Blazer Motor Upgrade

Well, OK that did not work. Took it off, cleaned it, replaced it. I compared it with my '85 and it's same but i cleaned it anyway.

thanks for the write up. Wasnt planning on this as i live in a warmer area and plan to drive the CJ mostly in the warm seasons.

But, i have the dash out for paint already so why not. I turned the old motor on once and it sounded like death. at least i can blow some air when it gets hot.

I tack weld a piece of sheet metal over my old hole then marked center then used a hole saw .

I'm new to this forum and I have been searching the great info on here.
I am in the process of rewiring my jeep and decided to upgrade the blower motor. I don't have access to a welder so I screwed a piece of plywood to the fire wall ( using existing holes )to help hold the hole saw center while I drill the hole. I used a hole saw the size of the hole and turned it backwards to drill a pilot hole to mark the center. Now I will be buying a bigger hole saw to drill the hole for the new motor, I will let you know how it comes out.

Attachments

• Jeep 2.jpg
    Jeep 2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 180
I finished the blower motor upgrade. A couple of pictures. One of the finished hole and one of the motor installed before reinstalling the battery tray. Now I am waiting on the defrost duct piece to arrive and some switches and gauges to finish up the dash.

finished hole.JPG

finished.jpgfinished hole.JPGfinished.jpg

so im gonna order the motor...do inned to upgrade anything like the resistor/switch or just insert new motor, enlarge hole and is that napa# correct?

Last edited:
so im gonna order the motor...do inned to upgrade anything like the resistor/switch or just insert new motor, enlarge hole and is that napa# correct?
When i did mine I did not change any wiring. It would behoov you follow the wiring from the switch all the way out and make sure the connections are clean and making a good connection. Dirty connections can heat up and melt or cause problems and this motor is going to pull more amperage through the wire than what your original blower was moving.

can anyone tell me which direction the blazer motor turns? from the shaft end would be good.:D

and the part #s in the first posting are correct??

I just recently bought one from AdvancedAuto #35587 for a 73 Blazer -$22. Some places use a pm102 number.

cool, my parts dept. called and got me the napa one w/ the # in thew first post so hopefully i can get this done soon...being a daily in MA the weather is starting to get chilly!!

I guess alot of people are starting this project with the weather starting to turn

I wasn't planning on doing it (not sure why) but figured it's alot easier to do when your body is in this position!
p7xb.jpg

and not in a driving state where it would be a major project!
I guess I do know why I wasn't planning on it. I never really looked into the cost but figured it would be a lot more than $22. That made it a no brainer given it's current status. :doh:

I wasn't planning on doing it (not sure why) but figured it's alot easier to do when your body is in this position!
p7xb.jpg

and not in a driving state where it would be a major project!
I guess I do know why I wasn't planning on it. I never really looked into the cost but figured it would be a lot more than $22. That made it a no brainer given it's current status. :doh:

Are you painting the tub yourself?

Yes and no. I'm doing all the PORing, the filling, and the primering, but I'll have someone with experience do the bc/cc finish paint job on it. I don't want my Jeep to be the guinea pig easel for my painting skills. :)

How much is that going to cost? I eventually want to paint mine. I dont want to do a frame off though. So I am sure it will cost me more to have them do the prep but I'd like to get a solid idea of how much I need to save up

Well it seems like paint prices run the gammet. My neighbor has a body shop and uses the new water borne paints that EPA pushes and it would run roughly $12-1500 for the paint alone, $2500 for the job and that's supposedly cutting me a break. So I got pricing to go old school paint (which is what I used back in 96 and was still in good shape prior to my resto) and for Dupont Chroma-base and Chroma-clear and activator, primer, whatever I'd need, was just over $400. I'm still looking for a painter with a place to do it but I figure I can get it all done for under $1500 incl. paint. So I'm looking for a guy with the skill who paints on the side. I don't need a car show finish but I want it better than what I could do.

another quick one before i attempt to tackle this, what about sealing the box to the firewall after the upgrade??
got the motor waiting to yank the box when im not driving it

another quick one before i attempt to tackle this, what about sealing the box to the firewall after the upgrade??
got the motor waiting to yank the box when im not driving it

I reused the seal from the original blower. It was able to stretch over the larger blower motor.

Either that or buy a new one that will have more resiliency to it. Worst case: you'll have to make one out of a garden kneeling mat or cooly cup (closed cell foam). Depending on the thickness you need. I haven't got to the installation time yet for mine.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom