Vibration upon take off???

Vibration upon take off???

bdunnam

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ7 Laredo Black 4.2l i6
Well as you know my jeep has 4 in of lift 33-12.5-15 mud tires but the actually measure up to 31.5 in tall, and the stock 3.31 gear ratio. Well i was driving the other day with a buddy of mine and he noticed that when i was starting up from a complete stop that the whole jeep would just shake, ive never thought anything of it but it does it if you hold the rpms at around 750 the whole take off but if you rev it up a little bit or let them drop it doesnt do it at all or as bad. I think its just too high geared but he says not to drive it like that.

may be a problem with one of the springs on the clutch disk.:cool:

So far everyone could be right.
My guess is kinda like yours though, the gearing is mighty low for 33's ( I know really 31.5) this can make clitch slip more than usual to get moving, it will also wear out a clutch, and or warp the flywheel if you get it to hot.

So far everyone could be right.
My guess is kinda like yours though, the gearing is mighty low for 33's ( I know really 31.5) this can make clitch slip more than usual to get moving, it will also wear out a clutch, and or warp the flywheel if you get it to hot.

Don't you mean the gearing is high for 33's?
Kind of like taking off in 2nd gear all the time.

well it could be the flywheel is warped i need to check into it, but i believe that the clutch was replaced when i had the tranny replaced. but the flywheel does make a little noise after the engine is running after cranking

Doesnt mean the mechanic resurfaced the flywheel and in that case would actually make this happen. I think you could have a clutch issue but I have also seen the rear end rock in back and forth which could cause this. the stock axle pads get worn out and they round off at the bottom so they rock on the springs. It happened to mine many years ago.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom