Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread

Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread
Por is not UV resistant to color fade, but Por claims it will NOT cause any deterioration to its adhesion characteristics. The only affect is the color will turn a whitish gray. That is why they suggest a top coat. That is according to Por, not from personal experience. The main part of the frame that would be affected is the section that sticks out in front of the grill. I am going to coat mine, sand lightly, and paint with a semi-gloss black spray paint. That way the scratches won't be as evident.

POR-15 then top coat it with chassis black also POR.
I don't recommend powder on the frame for the chipping and rust issues.

If you want to go cheap use Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy spray paint.
The epoxy makes a hard scratch resistant surface, I used it on my last jeep.
I hit stumps and all kindas of :dung: in the S. Ga swamps and it held up great.

Hell CJ, you're not building a showboat. If it were me, I would do...well, just what I DID do.:D Blasted the frame clean as new, fixed the little stuff to clean it up, weld up what needed to be done, then automotive epoxy primer, and a good shot of high solids black. It's still holding up, and any little scrapes and dings I find when I'm crawlin around under it get a little kiss with rustoleum black. I did use a POR like product INSIDE the frame when it was stripped down, but that's it.

All the ideas and thoughts are great... :) They help me make up my mind.

Most of my decisions when I was younger were based on two criteria - time and money... One I had to little of and the other more then enough... :)

Now that I'm older the criteria is the same, it's just that now the roles are reversed. That plays very heavily on what and how I progress on this build.

Keep the ideas flowing, I'm soaking them all up!

I spent a few hours today and now only have a few things left to pull. I might be able to get the frame completely bare this weekend. Just need to pull the engine and exhaust now. The suspension is only on by the 8 shackle bolts (nuts are loose).

After a few hours of drilling out rivets that I had used years ago to attach the braided stainless steel fuel line to the frame and much cursing - I have this little bit of advice... Don't use steel rivets! They are a nightmare to drill out!

Here is a pic of my Holley blue race pump that has served me for so many years without any trouble. Damn is it nasty! I'm going to switch over to the correct Holley inline FI pump when I re-plumb the new fuel lines.

Almost done with the tear down, then we start the build up! :chug:

attachment.php

Drill out rivets, bah you say, that's was a dremel and a cutoff wheel is for.
They are gone in sec's, use the cutoff wheel to kinda grind down the head
then just pop it out with a punch or nail. Me i've done it so often I just cut the heads clean off.

I look forward to more build pic's.

LOL - I probably should have though about getting them out as I was putting them in... When they took forever to get in I should have known they would be a bitch to remove! :laugh:

I'll have more pics soon. I can't wait to start getting thing back together. I think I'm going to build a few dollies for the diffs this weekend so I can paint and add the Stainless Steel Brake kits to the front and the rear Danas. No more drums!

NIce project and it looks like GI-Joe has been kicking A_ _ on that project.

Although he does not look like the 70's GI-Joe I had.

Dave

Ever thought about using riv-nuts. That way you can leave them in and just unbolt the lines. Riv-nuts kick butt! We use them to install spoilers at the dealership. Good to see someone making progress. I didn't touch mine this week due to the weather.

yea X2 I'm thinking of picking up a set of those for my build, also.

NIce project and it looks like GI-Joe has been kicking A_ _ on that project.

Although he does not look like the 70's GI-Joe I had.

Dave
Thanks for the compliment on the project dave pam, also, I called him GI-Joe one time and he mumbled something then threatened to kick my <-BAD WORD->! He has issues... :)

Ever thought about using riv-nuts. That way you can leave them in and just unbolt the lines. Riv-nuts kick butt! We use them to install spoilers at the dealership. Good to see someone making progress. I didn't touch mine this week due to the weather.
PC, back when I put in that fuel system I was young and dumb! I wish I had thought about rivnuts then!

yea X2 I'm thinking of picking up a set of those for my build, also.
mylittle CJ5 , you x2ing on the brakes?

nah x2 on the riv-nuts, I can't afford SS brakes, and while my front disc swap is almost ready, I will be swapping axles before I go to rear discs.

Since I had budgeted for the brakes and saving for a long time I decided to go that rout. I'm not in the mood nor do I have the time to reengineer / fab allot of my CJ. I actually did that years ago so I'm really just doing an update / refresh...

Dont get me wrong, I think the SS brakes are a good idea. Are you going for disc on all 4 corners? I might have missed that part.
When I get serious about the drivetrain on mine (basically when the engine finally gives out) I will be building mine a bit different than this time. 1 ton axles, 38" tires, stretched WB, that kind of thing. Just not right now, since I can't get into it that far, then leave for work for months on end.
Your doing it just the way I would, considering the mood and lack of time for scratch-building.

Yea, SS on all 4. After this build I might get another CJ to fab and beat up again, but this is the first vehicle I ever owned and as such I want to rebuild it better then ever without allot of design work. I'm going to buy what has been tried and proven out. I'm not into R&D work right now...

Now, on the next CJ! Watch out!!!

Scratch the new tub off the to do list... I spoke with Willys Overland today and put my order in for a modified body. One thing that kinda bites is I found out the Jeep emblem (the raised area) on the side is not correct for a 72 but is the new plain text.

I decided to order the body without the 'Jeep' emblem and cut my correct one off the old tub and graft it to the new body. I just couldn't put the wrong badge on the old girl.. :)

That's about all the ordering I need to do to finish this thing though I'm sure I missed a few items here or there...

Scratch the new tub off the to do list... I spoke with Willys Overland today and put my order in for a modified body. One thing that kinda bites is I found out the Jeep emblem (the raised area) on the side is not correct for a 72 but is the new plain text.

I decided to order the body without the 'Jeep' emblem and cut my correct one off the old tub and graft it to the new body. I just couldn't put the wrong badge on the old girl.. :)

That's about all the ordering I need to do to finish this thing though I'm sure I missed a few items here or there...

if that is the place in toledo, oh let me know the likes and dislikes of it. when i get the money i was going to get one from there. one good thing for me is i can drive there and get it. i live alittle over a hour from there.

That's them. You'll be able to follow along here and see what you think. :)

HEY BOSS MAN! It's the weekend, and I expect pictures of a COMPLETELY stripped frame WITH a good cleaning and inspection by tomorrow afternoon!:D Now get outta here and get to work!

HEY BOSS MAN! It's the weekend, and I expect pictures of a COMPLETELY stripped frame WITH a good cleaning and inspection by tomorrow afternoon!:D Now get outta here and get to work!

LOL - Today is fix the alarm day on my friends shop. It HAS to be done today as it isn't something I can let slip... There is to much to loose at that place.

That being said. I'm going to pick up some angle iron and build some jigs for diffs today (if I can) and I sill need to pull the engine. Without a cherry picker I'm not sure how I'm going to do that but I'm leaning to using my Transmission jack some how...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom