Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread

Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread
Thanks, I'm very excited also! I've been wanting to do this for about 15 years...

Bad thing is though, I can only work for so long before I have to give my back a break... Definitely can't work as I could 15 years ago!

Nah, but they are not just a powder coater. They paint and sand blast as well, and no matter what I do, I'm going to get them to blast it clean for me.

OK, Since you have manned up and finished the frame strip, my thread ban is now over. :D Wait till you see that frame all clean blasted, I think that was one of the best parts of my build. It was amazing to go in to wrench perfectly clean, and leave hours later in the same condition! no grease no dirt, just clean, straight, frame. It was actually exciting when It turned into a rolling chasis with the rebuilt and painted axles and brand new suspension sitting there. You're gonna have a stone cold BALL when the stuff comes in clean.

OK, Since you have manned up and finished the frame strip, my thread ban is now over. :D Wait till you see that frame all clean blasted, I think that was one of the best parts of my build. It was amazing to go in to wrench perfectly clean, and leave hours later in the same condition! no grease no dirt, just clean, straight, frame. It was actually exciting when It turned into a rolling chasis with the rebuilt and painted axles and brand new suspension sitting there. You're gonna have a stone cold BALL when the stuff comes in clean.
I'm so glad your not ignoring me anymore... I just couldn't sleep last night knowing how upset you were... :laugh:

Your right, I remember years ago when I had the body off and it was so easy to work on and stay clean. The old girl isn't going to know what to think when she gets her new clean clothes and all her new trinkets! :)

Get off the damn computer and go finish the jeep

coughcoughskirtcoughcough.......:D

boy, and you say I'm rough...

CJ, try some glucosamine with msm. You can get it at any local drug store. It may take a few weeks to kick in, but stick with it. I am a mechanic, and used to suffer through 8 hour days. I have been taking that stuff for about 4 years. I now work 14 hours and come home nice and relaxed. I also work out pretty heavily. (Running, boxing, weight training)I ran out of it for about 2 months and kept forgetting to pick some up. My shoulders started to bother me pretty badly. I got back on it, and my shoulders felt good in about 2 days.

Thanks PC (I'll deal with you CW later :laugh:), the big problem is that my old surgery is giving me problems. I had 3 vertebrae fused together about 20 years ago and now I'm feeling it more then ever... I'll try some glucosamine with msm.

I forgot to add a pic of the old exhaust... I think I'm going SS on this also...

Just got back from the powder coaters / sand blast shop and I have decided to powder coat the frame as well as the skid plate, Transmission cross member, engine mounts, steering box mount, gas tank skid plate, and all the other assorted frame brackets and dodads...

Now, why did I decide on powder coating?

1) The last thing I plan on doing is rock crawling here in S GA. And also, I was allowed to take a hammer to a spare wheel they had off to the side that had been coated a few years ago. I hit that damn thing hard as hell several times and didn't chip it at all. They can't guarantee that it won't chip but it was impressive!

2) It's easy. I can take all the pieces down and I'm done except for maybe chasing a few threaded holes.

3) If I do somehow manage to chip it, they have some pretty cool epoxy paint that they mix the powder with that is almost invisible when applied.

While I was at the coaters I spent a long time looking at the colors available for the powder coating - I want the CJ body to match the coating perfectly, so I need to start thinking about a color. I have been seriously leaning towards a bright yellow (my favorite color), but while looking at the paint blotches a very cool purple blue metalic really caught my eye as did a pretty cool looking copper metalic too...

So many decisions!

I attached a screen shot of the two colors and also I'm attaching PDF's of the paletts available. The purple blue and the copper are in the 'Special Effects' pdf. When the clear coat wasapplied to them they really looked great! What do you all think?

attachment.php

More PDF's

I can't upload the metallic one as it is too big. I have to adjust the server settings later...

Well I have a soft spot for copper colored CJs (I wonder why) so thats my vote!

Found a couple of things I need to fix on the frame before I take it to the stripper. And before anyone asks, yes - I weld with the garage door shut. The neighbor hood kids have a tendency to sneak up behind while I'm working... Don't want to hurt their eyes! :)

And more stuff showed up today. New H4 headlights as well as most of the SS dress up items are here, now I just have to decide if I'm going to coat them or not. :) Disregard the dirty floor!

attachment.php

Maybe I am missing it, but I can't find the purple blue or the copper in that pdf. I love the copper colors, and really wanted to see that one.

I forgot about the back trailer hitch assembly so I pulled that apart today. Also rounded up assorted brackets that need to be coated black and put them in a box.

I then finished all the welding and grinding.

I'm a little unsure what to do about all the new shiny bolt heads I'll have after buying all the new hardware. I guess that once I get the frame back and put it all together, I'll make another trip to the coaters to have all the bolt heads coated to match.

I'm shooting for Thursday to take it down. I'll pick up the trailer tomorrow.

Get chrome bolts it won't add to the thickness of the bolt head and make wrenching a PITA. I like the Copper but it's getting kinda common, though not in S, GA. I'd go with blue.

BTW where in GA, I grew up near the okefenokee swamp.

Found a couple of things I need to fix on the frame before I take it to the stripper. And before anyone asks, yes - I weld with the garage door shut. The neighbor hood kids have a tendency to sneak up behind while I'm working... Don't want to hurt their eyes! :)

And more stuff showed up today. New H4 headlights as well as most of the SS dress up items are here, now I just have to decide if I'm going to coat them or not. :) Disregard the dirty floor!

attachment.php

Hits the ignore button so I dont have to see anymore pictures of what i should already have!!!:censored::poke:

Get chrome bolts it won't add to the thickness of the bolt head and make wrenching a PITA. I like the Copper but it's getting kinda common, though not in S, GA. I'd go with blue.
If I go no-color, they will be SS or grade 8 (gold), just don't know if I want all the bolts to contrast the frame...

BTW where in GA, I grew up near the okefenokee swamp.
That's by Waycross, I'm just north of Tall. - not too far...

Hits the ignore button so I dont have to see anymore pictures of what i should already have!!!:censored::poke:
Ouch! That hurts - quit poking me! :laugh: BTW - You talking welder or trim items? I bought that Miller 185 about eight years ago and it has worked great and worked perfectly every time. Best damn welder purchase I ever made!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom