Build Thread $600 Salvage Cj-7

Build Thread $600 Salvage Cj-7
Im putting the sidemarkers in. Mines a daily driver so it just makes sense. I'll have them all finished up today and post a pic or 2.

Sorry its time to change. Someone even decided to give it the affectionate name the "short bus". :laugh: Besides its time to get rid of some of the parts in the garage to make room for well , more parts. :)
sorry to say but i agree time for a change. bout like thorwons pepto cruiser. :D

Ouch not that bad!! :laugh: And the pepto cruiser was probably a better starting point than the Salvage CJ7 . :eek: Anyhow got everything done today except the sidemarker install. I used the same method for the front as I did the rear. There were two alighnment pins on the front flare. The rear one gets buzzed off and the front one lines up the flare using the sidemarker hole in the Cj fender.
bout like thorwons pepto cruiser. :D

tjflare11.jpg

By cutting the fender the way I did in the above picture it made it pretty easy to install the flare. The outer rim was buzzed off from where the electrical cord is all the way to the bottom of the flare. The pin and the portion of the rim I left on made alighning it a snap. Took a little while trimming around the sidemarker area but the fit was well worth it. Heres the pic of the flare after I removed the alighnment pin and rim.

tjflare10.jpg

So time pull her out of the garage and get a pic. I like it alot. I was a little worried about losing the round look of the Cj flares but I think it looks good. Here you can see how it really opens the wheelwells and thats what this is really all about.

Tjflare9.jpg

Winterwarrior.jpg

Looks good Pete, now all you need is some 35's.:D

Looks good Pete, now all you need is some 35's.:D
Oh no you didnt lol! Glad to see you chime in though. I really feel with a new 2 1/2 in. lift and some decent Mud terrains I'll be pretty
happy. Forgot to add that I re-did the nutter bypass and will have my whole exhaust system firmly in place before I return to work on the 3rd of Jan.

Whats with the new pup in the avatar? I mustve missed something.

Whats with the new pup in the avatar? I mustve missed something.

Baby new year :laugh:
My daughter came to visit for Christmas and brought her new pup.
I'll be going back to my "old dog" lab soon.

Heres the follow up on that. Pretty easy install with just a 2 min. alteration to your Cj lamp socket. In the pic you'll see where I took one of the tabs off that lock the socket in the sidemarker lens. Then you just take off the one directly under it. I cut mine off with a steak knife... dont tell Vicki. :laugh:

Spoken like a true Jeep junkie smiley644.png !!!

The TJ flares look good, do you plan on wiring up the marker lights on the front?

lampsocket.jpg

Thats about it. The lenses clip in on top and are held by a "body or push" nut on the bottom. I really like this mod. It opens up the wheelwells substantially and I kinda dig the look.

litup.jpg

On a side note I found this piece of advanced technology on my parts Cj. The Salvage mustve had one. It'll light it up a bit underhood in case of emergency. Now I know what 1 of those wires are for. :rolleyes:

hoodlamp.png

Wow! 7 months ago was about the last time I did any work to this Jeep. I parked it cause the frame was rotting by the rear shackle and I didnt feel it was safe. A few personal matters cropped up and here we are in late August.

While I banter back and forth between my many personalities trying to figure out wich Jeep to focus on I came upon a deal I could not pass up.

I always look at a bunch of parts in ads and scour around trying to gather up whatever it is I need. This little piece of luck I ran across had to be put in this thread.

Tools. No matter wich Jeep I wanna mess with I need tools. While I was talking to a friend at work about this a coworker overheard our conversation. Seems he had some things Id be interested in and " Just wanted them outta the garage". BINGO!!! You have to know this is gonna be a score...

I couldnt believe what I heard. I was going to head down to Harbor Frieght and grab an engine stand to put the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l from the parts Cj on. $60 for it according to the internet.

Anyway after talking a bit to my coworker who added he "Wont be pullin motors no more" , I now have all you see for $100

aaatool.jpg

Some people have all the luck. :notworthy:

Strangely enough that tool pick up may lead to the end of the CJ7 for me. I'll explain when Im positive.

You dont know the half of it. :) I went from struggling between my 2 Jeeps to waiting to rebuild this one, then actually dumping this one.

Lets just cut to the chase. When I grabbed up my engine hoist,stand and ramps there was something else for sale. I couldnt stop looking at it. Its not often you run into one of these on the East coast where rust is king:

Stang.png

It was pretty tough turning down the Mustang. But hey, Im a Jeeper so I just couldnt give up my scrap heap CJ7 :). Sad that I havent really had any action on this thread , but the economy and the following pic is what grounded the CJ7 since January. :(

aaarust.jpg

Frame rust is bad enough , but right by the rear spring shackle is just downright dangerous. Never fear though, once the Scrambler is roadworthy the $600 Salvage CJ7 is going to get some real goodies and a whole new look to boot. :chug:

Well from what I hear we may get some rain this weekend. :laugh: With hurricane Irene scheduled to make her debut here in Pa. sometime tonite I knew I had to get some things accomplished.

aaaa.jpg

Not that they were going to blow away or anything but now the "new" drivetrain is safe inside. I still have to work the Scrambler in there so some work is still undone. Speaking of wich I must go. :)

I'm new to the forum and have loved this thread. thanks for the posting, I'll put some pics of mine new old 86 CJ7 as soon as i can.
greg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom