What did you do to or with your CJ today?

What did you do to or with your CJ today?
Put the YJ bar in. I don't like the look nearly as much, but kids appreciate the shade from the longer bikini top, and wife appreciates the rear shoulder belts.

View attachment 101924
It pains me to say... that's ugly...

I was thinking, my CJ has similar hardware, but is only there if my top is installed also, but is never seen naked.

And... Investigated the metallic knocking thats been getting worse over the past few months. Sounded like a rod knock. Pulled the oil pan and a few main and rod bearing caps, everything looked great. Except for all the slack in the timing chain. I'm always disappointed in OEMs deciding to use plastics like nylon on critical wear parts. 132k original miles, I've had it since '99 with 34k miles. Cloyes true roller and a tune up and she's running better than she has in years. Plus new front and rear main seals and shes a lot less "leaky".

IMG_20240702_220320737.jpg

On my AMC 150 the gears were steel and worn down at 140K miles. When I took a used AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l apart for rebuild it had the fiber gears and they were toast.

They make them in plastic. But I always make sure I get the steel gear when doing timing sets

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

It pains me to say... that's ugly.
Lol at first I didn't realize you were talking about the softop hardware - oh that never stays up by itself, I put it up to be sure it didn't interfere with the new rollbar, pic was settling a bet with a friend. This is the only way she goes out in public.

IMG_20240703_105116946_HDR.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Cool ugly...
The family bar sucks? IMO
But, you have what you have to work with...

And... Investigated the metallic knocking thats been getting worse over the past few months. Sounded like a rod knock. Pulled the oil pan and a few main and rod bearing caps, everything looked great. Except for all the slack in the timing chain. I'm always disappointed in OEMs deciding to use plastics like nylon on critical wear parts. 132k original miles, I've had it since '99 with 34k miles. Cloyes true roller and a tune up and she's running better than she has in years. Plus new front and rear main seals and shes a lot less "leaky".

View attachment 101925
That sprocket sure is shot.

Sometimes you just got to take time and diagnose issues.

Have you thought about why it wore out so fast… Maybe inadequate lubrication. Normally the chain will stretch and cause symptoms before the sprocket gets to that point of wear. I think.

Raised bump stops by about a half an inch to insure proper spring compression limit. I have to come up with another bump stop mount bracket for the flat on the pumpkin to keep the u-joint yokes from meeting up with the oil carter. Thal will happen later.

View attachment 101842

View attachment 101843

View attachment 101844

View attachment 101845

View attachment 101846

View attachment 101847

View attachment 101848

View attachment 101849

View attachment 101850

View attachment 101851

View attachment 101852
Now for the rear axle. The shocks are too short and will reach full compression before the axle contacts the shorter bump stop. Luckily I have a pair of longer shocks in the long term storage bin. I am deciding whether to weld a heavy nut on the leaf spring plate and use a shoulder bolt or weld mounting tabs on the axle tube to mount the longer shocks. The latter involves more work but yields a nicer look and maybe better clearance.

IMG_3339.jpeg

I like the second option.

Yes. It’s worth the extra work. Crawling under, leveling and welding.

I used my CJ as a flag pole holder for my Fourth of July party. Yes I know today is the 6th but I had to work Friday and getting up early after a day of drinking sucks1721393fa3003882d393f4307ab72bff.jpg

You look a little dehydrated too !

A bit

Lol at first I didn't realize you were talking about the softop hardware - oh that never stays up by itself, I put it up to be sure it didn't interfere with the new rollbar, pic was settling a bet with a friend. This is the only way she goes out in public.

View attachment 101926

I converted my CJ bar to YJ family bar and hate the look but my kids are protected a lot better now and that matters, i also have the spreader bar across mine as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a modification to my rear view RH mirror. I don’t have to look through the intrusive windshield and wiper arm and can now flap down the windshield without moving bracket.

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_3340.jpeg

Can you show what you actually changed ?

The rod is different or at least where the mirror mounts

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom