Oil pump replacement buy with new tube or use old

Oil pump replacement buy with new tube or use old

Techlight

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7: 4.2l i6 (mild cam), Team Rush, Howell TBI, T5, D300, D30-front, AMC20-rear, 33/10.5/15 BFG A/T's........................

1964 Kaiser CJ5 (sold),
1960 Willy's CJ5 (sold)
Hi All,

I'm about to put a new re-manufactured engine in my 84 CJ7 and figured I'd replace the oil pump while i'm there.

Do I need any special tools to attach the tube and screen to the pump? I can buy a Melling pump only for about 60 bucks. The pump and tube/screen is about 160 so I was hoping to use the old tube and screen.

Any advice? Should I just buy the pump/screen/tube new or reuse tube/screen?

Thanks.

The pickup tube can be a royal pain to swap. Heat the old pump to remove.
That said the new one might not come installed so your in the same situation.

You can make a tube driver by cutting a piece of pipe off at an angle or buy the tool for it.

Either way you need to take a reference measurement to the bottom of oil pan subtract 3/8-1/2” and install the new pump on the engine set the pickup tube to that height reference mark the angle then take the pump off and install the tube- don’t try to beat it on installed in the block.

Once pickup tube is installed tape a 3/8-1/2” drill bit to the screen couple dabs of grease and set the pan down to check for clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a new Melling, didn't come with tube installed -pain. Wished it had. Get new tube - doable

Thanks for the replies...I ended up ordering all new. I'll look into making that tool or having my local shop do it for me maybe.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$110.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom