Variations of Transmission and Transfer cases for swaps - what is the best?

Variations of Transmission and Transfer cases for swaps - what is the best?
Re: T-150 Upgrade?

I take you refusal to answer a simple question, The answer must be NO. So now I guess you just trying to impress with ability in reading manuals.:rolleyes:

WHAT QUESTION You must not be getting something? T-18 SWAP AX15 SWAP NP435 SWAP WHICH SWAP?

You guys have many posts but not enough research.

Yes AA and Novak make many many great products.Simply put ALOT of them are not needed.

Just cause your setup works for you does not mean it is the best for everyone else.
I lkie many Jeepers did not have enough Cash at the time to shell out for AA oe Novak parts.So what I did was research.You BOUGHT your way out.Good for you

I take you refusal to answer a simple question, The answer must be NO. So now I guess you just trying to impress with ability in reading manuals.:rolleyes:

Ill take your inability to learn anything new with a grain of salt.
You apparently will not leave this alone so you must be right with your supperior post count.

And what manual would I be pulling this info from?AA and Novak parts along with Dana 60s do not impress me.Got a Pirate thread and Ill continue this over there?

1st - The fact you compaired the ax-15 to a T-150 is freaking funny.
2nd - All the suggested swaps you mention are costly. Why you ask?

He bought 2 CJ5 's. I'll say it again CJ5 . The swaps your pushing are
way to long for a CJ5 the amount of work involved is a PITA. A simple gear swap
would net the OP what he's looking for, either a higher top end or down for good offroading.
AX-15 - 16.5" long
T-150 - 9.25"
Dana 300 - 10.5 or 11.5"
Dana 20 - 10.5"
Just in a bolt up swap with an AX-15 and a Dana 300 is 7.25" of extra length.

To the original poster, let us know the reason for the tranny swap and we can better answer the question.

Last edited:

1st - The fact you compaired the ax-15 to a T-150 is freaking funny.
2nd - All the suggested swaps you mention are costly. Why you ask?

He bought 2 CJ5 's. I'll say it again CJ5 .quote]

I didnt compare them I said it was far superior.
It can still be done in a CJ5 .most people think that you cant put an automatic in a CJ5 which again is not true,it just requires some extra planning.

This thread turned in to a Tech debate anyway so the OPs setup is void

It's also getting personal. Let's keep it civil guys. Again..... play nice.

You dont need any AA or Novak parts to put a Jeep trans in a Jeep

If you want an upgrade....Upgrade tha Dana 20 aswell.The Dana 300 is better,Lower Geared and More Adaptable for what you want.Driveshaft changes will be required with almost all trans swaps.

A T-18 is no better "ON ROAD" than a T-150 It provides the same Final gear ratio 1-1

An AX15/NV3500 I believe is what you want.The bellhousing for a 4.0 is the same as a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .So if it came behind a 4.0 it will work on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l No need for custom bellhousings.

AX15 Swap is about 500$ total

With the lower 1st gear in a T-18 it makes it possible to run a lower number final drive ratio accomplishing the same thing as O/D.

WHAT QUESTION You must not be getting something? T-18 SWAP AX15 SWAP NP435 SWAP WHICH SWAP?

You guys have many posts but not enough research.

Yes AA and Novak make many many great products.Simply put ALOT of them are not needed.

Just cause your setup works for you does not mean it is the best for everyone else.
I lkie many Jeepers did not have enough Cash at the time to shell out for AA oe Novak parts.So what I did was research.You BOUGHT your way out.Good for you

I could say the very same to you. I also have 30+ years of experience in practical application to boot.:cool:

Ill take your inability to learn anything new with a grain of salt.
You apparently will not leave this alone so you must be right with your supperior post count.

And what manual would I be pulling this info from?AA and Novak parts along with Dana 60s do not impress me.Got a Pirate thread and Ill continue this over there?

If the 60's didn't impress you. Maybe the fact I pick'em up for $400.00 bucks for the pair. Totally rebuilt. That includes all new bearings, ring & pinions, Disc & Drums, Shoes & pads, E- brake cables, tierods & ends, kingpins & front & rear covers with magnets inside. :cool:

Last edited:

Come on you all! I would hope that I wouldn't have to say anything and we were all above this type of stuff. This is not what I want going on at this site.

Last and only warning! Personal attacks, snide comments and such are not tolerated.

I don't care who nor am I even go to check back in the thread to find out.

If you cannot go by our adage of 'If you cannot say some thing nice, say nothing at all', then I will intervene.

Come on you all! I would hope that I wouldn't have to say anything and we were all above this type of stuff. This is not what I want going on at this site.

Last and only warning! Personal attacks, snide comments and such are not tolerated.

I don't care who nor am I even go to check back in the thread to find out.

If you cannot go by our adage of 'If you cannot say some thing nice, say nothing at all', then I will intervene.

I sorry if I said any thing to offend you CJ. I was merely responding to the myriad of post 1stjeep posted after I signed off last night.

No problems... I want it to be clear that my post was not directed at any one individual... :)

That looks cool. I wounder if they have the PTO adapter that lets you run the O/D?
that I do not know. it says it will not run the Saturn but says nothing about the PTO. I really like the PTO on the 18, On my current build I am going to block it off though. I will have a PTO and Ramsey winch for sale. the Ramsey needs a sheer pin. Common on Ramsey is for the sheer pin, the tolerances are really tight and it does not take a lot of dirt to get in there for a bind, I know you hear me say the name, but Herm the Overdrive guy, in Washington state specializes in stuff for early jeeps, he will take the unit and machine it so the tolerances are not so tight and afterward they are indestructible.

As a side note to traany/t case combo's is one of the reasons the dana 18 t case is so popular is because of the Warn/Saturn Overdrive unit. The Dana 18 is subject to extra wear because of the output location. But because of the location it has a PTO port, a common adaption is to put the Overdrive unit in there and get double the option of available gears. plus, here comes that adapter word again, but they make an adapter so you can run both the PTO and the Overdrive . Some of the legend of early jeeps was they had a PTO and could be used doing farm work, etc. The Dana 18 was upgraded in teh early 60s when Jeep released the first jeep with a v-6, they then released what is commonly called the super 18, it is the running gears of the 18, with a larger shaft, put into the Dana 20 case. this way it could take the power of the v-6.
You will find a lot of early jeep fanatics that still run the D-18 case and love it. I keep one rebuilt as a spare and about every 3 years yank the old one and send it to be rebult, Of course I live in the rock crawling capitol of the nation with Johnson Valley just a hour from the house.

As a side note to traany/t case combo's is one of the reasons the dana 18 t case is so popular is because of the Warn/Saturn Overdrive unit. The Dana 18 is subject to extra wear because of the output location. But because of the location it has a PTO port, a common adaption is to put the Overdrive unit in there and get double the option of available gears. plus, here comes that adapter word again, but they make an adapter so you can run both the PTO and the Overdrive . Some of the legend of early jeeps was they had a PTO and could be used doing farm work, etc. The Dana 18 was upgraded in teh early 60s when Jeep released the first jeep with a v-6, they then released what is commonly called the super 18, it is the running gears of the 18, with a larger shaft, put into the Dana 20 case. this way it could take the power of the v-6.
You will find a lot of early jeep fanatics that still run the D-18 case and love it. I keep one rebuilt as a spare and about every 3 years yank the old one and send it to be rebult, Of course I live in the rock crawling capitol of the nation with Johnson Valley just a hour from the house.

My first engine swap was a 2.3L Ford in to a Flat Fender with a T-90 /D-18 combo with the dual range O/D & PTO. I wish I never sold it, but I was young & dumb. Horse Power was everything & Gas mileage was of no concern. I never owned a Ramsey PTO winch. The Konig was more popular around my neck of the woods.

Hi everyone. Thanks for all of the info. I'm TDY in Germany right now, so I haven't had a lot of time to reply to any of the postings. What I'm actually looking to do is replace the 3 speed T-150 with something that would allow me to reach highway cruise speeds without burning 10MPG in fuel. Right now the two Jeeps that I have both have the T-150 trans, the 1975 CJ5 has a AMC 304 V8 and the 1979 CJ5 has the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6. Just to recap, I'm basically trying to find the best/easiest way to make driving at higher speeds a reality while maintaining the ability to use it off road. Thanks!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks