Question About Lockers

Question About Lockers
Here's my opinion. (and remember it's just an opinion)

If you have lockers it seems like you can always stay moving. You may not always move in the direction you intended, but you will stay moving.

If you have open diffs you will always stay pointed in the correct direction. You may not always be moving but at least you will be pointed the right way.

That's why I like a selectable locker. The best of both worlds.
:grinjeep:​

Oh I'm fully aware of that. My main concern was spinning out on ice with a locker, but I really can't justify spending $900 for a selectable locker for my lowely AMC20 or Dana 30 stock axles. It would remind me of one of those guys that buys a $500 car with low book value and spends $5000 on a fancy paint job and wheels.

Oh I'm fully aware of that. My main concern was spinning out on ice with a locker, but I really can't justify spending $900 for a selectable locker for my lowely AMC20 or Dana 30 stock axles. It would remind me of one of those guys that buys a $500 car with low book value and spends $5000 on a fancy paint job and wheels.
Agreed
I don't want to try to convince you to get something you don't want.
A luchbox locker such as a lockright would be inexpensive and easy to install. No need to mess with the gears. But I would still recommend one piece axles.

I haven't heard of anyone breaking any one piece axle from any manufacturer, but I'd be willing to pay a few bucks more to have one less part on my project that's made in china.
You are so right on that point.

Running lock rights with bigger tires I had an awful time. There was constant clanking noises coming from the axle's along with a little pull you would feel each time. no fun! Turns out your tire pressure has to be just about perfect in all 4 tires other wise you get this. Just something to keep in mind. Arb's front and rear in my opinion are the best. Disconnect when your not using. Just push a button. So cool. I agree if your running a model 20 go with one piece axles or do an upgrade to a Dana 44 axle or similar rugged axles. Good luck.

Running lock rights with bigger tires I had an awful time. There was constant clanking noises coming from the axle's along with a little pull you would feel each time. no fun! Turns out your tire pressure has to be just about perfect in all 4 tires other wise you get this.

Tire pressure is important with these lockers...any amount of differentiation will cause the drivers to rotate slightly against the couplers. But this is normal. The noisy nature of Lockrights is just a minor nuisance associated with this design...very apparent when cornering. But keeping your tire pressure equal will eliminate this issue going in a straight line.
The pull is the locker engaging. Another characteristic of an auto-locker. You just learn to drive it like you would any other vehicle.

Exactly, If your more off road then on, and looking to save your wallet this is actually a good way to lock em up. Besides you can always turn up the RADIO! Just don't run High HP or large meats with this setup!

Okay so selectable lockers are out.
Putting a Lockright in the front will eliminate the issues CJim7 and Mattduran were talking abut. You would only have those issues when your in 4WD

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom