333-5535 for the AMC20 they order those straigh from the factory and don't have them in the catalog or on line. I think when I bought mine it was about $596 Not putting down auburn product but in my opinion. Detroit Tru-trac is the best Limited slip. And I know opinions are like a******* every body has one. :)

Last edited:
Sorry old dog I disagree with you. For my money detroit tru-trac is the best and at $394 for the Dana 30 is a steal. It uses gears not clutchs to wear out over time, and no additive to add to the lub. Detroit Locker Tru Trac Limited Slip for Jeep - Jeep Differentials - Jeep Axle Replacement Parts - Jeep Drivetrain Jeep Axles & Differentials - by 4 Wheel Drive You'll have to call 4wd at 1-800-333-5535 for the AMC20 they order those straigh from the factory and don't have them in the catalog or on line. I think when I bought mine it was about $596 Not putting down auburn product but in my opinion. Detroit Tru-trac is the best Limited slip. And I know opinions are like a******* every body has one. :)

Well I agree with you on two things. The Auburn has clutchs (rebuildable)
and it needs an Additive.
If you look in my profile you will see I run a tru Trac in the front of mine,
it's works like a Limited slip should. And I'm ok with that for now. But I
will have a locker one of these days.
When I had the Auburn in the rear it also worked like a Limited slip, ie.
if both tires are on the ground, both tires pull, get one up in the air and
it's the only one that spins. All in all they both work the same. :D

Last edited:
I have lockers now, I would just keep them. Do they need replacing during the re gearing?

Probably not. Lockers are part of the carrier. If you have the so-called "lunchbox lockers" where the locker replaces the spider gears of the differential you might be able to keep them. Otherwise, all lockers are themselves carriers so they will need to be replaced.

Well I agree with you on two things. The Auburn has clutchs (rebuildable)
and it needs an Additive.
If you look in my profile you will see I run a tru Trac in the front of mine,
it's works like a Limited slip should. And I'm ok with that for now. But I
will have a locker one of these days.
When I had the Auburn in the rear it also worked like a Limited slip, ie.
if both tires are on the ground, both tires pull, get one up in the air and
it's the only one that spins. All in all they both work the same. :D
Yes your right, I know lockers are the best but was a little out of my price range, and my wheeling is mid range at highs, Mostly highway and offroading with the kids. I just perfer the gear driven detroit to any thing else, less maintance and all. And if Getting a locker is in your future I would also get the cheaper Limited slip, no reason to spend extra money on something your going to replace in the future. I think the amc detroit tru trac is higher then the auburn not sure. :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom