Variations of Transmission and Transfer cases for swaps - what is the best?

Variations of Transmission and Transfer cases for swaps - what is the best?

Orionarms82

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 Jeep CJ-5 (304)
EDIT By CJ:

This is a pruning of a discussion started in this thread -->> T-150 Upgrade?

I split the thread and moved this interesting discussion to this thread. Some post were kept in both threads as they are relevant to both...

Re: T-150 Upgrade?

You dont need any AA or Novak parts to put a Jeep trans in a Jeep

If you want an upgrade....Upgrade tha Dana 20 aswell.The Dana 300 is better,Lower Geared and More Adaptable for what you want.Driveshaft changes will be required with almost all trans swaps.

A T-18 is no better "ON ROAD" than a T-150 It provides the same Final gear ratio 1-1

An AX15/NV3500 I believe is what you want.The bellhousing for a 4.0 is the same as a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .So if it came behind a 4.0 it will work on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l No need for custom bellhousings.

AX15 Swap is about 500$ total

Either Novak, or Advance Adapters is going to have the adapters you want, plus can give you info on lengths and such, either may have support hardware depending on the tranny wanted. Tom Woods Driveshaft can make you the custom shaft needed after the install.
A few web searches, a full credit card, some fabing up a few linkage parts or supports and you will be running a more modern tranny soon.
A rebuilt modern tranny plus adapters and than the fab work done at home should run between 2 to 3 grand for a quality install. Add a driveshaft and you are going in style

Sorry but I dont think so.Your prices are way outta wack.You are finding custom prices for stock Jeep parts just cause AA or Novak sells them.I wish I was your mechanic.I could quote top of the line offroad shaps and a simple brake change would be 1k dollars.

Tell me why you would need a different bellhousing from an NV3500/3550 4.0 to bolt to a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l

Yeah Ill agree but if we had money like that would we be driving 25+ yr old vehicles?[YES I know] Its easy to throw money at something but research is the time/money saver....Its also bad info for future people searching a possible swap.They will see the post and think it is 2k dollars to swap a transmission when in reallity its not.We are all here for a common bond=Love of CJs and also making them better/Reliable[If Possible]

When I first started in a CJ7 The Mags were great......Forums are ten times more informative so lets give good info to future participants.Thanks

Let's play nicely.:chug:

The T-150 is a great trans, most people swap to try and get lower gearing and still have good road manners. You can keep the T-150 and just upgrade the Dana 20 t-case with different gears. You still get good road manners and lower gearing.
Check novak for more info on swapping in 18 gears into a Dana 20 .

Sounds like the gear split is too much.A T-150 sucks to drive on the street plain and simple.A T-18 will be no better than a T-150 as you wont be taking off with granny gear anyway.

It sounds like the OP would like a better gear split so the only good/logical choices are a T/5 AN AX15 OR AN NV3500/3550. All of these SHOULD be coupled to a Dana 300 which is a better case than the Dana 20 .

The only other trans which I would consider is a T-18 with the 4.03 first gear but there is still no Overdrive .Just from the OPs post it does not sound like he is looking for the best OffRoad performance.

I believe his best overall choice, and the easiest most cost effective would be a T-176 / Dana 300 direct bolt in.

Are the driveshafts the same as a T-150 ?I didnt think they were from my understanding

A T-5 /AX15/NV3500 will bolt to a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with no custom parts and the AX15/NV3500 Will/May need a seal for it to the Dana 300 and driveshafts mods.

The AX15/NV3500 Would be far better in my mind than a T-176 .The gears are split different and it has Overdrive and bolts to a Dana 300 .

I love the T-176 /177 but also love Overdrive .But the T17x series is a great/Strong transmission.

The OP needs to tell us more of what He/She is looking for otherwise we are wasting our time.

I hate to not play nicely or sound abrasive but if I could save someone a few hundred dollars then so be it.

I have alot of Jeep knowledge and pride myself on factory swaps without spending alot of money.Im down with spending money but only where it is needed

I say this simply from a doner vehicle standpoint. I have found it to be an easy job to find the doner, pick up the parts in one shot and swap in period correct parts. As you have a superior knowledge, I will remove myself from the topic.

I say this simply from a doner vehicle standpoint. I have found it to be an easy job to find the doner, pick up the parts in one shot and swap in period correct parts. As you have a superior knowledge, I will remove myself from the topic.

That is undoubtably the best way.Jeeps can be bought all over for 500$ with a bad or no body.To me thats the best cut the rusted frame and I can fit all the parts in a shed.I dont have to have a Full Jeep around.

My quote I made was based on the fact he wanted a more modern Transmission
by the way the NV3550 is a jeep transmission put in jeeps in 2003 thru 2004
it features a Overdrive , and thinking a Modern transmission I would think you wanted an overdirve, Swapping from a 3 to 4 speed without the benefit of a Overdrive really makes no sense to go through such an expense.
I agree going with a Older from the same era tranny would be cheaper, but then you only would normally (not always) gain a small reduction in first gear.
both end up with a 1 to 1 top gear. So there in lies the reason for choosing the nv3550. As for why I choose to change bell housing is to get the correct spacings both in bolt pattern and for input length. OK so you can say that is not needed, but having dealt in frankenjeeps for years I have seen some really scary things running down. and a jeep with questionable part changeovers canleave you with a stuck on the trail low down sinking feeling.

A 4.0 is a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l thers no difference where it bolts up.Its internal. Its not Frankenjeep till you swap non jeep parts in which is a joke in itself and Jeep used parts from every manufacture.

An AX15 is far supperior to both a T-150 and a T-5 and very similar in stregnth to the NV3500 or 3550 and a factory trans as is the NV.

AX15/NV Swap should be less than 1k$ with a used transmission and parts.Plus youll get a Dana 300 which is better also

Opinions are like a-holes, but I'm with Brock. I think you need to get your final drive gearing worked out. Then you can decide if your gear splits are right the T-176 , T-18 and T-150 have worked great in many Jeeps for many years. I wasn't until the failure prone late model CJ's & YJ's with SR/4, T-5 , T-4 , and AX15 that transmission swapping became so popular. In most over drive transmissions in heavy duty use the over drive is a failure prone part. unless your planning for a NV-4500. Besides unless you get a NV-4500 from a Chevy truck that came with compound low. You'll have a wider overall gear spread with the T-18 . Don't believe me, break out your calculator.

Ill guess your opinion is the same.A T-18 is great for rockcrawling but not for the street.

Sounds to me like the OP want a newer more Econominal trans not an NP435/T-18 Granny low blah blah

Ill guess your opinion is the same.A T-18 is great for rockcrawling but not for the street.

Sounds to me like the OP want a newer more Econominal trans not an NP435/T-18 Granny low blah blah

I drive a compound low BW T-19 every day on the street to work. Granted it's not economical, but that because of 405 horsepower 401V8 not the transmission. I never said any thing was wrong with the street transmissions. The T-176 is great. I bought a brand new 81' CJ 5 that had one I used heavily on the highway. Up to 600 miles to work one way, it was excellent for a street Jeep. I also bought a brand new 88' Wrangler for my wife, it came with a POS AX-15 trotline weight of a transmission. It now has Scout Dana 44 's front & rear a Dana 300 T-case & a T-18 .

Opinions are like a-holes, but I'm with Brock. unless your planning for a NV-4500. Besides unless you get a NV-4500 from a Chevy truck that came with compound low. You'll have a wider overall gear spread with the T-18 . Don't believe me, break out your calculator.

A Dodge NV4500 is more suited as it will fit a Dana 300 .It has a 5.4 or 5.6 to 1 first synchd as apoosed to the Chevy 6.3 or 6.4 to 1 and thats only 2 years I believe 93-94 Pretty sure after that they were the same gear ratio between Dogde/Chevy and the Dodge still has the correct rear output housing.And the 5th gear problem was solved.

Ide like to see the wider spred between a granny low and the NV4500 Enlighten me

I drive a compound low BW T-19 every day on the street to work. Granted it's not economical, but that because of 405 horsepower 401V8 not the transmission. I never said any thing was wrong with the street transmissions. The T-176 is great. I bought a brand new 81' CJ 5 that had one I used heavily on the highway. Up to 600 miles to work one way, it was excellent for a street Jeep. I also bought a brand new 88' Wrangler for my wife, it came with a POS AX-15 trotline weight of a transmission. It now has Scout Dana 44 's front & rear a Dana 300 T-case & a T-18 .

Your YJ came with a Puegot NOT an AX15.i agree 100% the Puegot in the 88 YJ Is garbage.The AX15 is not the same trans

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks