Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread

Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread
Good Gawd boy, that frame is a work of art. Good for you. :notworthy:

Man that is looking GOOD!

Will it go back together as quick as it came apart? :laugh:

Good Gawd boy, that frame is a work of art. Good for you. :notworthy:
It really looks pretty good. They even cleaned up a few of the welds I didn't bother with before coating it. The powder did a reasonable job of flowing into some of the small pits and smoothed it out some.

I'm happy!!! :)

Now you need to do what I do when I get a new toolbox. Scratch it somewhere on purpose. That way the first time you scratch it while trying to install the Transmission . or putting a leaf spring on, you won't throw the wrench in your hand as far because it already had a scratch.:D Seriuosly, Looks great. Can't wait until we start seeing some assembly pics!

Something funny... I just got an email from FedX that my springs were deliver and just about that same time, my motion camera sent me a snapshot of someone walking away from my front door. I bet he just loved delivering 2 sets of springs! :D

Please disregard the dirty front window! The critters won't clean their nose prints off! :laugh:

attachment.php

Grr... Boy did I screw up! Well, not so much as screw up but forgot to do something before I coated the frame...

I forgot to remove the steel sleeves that were left over from the factory frame to shackle bushings. They would not have been any easier to remove before the coating but I wouldn't have to be as careful! These things are a pain! Two hours and two down... Two to go! :D

attachment.php

All right! Got the :censored: bushings out and I'm heading down to the hardware store to pick up some nuts, bolts and washers to hang the springs. Only casualty is a big bruise on the knuckle of my left hand.

Here is a shot of the offending bushings!

attachment.php

Bet you don't forget that little detail again.:D

So true CW. If it werent for those type of experiences none of us would know um ,err , richard. :) Thats whats making this site so great. Learning from others in a cooperative manner. We can give each other a dig once in awhile but the knowledge around this site is increasing :cool:

Bet you don't forget that little detail again.:D

Huh forget what? :laugh:

So true CW. If it werent for those type of experiences none of us would know um ,err , richard. :) Thats whats making this site so great. Learning from others in a cooperative manner. We can give each other a dig once in awhile but the knowledge around this site is increasing :cool:
LOL - So true! If I didn't want anyone to know about this I could easily not said a word... It's just one of a million things I'm sure I will wish I had done a little differently on this build! :)

You'll be happy to know Im posting it every where. I got a reply from a guy in Austria saying you were a :censored:. Lol jk :laugh:
Huh forget what? :laugh:

LOL - So true! If I didn't want anyone to know about this I could easily not said a word... It's just one of a million things I'm sure I will wish I had done a little differently on this build! :)

Getting ready to paint my diffs I decided to throw in somw new wheel bearings and seals I had laying around. I thought might as well change them out while I am at it... Damn glad I did!

Turning the axle I felt little drag every rotation so, since I had to pull the diff cover anyway to replace it, I went ahead and pulled it right then... I noticed a little moisture but I didn't think it was very bad. Boy was I mistaken!!!

Found a shot ring gear! So now I have to order a new gear set and wait for that to come in also!

Always be sure your diffs are dry or have fresh lube in them if your going to store them for any length of time! My CJ only sat for about 5 months!

attachment.php

Sh!t, that is no good. :mad: You make a good point though. I guess I had better pull mine down to have a look. I'm hopin I won't find that kind of heartbreak though..

Last edited:
Yea, I was a little dejected but - it's my own fault... :( I pulled the front dif cover and the gears are OK. I think I'll set up a positive air pressure system for the diffs and Transmission while I have this thing apart so I don't have to worry about it again... One air compressor - coming my way (and a new ring and pinion)!

Bummer on it happening but Kudos for finding it . Mine were sitting in my shed for the last 2 years. I just had the seals and bearings replaced by Joe from Endless Mountain Fabrication here in Pa. He does some good work. He assured me everything looked good. Hes a good tech guy. I'll have to send him over here for apeak at the site. Hes doing some really cool :dung: with an Xj right now. Guess I better check the matching Dana 30 that has been in the shed as well.

Are you gonna do a tech article on the positive pressure system for the diffs., and Transmission .? I would love to see one.

Are you gonna do a tech article on the positive pressure system for the diffs., and Transmission .? I would love to see one.
I can, I don't see it as being that big of a job. Looks like a compressor, airtank and a couple of regulators is all I need. Oh and a manifold, that way I can branch off for high pressure if needed for and air tools or tire inflation. I probably wouldn't even bother if I wasn't POed about the gear and had my CJ apart! :)

Dont forget the distributor...

Finished rebuilding my Dana 20 today. I would have been done a long time ago but I decided to document it with a :dung: load of pictures so I can write up a good Tech Article on it. I haven't found a good Dana 20 rebuild guide with step by steps on the net so I decided to make one...

Speaking of articles... I know all of you have some great tips and such, or even little projects that you all have been working on. A little write up sure would look good in our Articles section... (hint, hint)

Jeep-CJ Tech. Articles

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom