Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread

Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread
Funny little conversation I just had with my buddy... I told him how uncomfortable I was buying a new tub with wrong Jeep logo on the side and I was going to cut the old one off and stitch it on the new tub. He said "you Jeep guys are sure weird."

Now - coming from a guy with a 34 Ford P/U with a Toyota truck frame grafted to the 34 frame, a Chevy engine and all shaved - I wasn't quite sure how to take that! :laugh:

Hot rod guys don't mind misc. parts, but jeepers will salvage parts off an old one to make a new one look "right". Like when I swapped a cj grill into a YJ so I'd have the right headlights, dash too.

True, true...

I finished the alarm system and it is working perfectly. Now my friends shop is protected again - whew!

Also worked on the CJ a bit.

I'm sure I'll have the engine out and the frame stripped tomorrow!

True, true...

I finished the alarm system and it is working perfectly. Now my friends shop is protected again - whew!

Also worked on the CJ a bit.

I'm sure I'll have the engine out and the frame stripped tomorrow!

BAH! This thread is worthless without PROGRESS! I'm boycotting till there is something to report!:D

BAH! This thread is worthless without PROGRESS! I'm boycotting till there is something to report!:D
Eww CW! You are SOOOO out of the club! :laugh:

I just snapped a pic for ya. I had to come up with a way to pull the engine without using a cherry picker. I am going to raise the frame up, attach the engine stand, finish loosening the collector bolts and then lower the frame. The engine should just lift right off of the motor mounts.

Well, that is my plan at least. We'll see tomorrow! :D

Soooo...OK. How are you going to get the engine stand with the engine out of the frame??

Soooo...OK. How are you going to get the engine stand with the engine out of the frame??
I'm not sure I under stand that question... :confused:

Do you mean "How are you going to get the engine on stand with the engine out of the frame??"

Easy, The stand is too tall to put on right now. I raise the fram with the engine attached with my floor jack. Slide the rollers on to the engine mount mast and bolt it together, and when I lower the frame the engine lifts off.

This pic might help explain better.

I meant that once the engine is on the engine stand, how are you going to get the stand, and the engine, out and away from inside the frame? OR will you leave it in there and just work around it?

Ahh, if my measurements are correct, once I tap the leaf spring bolts out of the shackles the frame will be able to be lifted off over the engine.

Should be interesting!

Screw that! I have a great big ol engine hoist, come on over and get it. We'll have a cold beer.:chug:

If anyone is interested... The alarm works great! The owner of the shop called and said that it went off already, seems one of his buddies didn't quite understand how to disarm it and couldn't get it to stop going off!

Mission accomplished! :D

Screw that! I have a great big ol engine hoist, come on over and get it. We'll have a cold beer.:chug:
Your just a bit out of the way there CW... :)

I have a hoist, I just can't get it right now! A friend has it and he's unreachable at this time... :(

Just as a thought...An engine stand can be used for a lot more than just lifting engines...Might be a thought to break down and buy one?? You could use it to lift that frame high enough to remove the engine stand from the frame!

EDIT, we posted together...never mind...

Your just a bit out of the way there CW... :)

I have a hoist, I just can't get it right now! A friend has it and he's unreachable at this time... :(

That stinks... I have a buddy that was big into race cars and setch, that just got out of the whole mess. Pulls up one day with a brand new great big 1.5 ton engine hoist, a massive engine stand, a Transmission jack and dolly, and some other goodies, and says, Here you go, their all yours. :notworthy:

That's great! The one thing that helps out around my garage is I have a pretty big floor jack and one HUGE hydraulic Transmission jack. It's rated for 1 ton (I wouldn't put more the 1000 lbs on it though) and it can raise up 34"! It has helped me many times...

I worked on getting that engine out last night and - can you say FAIL! What a pain. Needless to say I just got home from picking up a new cherry picker (courtesy of my friend - he doesn't know it yet :)).

I'm going to get a bite to eat then assemble the hoist.

Interesting trip. I snapped a few pics.

1) Who the heck actually applies the tar patches to our roads? That is a job I wouldn't want! These squiggly lines / tar patches go on for miles!

Clickable Thumbnail
View attachment 206

2) I saw this Jeep at a body shop in my town. I turned around and snapped the pic just for Jeep-CJ Forums - View Profile: PinkBlackAndMud

Clickable Thumbnail
View attachment 207

Got the cherry picker together and pulled the engine, pulled most of the accessories and put it on the stand.

I finished pulling the brake lines, exhaust, removed the steering box and then washed the frame (kinda sorta)...

The only thing holding the diffs to the frame is eight bolts, I even took off the nuts...

The frame is now in the garage waiting on the car trailer. I'll go down to the paint / powder coater / sand blaster tomorrow and see when I can drop it off.

Maybe I missed a post, but does that mean you decided to powdercoat the frame?

Maybe I missed a post, but does that mean you decided to powdercoat the frame?
Nah, but they are not just a powder coater. They paint and sand blast as well, and no matter what I do, I'm going to get them to blast it clean for me.

Oh Man, this is getting more exciting by the post...
I sure can't wait till I can do that to my Jeep, or to any one of a number of future projects I have in mind...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom