Swapping a T18 for a T15?

Swapping a T18 for a T15?
looks good, how was your tranny still going?
My T-15 is in pretty bad shape. It has been rebuilt several times (new bearings, seals and syncros) but none of the gearing or shafts have ever been replaced. They are all due to be thrown away... 1st and 2nd are completely shot. It could get me home but it is about to explode into little bits of molten steel!!! :(

for that kinda cash, why not a NV4500? dunno if it would bolt to the Dana 20 but you can't beat the tranny.

Good question... Because of the amount of engineering, adaptors and such I would have to do on a non factory CJ Transmission I stuck with something that is basically a bolt-on. I know I can just bolt it up and it fits and works. No body, frame, bellhousing, clutch disk or pressure plate, clutch linkage, skid plate, crossmember, yoke, Transmission tunnel, shifter, or other modifications that I just don't want to deal with.

I don't even need to worry about a driveshaft as this swap is so popular that there are CV shafts already on the market...

well what fun is that??:eek::D:laugh::chug:

well what fun is that??:eek::D:laugh::chug:
LMAO! I thought the same thing at first... :confused:

Then my 45 years of existence on this earth kicked in and decided I just didn't feel like messing with a complete rework... :eek:

Maybe next time! :rolleyes:

LMAO! I thought the same thing at first... :confused:

Then my 45 years of existence on this earth kicked in and decided I just didn't feel like messing with a complete rework... :eek:

Maybe next time! :rolleyes:

Looks like we are in the same place in life. I'm through with pissin good $$$!!! after bad to cobble up some work of "art" anymore. It took a while, but I firmly believe that the easiest and best way to achieve a good working Jeep, and reasonable sanity, is as simple as a short walk to the telephone to order the right stuff!:chug: In the long run, you just saved yourself a bundle.

this all while I am sitting here on my day off, on the 'puter, dreaming of what I could be buying for my CJ....

Guess I'm in the same place also...

good news is, I've talked the ol' lady into a fairly sizable budget (for us) to actually start buying stuff. Too bad I have to be 1000 miles away from home to earn the $$$ :laugh:

Guess I better get out there and start working on something before I leave. :p

You can help your drive train out by installing a 1" motor mount lift, this will help drop the tail on the Transmission . Add a Tcase drop and improve your angles even more, Add shims or re-weld your spring perches so you have no pinion angle. Then if all else fails a double cardigan joint at the tcase.

You can help your drive train out by installing a 1" motor mount lift, this will help drop the tail on the Transmission . Add a Tcase drop and improve your angles even more, Add shims or re-weld your spring perches so you have no pinion angle. Then if all else fails a double cardigan joint at the tcase.
Good tips Deadfeat. I already have a Transmission / tcase drop and shims. If I need to I'll cut and reweld the perches.

I did get a confirmation today that the Transmission has shipped. :banana:

It's coming to my work address - saved about $125 on shipping that way! :chug:

good news is, I've talked the ol' lady into a fairly sizable budget (for us) to actually start buying stuff.
Alright!!! Once you can talk her into buying into this, it's a better day for all!!! :notworthy:

Well she's the one that has kept me from selling the old girl when we ran into money troubles last year (like 3 times!) So she has a vested interest in getting it in the shape we want it in for wheeling...Then she gets her a new(er) Jeep (for me) to build up! :woohoo:

Dang Ive really hijacked your thread didn't I? Sorry about that! :laugh:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......new parts......:D
So, Are you gonna be childish, get all itchy, and poke all the new toys under her ASAP? ( EXACTLY what I would do:() Or are you going to be all grown up and responsible, (unlike me)and tear it down to fix the past carnage and tinkering like you were considering? I'm getting a little (OK, a lot) jealous seeing all the parts coming in!:chug:

So, Are you gonna be childish, get all itchy, and poke all the new toys under her ASAP? ( EXACTLY what I would do:() Or are you going to be all grown up and responsible, (unlike me)and tear it down to fix the past carnage and tinkering like you were considering?
I thought about this quite a bit lately and for once I'm going to be an adult and do this right. I have about 6 or 7 grand saved up for Jeep projects and it's time I did something.

I'm going to do it right... :D

I'm thinking a new disk brake system front and rear, as well as - dare I say it a new body...

My running gear is in very good shape - except for the Transmission ... I have a new power steering box as well as many other items I have accumulated over the years just sitting in my shop / garage so it's time to put them all together... :chug:
Your going to see allot of build and rebuild threads from me in the upcoming months...

Heck, I was just going through my stuff in my office and came across these valve covers. I had forgotten all about em!

Fedex just dropped of the other box of bell housing bits and parts they forgot to leave when they were here earlier... Throw out bearing and arm as well as other assorted pieces including a new boot...

:grinjeep: where is the :drool: icon?? :dbanana:

I posted one over there

Well, I received a late Christmas present today! A 4 speed arrived at my works loading dock all safe and sound... :D

Man that thing is HEAVY! I dread moving it around when it has the spicer 20 bolted to it! Here are a few shots to tide everyone over till I start the actual installation. :)

Click For full size images...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom