TFI upgrade question

TFI upgrade question
Mine actually got a little better. Plus I retuned the carb and started running syth. 2cycle oil in the gas.

I just switched my carb. from the stock single barrel carter to the M2100 2 barrel and love it, except the mpg still is only about 10ish. Hoping this upgrade might improve it a little more.

I just switched my carb. from the stock single barrel carter to the M2100 2 barrel and love it, except the mpg still is only about 10ish. Hoping this upgrade might improve it a little more.

I am going to suggest you start thinking about a cam and lifters, the one barrel carter AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l had a rather underwelming cam even compared to the two barrel AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . The 2 barrel is a major leap forward but you will never get all the good out of it with out a cam upgrade. I'm not going to say you will get better milage but I wouldn't think it would be any worse and a bit more fun to drive. :cool:

I would think that fix should come before any more upgrades!:)

ill get to it sooner or later. to much fun doing other stuff to it lol. i just make sure after i drive it for awhile i put gas back in it. it is our toy so it only gets out some nights after work and some weekends. so for in two years ive never ran out of gas.

I am going to suggest you start thinking about a cam and lifters, the one barrel carter AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l had a rather underwelming cam even compared to the two barrel AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . The 2 barrel is a major leap forward but you will never get all the good out of it with out a cam upgrade. I'm not going to say you will get better milage but I wouldn't think it would be any worse and a bit more fun to drive. :cool:

I'll have to look into that one, but it will have to be a ways down on the list. Do you know of anyone that has done this and what would i be looking at as far as money?

I'll have to look into that one, but it will have to be a ways down on the list. Do you know of anyone that has done this and what would i be looking at as far as money?

A couple hundred I would guess but don't sweat it your fine with out it. Just think of it as one more little tweek you can make when you decide it is time.

That looks like a pretty good choice. I wish I knew the specs on the cam that is in it now(stock 1 bbl). I could be buying the same thing I already have and never know it.

COMP Cams CL68-232-4 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy 4x4 Cam and Lifter Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
this is what i wished i would have done to mine while i was rebuilding but sadly i didn't have the extra cash to spend. oh well its going to get this cam when i do the 4.0 head swap. what sucks is you have to tear the motor down to bare block, minus the rotating assembly, just to change out a cam.

Did the TFI upgrade on my ignition yesterday. Jeep runs much crisper with better throttle response, My Ca. AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 1V had horrible hesitation off idle and made leaving a stop sign a question of will it fall on it's face or will I make it to 2nd gear? I did the ghetto version and replaced cap base/cap/rotor/wires/non E coil and regapped the existing plugs to .0045 and reset the timming( was off 4 degrees even though I did not move the distributor). The Original equipment cap/rotor/wires that I replaced were nearly new so It wasn't a matter of the old stuff being worn out.
Good bang for the buck here and pretty much a no brainer.:chug:

one of the (in my mind) best cheapest thing to do to your jeep.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom