I6 or V8? And Why?

I6 or V8? And Why?
heck, you should contact Jay Leno and sell it to him as a spare for his tank engined car. I think its the same one...

heck, you should contact Jay Leno and sell it to him as a spare for his tank engined car. I think its the same one...

It is..but mine don't look that good..:(

i like my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . for what i do its all i need. driving around town and playing in the mudd. but you cannt beat the sound of a v8.

I've had a '66 with the odd fire V6, a '86 with I6 and the '79 with a AMC 304 V8. I like them all for different reasons. The odd fire V6 had more torque then any of them due to the heavy flywheel weight. You could pull the front tires off the ground. The I6 is the most dependable motor on the planet. And you gotta love the sound of the V8 through a set of headers and a pair of glass packs. As long as they make the wheels go round and round, they're all good.:chug:

I think this could work.:chug:
V-12 tank engine, Hmmmm I wonder how much you'd have to stretch the wheelbase of a CJ5 to slip that bad boy in there?:eek: More Power!:laugh:

I've had a '66 with the odd fire V6, a '86 with I6 and the '79 with a AMC 304 V8. I like them all for different reasons. The odd fire V6 had more torque then any of them due to the heavy flywheel weight. You could pull the front tires off the ground. The I6 is the most dependable motor on the planet. And you gotta love the sound of the V8 through a set of headers and a pair of glass packs. As long as they make the wheels go round and round, they're all good.:chug:
love both my 225s, and have one dumped strait into glass packs, no cross over, that sound rocks also

Low compression? :confused: Explain...

Ya low compression, after my last wheelin trip it developed a miss,(too many R's I think) so with some testing #1 came in @129, #6 came in @130 while others where 139,141,140 and 141, did the leak down and wet test, all proved my assumtion. Really sucks because this motor is clean and allway purred like a kitten. What I would like to do is drop a AMC 304 in for awhile and rebuild the I6 with a little more beef. But money allways plays a factor.

I grew out of the need for a V-8 in the jeep. The I-6 puts out plenty to go anywhere I wish to go, not to mention, when your V-8 has 300,000 miles lets have a tug-o-war and see what kinda torque you still have.

Not starting a flame but it's just the truth, the 6 will maintain it's power over longer miles, I know an old man in GA that has a CJ7 he uses for hunting in the S.GA swamper and has over 500k on the original motor. He keeps the jeep clean and services it regularly.

I like a good stump pulling V-8 but for the Jeep the I-6 is my choice.

BTW, the V-6 Dauntless Buick 225 V6 is a bad little mother, gonna use one in my Rat Rod project,
if I can get my hands on one.

Ya low compression, after my last wheelin trip it developed a miss,(too many R's I think) so with some testing #1 came in @129, #6 came in @130 while others where 139,141,140 and 141, did the leak down and wet test, all proved my assumtion. Really sucks because this motor is clean and allway purred like a kitten. What I would like to do is drop a AMC 304 in for awhile and rebuild the I6 with a little more beef. But money allways plays a factor.

Once you have a "V8" in there you won't worry about fixing the "6", but why
a AMC 304 & not a 360. 360's are easier to find & bolt up the same way.;)

I love the sound of a well tuned V8 in full song as much as anyone. If I was looking for a Jeep for the quarter mile or mud bogging that is what would be in it. I could also see where the smoothness of a V8 would be of benefit on a rock crawler also. A V8 possibly backed by a NV3550 or NV4500 5speed and a set of Currie axles with lockers and gearing of your choice.
That old Dauntless Buick 225 V6 225 was the granddad for the Buick turbo GN 231s of the late 80’s.? My father’s 70 Commando had the 225, it out live the body, too many fishin trips to the point at Hatteras and was sunk twice. Yes, he sank it twice with salt water running though the doors, once in the Atlantic and once in the Albemarle Sound. The 225 was one of GM’s better engines. The old girl end her days with a Vega wagon body grafted to the shorten chassis with well over 250,000 miles.
If the cash was there I’d go with a Golen’s 4.6 stroker or possibly building my own using my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l reciprocating assembly with a 4.0 block and head. I don’t think my T-5 would put up with the torque so I’d have to change that too.
For now I can easily live with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l Weber carb and T-5 setup. I like the 20mpg I normally get and the putting around is just part of the character of the vehicle. I guess this places me in the 6 cylinder class.

V-12 tank engine, Hmmmm I wonder how much you'd have to stretch the wheelbase of a CJ5 to slip that bad boy in there?:eek: More Power!:laugh:

A little late, but I finally found the pic I've been looking for to answer this ??

About THIS much! :laugh:

Attachments

• MoyieMemorial021.jpg
    MoyieMemorial021.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 664
i6 is good enough for cummins so you bet your bottom dollar an i6 is one bad engine

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom