Build Thread $600 Salvage Cj-7

Build Thread $600 Salvage Cj-7
Yeah Yeah my friend. Quick wit there. I'll be taking all the measurements and outlining the whole thing so everyone can see the results.
ah tj flares

Watch Craigslist daily. Mine came straight from our Jeep club President though. I knew I was in good hands. My parts Jeep came from him for $450 and now the $AMC 150 hard top. Both were delivered as well.
damn i'm jealous again, why can't i find a hard top that cheap. i'll give you $200 for it

It even has some kinda courtesy light in the rear by the hatch. The wiring was still there and my Cj happened to have the correct harness as well. Bulb was shot though , but I'll be sure to update on this luxury option :D
Now you'll have one of them fancy warm CJ's.

Getting the Scrambler doors , my new found hardtop and beat up door strikers to all work together was quite a task. Hours of hinge adjustments , shifts of the top itself and finally some elongated holes have it on and the doors functioning pretty good.

The door strikers on the parts Cj seem like new but need some adjustments. I need a vice to put them in and havent gotten the garage all set yet so I'll adjust them at work. Overall though it fits pretty well now.

Winterwarrior.jpg

And now for my tip of the day. Heres a pic of my Transmission mount. Whenever you remove and reinstall this mount do yourself a favor, put some red loctite on the bolt thats pictured. If not after awhile itll work its way loose and you'll spend a few hrs. wrestling with your beat up skid plate trying to realign everything. Not that I know this through experience or anything! :D

transmount.jpg

I am replacing my Transmission mount as we speak and have lock tite and lock washer on it. those are a real PITA to get to when the skid plate is on. the washer was my idea but the lock tite sure wouldn't hurt, especially when I found the mount held on by just one bolt when I took things apart.
Question; is or was there a hanger for the exhaust pipe as a part of the Transmission mount?? the purpose to keep the torque flex out of the manifold connection? I don't remember removing one but there were a lot of things about the 70s and 80s I don't remember. It does seem that if there was one I would have to replace the donut gasket less often.:cool:

Last edited:
There isnt any hanger from any of mine attached to the Transmission mount. There is a factory bracket right behind that area after the skidplate. The Salvage Cj-7s rotted away long ago but the parts Cj still has it there albeit severly rusted. I'll grab a pic of it tomorrow when its light out.
Question; is or was there a hanger for the exhaust pipe as a part of the Transmission mount?

Had some time to work on the Cj today. Ive been babbling for a long time about putting Tj flares on her so here we go. 1st pic is the way she looked with the stock Cj flare.

Tjflare1.jpg

Tj flares have pins on them from the factory to place the flare on the Tj tub in the correct spot. Nice that you can easily buzz these right off. That hole next to it is going to be your friend later when you make your mounting holes.

tjflare2.jpg

For the rear of the Cj its pretty straight forward to mount these up. More aless just clamp your flare where you want it , cut off the offending sheetmetal and....Wah Lah!

tjflare3.jpg

Here it is with a tire in the wheelwell. Its too late tonite to get some decent pics outside the garage but I'll get more when I finish the other side and front within the next few days

tjflare4.jpg

Tjflare1.jpg

Petescj or anyone else who can help:
I just purchased a 79 CJ7 V8. I was sooo eager when I saw it that I did not look at the frame. My frame looks just like yours and I am not a mechanic or welder. I thought that I only had surface rust, but I had no idea of "what lied beneath"!!!! I've done the basic tune up and it runs great, but what I thought was just surface rust turned out to be frame, pan and body rust. I really need help with this CJ that i love despite the cancer. Does anyone have any suggestions on a welder and/or body guy that doesn't charge the bogus (astronomical) prices that I've been receiving over the phone??? I need to find a true jeep lover that understands a working mans budget, and not a jeep capitalist!!! If possible someone in the southeastern Pa region or surrounding area. I want to do as much of the work as I can, but I know my limits….

Read more: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/im-making-progress-my-project-79-cj-5001/index6.html#ixzz19TrY9zIs

Sending pm.
I just purchased a 79 CJ7 V8. I was sooo eager when I saw it that I did not look at the frame. My frame looks just like yours and I am not a mechanic or welder. I thought that I only had surface rust, but I had no idea of "what lied beneath"!!!! I've done the basic tune up and it runs great, but what I thought was just surface rust turned out to be frame, pan and body rust. I really need help with this CJ that i love despite the cancer. Does anyone have any suggestions on a welder and/or body guy that doesn't charge the bogus (astronomical) prices that I've been receiving over the phone??? I need to find a true jeep lover that understands a working mans budget, and not a jeep capitalist!!! If possible someone in the southeastern Pa region or surrounding area. I want to do as much of the work as I can, but I know my limits….

Read more: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/im-making-progress-my-project-79-cj-5001/index6.html#ixzz19TrY9zIs

Im going with a new lift over the winter. Its more about articulation than tire size at this point. My current springs are way too stiff. Probably just a 2 1/2 and stay with 33s. Are you tired of seeing the yellow wheels with worn all terrains? I am. ;)
looks good how much lift, and what size tires you gonna use pete.

th_cj7-1.jpg

No way Pete, I love the Stealers themed CJ :D

For the body at least.

Sorry its time to change. Someone even decided to give it the affectionate name the "short bus". :laugh: Besides its time to get rid of some of the parts in the garage to make room for well , more parts. :)
No way Pete, I love the Steelers themed CJ :D

This was the easiest way I found to line up the Tj flare. The white dots in the pic are where to drill for the holes. Close to the top on either side of the wheelwell you'll see two holes directly across from each other. The inner ones are just to index the flare when put back on. This worked great for both rear flares.

tjflare7.jpg

I drilled all the holes with a 1/4 in. bit and used some unconventional hardware. Even the metal hardware I used on the original flares some 2 yrs ago was a little tempermental disconnecting. I decided to use these.

tjflare6.jpg

They hold pretty well and wont rust. When I need to remove them it should be pretty easy. Also if something grabs the flare on the trail hopefully the hardware will give saving the flare. I'll let you know how it works a little down the road.

The front flares are a little more time consuming. Less sawzall and more tin snips for them. I'll get some more "during" pics up tomorrow but heres the before and after.

tjflare8.jpg

tjflare5.jpg

~ Besides its time to get rid of some of the parts in the garage to make room for well , more parts. :)

Spoken like a true Jeep junkie smiley644.png !!!

The TJ flares look good, do you plan on wiring up the marker lights on the front?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom