Variations of Transmission and Transfer cases for swaps - what is the best?

Variations of Transmission and Transfer cases for swaps - what is the best?
Re: T-150 Upgrade?

IMO it's hard to beat the Dana 300 Transfer case. I love the simplicity of the all gear drive, no chain stretch issues. There are multiple 4 to 1 kits, twin sticks,Kits for 32 spline front & rear output shafts. The strength of the iron case it nice to boot.
Great case, had one in a CJ7 , yes has a lot of support, I know a lot of guys who swear by them for their strength.
By the way did you know Orion is making a modernized D 18 t case now? Talk about wanting to upgrade, Imagine paying Orions pricing for a t case like that?

I have to ask... Why such a heated debate over such a generic question? :)

There are about 3250000000 (maybe I'm a little high here :) ) combination's of transfer cases, transmissions, clutches, shifters and such that can be swapped into a CJ. There is no right or wrong combination... :)

It boils down to what do you want out of the swap, what is your budget and what amount of work are you willing to put into it. :)

Great case, had one in a CJ7 , yes has a lot of support, I know a lot of guys who swear by them for their strength.
By the way did you know Orion is making a modernized D 18 t case now? Talk about wanting to upgrade, Imagine paying Orions pricing for a t case like that?
No I have not seen that. When I swapped the 2.3L Ford into the flat fender it had a great little D18 with full range O/D & PTO. A great Konig winch with Rail Road track bumpers. I wish I had never sold it!:(

So you are saying jeep researches what it takes to put a D18 tcase to a th350 tranny? would that be a small flange or large flange D18?, what about output shafts, have they researched what shaft to sell you to put a AX15 into Dana 300 ?, what about spline count? How aout the TH 350 is that a 2wd or a 4 wd version and does Jeep research the different adapters needed to convert to a 205 tcase?
these companies deal with such so that you are not Limited to a few options. I am not pimping them, I am just saying they make conversions nice and simple. Not all transmissions Used by jeeps will match any jeep belhousing or t case, there are many reasons you cannot use this with that. The origonal poster, remember the guy who started this thread, is asking about 4 or 5 speed trannies, most 5 speed trannies are going need some kind of adapter support.

Do some research the AX15 NV3550 are 23 spline same as the Dana 300 and NP231 241OR ETC.6CYL only as 4cyl are 21 spline

Yes I am saying that AA NOVAK Definately base there stuff off stock parts and it is possible to make something better which I know some AA Novak parts are better than stock.Weather it be Stronger Lighter or Shorter there will always be a better part.

I can adapt a Turbo 350 with a simple spline swap in the Dana 300 .You fail to realize that Dana NP/NV made alot of parts for different vehicle models.Not just Jeep but many vehicles.Thats why Dana is a company and not a Brand Specific Company.Jeep used all model parts.

The OP asked about 4 and 5 speeds.I have replied with 4 and 5 speeds with no custom parts.You on the other hand say custom parts are needed and offer an absurd amount to perform a simple swap.

As to why the debate: My swap is less than 750-1000$[I wouldnt pay that but even using Ebay Craigslist} Baja claims its is 1800$ plus

Again your not comprehending my post. I've never purchased a bellhousing from either AA. I got one to adapt a Ford 2.3L to a T-90 . Trust me Jeep never made one! I have used AA's adapters to hook Ford T-18 's & T-19's to Dana 300 's again Jeep never made that one either. What is it you have against these guys anyway? :confused:

My post was not at you.

I have nothing against AA or Novak

Novak is what got me started swapping trannies and motors with stock parts.

I had a CJ7 W/a GM 151 /T-176 /Dana 300 I wanted a Chevy V8

Get this NOVAK told me I did not need thier bellhousing as My GM151 bellhousing was the right 1 for me.They did not try to sell me custom parts as I had allready had what I needed.

AA on the other hand told me I needed 1000$ in custom parts.

I will have my opinion and everyone else can have thiers

I have used AA's adapters to hook Ford T-18 's & T-19's to Dana 300 's again Jeep never made that one either. What is it you have against these guys anyway? :confused:

And again Wrong.
Jeep put the T-18 in front an NP208 I believe that a Dana 300 and NP/NV231 will bolt up to.It only needs a different input for the Tcase.31 or 32 spline I believe instead of 23 spline.Ive done the research Most trans swaps do not need a Tcase adaptor only an input swap.

Do some research the AX15 NV3550 are 23 spline same as the Dana 300 and NP231 241OR ETC.6CYL only as 4cyl are 21 spline

Yes I am saying that AA NOVAK Definately base there stuff off stock parts and it is possible to make something better which I know some AA Novak parts are better than stock.Weather it be Stronger Lighter or Shorter there will always be a better part.

I can adapt a Turbo 350 with a simple spline swap in the Dana 300 .You fail to realize that Dana NP/NV made alot of parts for different vehicle models.Not just Jeep but many vehicles.Thats why Dana is a company and not a Brand Specific Company.Jeep used all model parts.

The OP asked about 4 and 5 speeds.I have replied with 4 and 5 speeds with no custom parts.You on the other hand say custom parts are needed and offer an absurd amount to perform a simple swap.

As to why the debate: My swap is less than 750-1000$[I wouldnt pay that but even using Ebay Craigslist} Baja claims its is 1800$ plus
there you go, spline count changes according to aplication, as does the spline count on the input device, now lets go and find how this spline count is on a t=AMC 150 , or a t-15t 18 etc, or how the shaft lengths of all of these differ, how about the length of each and the need to modify mounting supports. From there we can go into more and more differences, you yourself are now telling us about "simple" spline swap. Simple to whom, the origonal poster is asking ow hard such is, would you say it is simple to him? or to everyone attempting it? If so why do we have mechanics if it is simple to everyone?

ok research, ah the np 231 uses a 23 spline shaft for 4 cylinders, check out the 03-04 2.4 engine. now as they are all jeep stuff and adaptable let us see if we can squeeze a 134 into a hd350 with a Dana 20 without an adapter.

I think you have something against companies that make money by giving us what we want.
I personally applaud them for making it easy for me to do what want.
This will be my last post as this seems to be turning into an argument and this is such a fine site I do not want to argue on it.

And again Wrong.
Jeep put the T-18 in front an NP208 I believe that a Dana 300 and NP/NV231 will bolt up to.It only needs a different input for the Tcase.31 or 32 spline I believe instead of 23 spline.Ive done the research Most trans swaps do not need a Tcase adaptor only an input swap.

The Jeep T-18 has about 6" more shaft than the Ford And a equally long adapter that I chose not to use because of driveline length considerations. How many times did you say you have performed this swap again?

Hey Baja, could you post web site for that Orion site. Thks

there you go, spline count changes according to aplication, as does the spline count on the input device, now lets go and find how this spline count is on a t=AMC 150 , or a t-15t 18 etc, or how the shaft lengths of all of these differ, how about the length of each and the need to modify mounting supports. From there we can go into more and more differences, you yourself are now telling us about "simple" spline swap. Simple to whom, the origonal poster is asking ow hard such is, would you say it is simple to him? or to everyone attempting it? If so why do we have mechanics if it is simple to everyone?

ok research, ah the np 231 uses a 23 spline shaft for 4 cylinders, check out the 03-04 2.4 engine. now as they are all jeep stuff and adaptable let us see if we can squeeze a 134 into a hd350 with a Dana 20 without an adapter.

I think you have something against companies that make money by giving us what we want.
This will be my last post as this seems to be turning into an argument and this is such a fine site I do not want to argue on it.

Ill make it simple 89 or 90+ 6CYL Jeep is 23 spline
ALL 4CYL and few 87 to 89 6CYL with NP207 are 21 spline

Ill find an adaptor if you so need one but now you are just looking to prove me wrong.

I will gladly learn new info but apperantly you guys will not accept there is a Cheaper/Better solution than just picking up a magazine.

AA and Novaks ads must be huge as you will not research information on your own.These boards are here for the reason we do not agree.INFORMATION

Telling someone it will cost 2k$ to swap there transmission to better one is insane.It will steer most people from even atteming a swap but if you do win the lottery AA and Novak will be there for you guys

there you go, spline count changes according to aplication, as does the spline count on the input device, now lets go and find how this spline count is on a t=AMC 150 , or a t-15t 18 etc, quote]

Scout Dana 300 no custom adaptors
Got any other ones?
How about an NP435 with no adaptors other than an Input swap?

And all 4cyl trannys are 21 spline.An AX15 or NV3550 Will be 23 Spline No Myth Smoke Or Mirrors Needed

there you go, spline count changes according to aplication, as does the spline count on the input device, now lets go and find how this spline count is on a t=AMC 150 , or a t-15t 18 etc, quote]

Scout Dana 300 no custom adaptors
Got any other ones?
How about an NP435 with no adaptors other than an Input swap?

I Didn't have a Scout Dana 300 or NP435 or a Jeep T-18 , But I had a couple of like new Ford Tranny's that I knew the history of. I noticed you side step my question.

I Didn't have a Scout Dana 300 or NP435 or a Jeep T-18 , But I had a couple of like new Ford Tranny's that I knew the history of. I noticed you side step my question.

Wheres the sidestep.I said it wasnt a Ford Trans.You word your answer/question very oddly.

Jeep T-18 to Dana 300 No Custom adaptor.Adding a few inches is not a reason to not do it.More people run NP231/Dana 300 and the legnth is not a problem so adding a few inches is not worth 500$

So what was you question I was side stepping.I obviously am not leaving this thread

Wheres the sidestep.I said it wasnt a Ford Trans.You word your answer/question very oddly.

Jeep T-18 to Dana 300 No Custom adaptor.Adding a few inches is not a reason to not do it.More people run NP231/Dana 300 and the legnth is not a problem so adding a few inches is not worth 500$

So what was you question I was side stepping.I obviously am not leaving this thread

You still have not answered. How many times you've do this swap?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks